Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Trouble getting in contact with Justin (BlackBear)

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 12:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gadgetized
I was having the same problems as Steve-O-08, along with my rev limiter being below my shift points, and the truck running extremely rich.
I've had these experiences with a bb tune.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:08 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

There is no need to get in to politics.
It was only supposed to be a base tune so he could get the truck running with the new engine and not damage the motor. With some help from me and another member we tweeked it so it would run.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:18 PM
Hello Dave

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Steven,

You should have received an email from me about 30 minutes ago. The multiple replies with the same subject caused me to never see your email in my inbox. We use Gmail for blackbearperformance.com mail and as such, it groups every message by subject/conversation. Each time a new message comes in, it bumps that entire email chain to the top of the list and we work from the bottom (oldest) conversation on up. Sorry for that delay, but the many positives of using Gmail help offset this negative aspect.

Originally Posted by Gadgetized
I have not heard very good things about Justin's tuning lately. I can understand that he won't hand out his phone number as he would be bothered every 10 seconds. I was having the same problems as Steve-O-08, along with my rev limiter being below my shift points, and the truck running extremely rich. I asked him numerous times to fix the issues, and he didn't or couldn't for some reason. everyone says he is very busy, but that is no excuse. He is in a business where customer service is very important. If he wants to take our money, he should be able to finish a tune in a reasonable amount of time. What I am saying might sound harsh, but if anyone had to go through the problems I did, and eventually just drop him as a tuner in order to get the truck finished, they would see where I am coming from. I have learned quite a bit about tuning in the past few months, and have done most of it myself. My truck is running light years better than it was. Don't be afraid to purchase tuning software, and tune your own vehicle. It will be cheaper in the long run, and it will run exactly the way you want it to.
I think this is a bit unfair of you daryl. As you recall, after much back and forth, you had your injectors flow tested and confirmed that they were flowing FAR more than they were supposed to. After that realization, the initial tune I sent over (or a slight variant of it) was very close to target. Last time we spoke, I was waiting on a log file from you that included meth, so that it could be dialed in to completion.

I could have just taken what you told me at face value, set your VE table up in the 50-60% range across the board as the log file suggested and left it at that. That would not have been right and would have thrown everything off (spark, shift pressures, unpredictable fuel delivery), and that is why your tuning was taking as long as it did. Were your injectors sized properly from the get go, we would have been done in a week or so with everything.

As far as WOT shift points and rev limiters go. There have been a couple over the years that due to my order of operations were mistakenly left lower than they should have, but that would amount to .1% of all tunes completed. What happens more often than not is the looseness of the torque converter can be a bit variable at high RPM. There is no perfect way to calculate what a shift speed (mph) will be relative to engine RPM with a 3k+ converter when it is unlocked. I shoot for a speed that equates to at least 1000rpm converter slip, often much more (depending on vehicle configuration), but sometimes that isn't even enough and converters are not all built the same. My "2800" in my silverado ss will brake stall to 3200 and flash to 3400+.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:35 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Justin Thanks for Responding on the forum.

Would it be wise for some one comunicating through Email to change the subject of the email or add a number to the subject so that You would see a change in the Chain of comunication??? Or any other recomendations???
Old 08-28-2011, 07:27 PM
Hello Dave

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Justin Thanks for Responding on the forum.

Would it be wise for some one comunicating through Email to change the subject of the email or add a number to the subject so that You would see a change in the Chain of comunication??? Or any other recomendations???
If they are in close proximity, then the same subject would be fine. If emails are coming a day apart, then it would be best to adjust the subject slightly.

FWIW, Steve's primary "problem" here looks to be O2 sensor related, both from the log file he sent as well as the fact that all 4 sensors have heater codes (popped fuse?). No heaters + headers = poor O2 response.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:54 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by dc_justin
If they are in close proximity, then the same subject would be fine. If emails are coming a day apart, then it would be best to adjust the subject slightly.

FWIW, Steve's primary "problem" here looks to be O2 sensor related, both from the log file he sent as well as the fact that all 4 sensors have heater codes (popped fuse?). No heaters + headers = poor O2 response.
I was out of town this last week. I haven't seen him since I loaned him My V2.
There was something that poped up before We loaded the tune and I told him to double check wireing and Grounds.

I didnt want to step on your toes as per the tuning since I don't have any tuning experince. I only wanted to make sure he uploaded the tune correctly and that it was running correctly before he attempted to drive it. I also showed him how to log and upload/download a tune. I Only asked another member for emergency guidence since he needed to move the truck and I was leaving. I told him to keep trying to contact you and ask what you wanted him to log and to keep it conservative if he drives it. I am sure some tables are more usefull then others when makeing adjustments.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Justin, I sent you a PM.