Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

tuners via e-mail?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 07:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by andrew383
he does but if you change the hpt file to a .bin file he can make changes for you
To bad you can't do that
Old 09-28-2008, 07:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Charlie does great tunes.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by outlawz2004
but they are locked right? anyone ever dealt with pcmsforless?

oh and by the way thanks for helping find the turbo parts KB, very reasonable and helpful!!!

Last edited by t_thall; 09-28-2008 at 08:36 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by t_thall
but they are locked right? anyone ever dealt with pcmsforless?
They are.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:10 PM
traveling mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kbracing96
To bad you can't do that
why would he tell me to change the file then?

Originally Posted by outlawz2004
good tuner... can be hard to get ahold of
Originally Posted by t_thall
anyone ever dealt with pcmsforless?
pcmforless tunes are not locked,very good customer service and great tuners
Old 09-30-2008, 08:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by andrew383
why would he tell me to change the file then?
The only way you can get a raw .bin file is if you have a old un-updated version of HPT. That's the only tuning software I know of that doesn't read out the .bin file from the pcm and then save it in their (both EFILive and HPTuners) custom encrypted format.

As far as I know there is no way to covert an EFILive file OR a HPT file back to a .bin format. It's not as easy as just changing the file type to .bin, that won't work.

Edit: What he was probable talking about is if your PCM as been tuned with HPTuners, then you could read that tune out of the PCM with efilive and then make the changes and reload the updated tune with EFILive as long as it's not a custom HPT operating system.

Last edited by kbracing96; 09-30-2008 at 11:01 PM.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:58 PM
TECH Resident

I wish this was more popular myself. I mainly wanted to avoid sending off my stock ecm and just be able to load a tune. I also always want to have my stock tune to load back in if I sell the truck or anything. I know most are reluctant to do the email tunes, for fear of their tuning being copied. A good alternative would be to offer custom tunes with a programmer like SCT or Diablo. This has been around on fords for a while, but never has really taken of on gm. On my powerstoke I ordered three tunes for an SCT programmer and they only cost $45.00 each emailed to me.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Leroy_454
I wish this was more popular myself. I mainly wanted to avoid sending off my stock ecm and just be able to load a tune. I also always want to have my stock tune to load back in if I sell the truck or anything. I know most are reluctant to do the email tunes, for fear of their tuning being copied. A good alternative would be to offer custom tunes with a programmer like SCT or Diablo. This has been around on fords for a while, but never has really taken of on gm. On my powerstoke I ordered three tunes for an SCT programmer and they only cost $45.00 each emailed to me.
EFILive is working on this with there AutoCAL units, but its about a year or so over due. From what I hear, its working well, just need more testing. Basically it's like a SCT programmer, a tuner can sell you it and you can upload tunes to your pcm and sent tunes back and forth via email. And it does black box logging too.

Last edited by kbracing96; 09-30-2008 at 11:14 PM.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Ive never seen hptunes converted to efilive. Like KB said you would have to read the stock pcm with the other one that you wanted to use. You also couldnt be in a COS from either I would assume. I would try wheatley.

Also I remember one of the efilive admins stating that both hptuners and eflive both kinda agreed not to break each other encrypting codes in their tunes. To keep the softwares different.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by kbracing96
EFILive is working on this with there AutoCAL units, but its about a year or so over due. From what I hear, its working well, just need more testing. Basically it's like a SCT programmer, a tuner can sell you it and you can upload tunes to your pcm and sent tunes back and forth via email. And it does black box logging too.
This is good to hear. I think its long overdue. No more PCM swapping and having to stock up on cores. Its hard to find good tuners local in many areas, and I just havnt put much time into learning the entire tuning process. I would love to see respected tuners and sponsors jump on board if EFI live makes this available. I might even sell my Hptuners.

Quick Reply: tuners via e-mail?