Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Tip for MPG Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 09:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Subd
Old 11-18-2011, 10:12 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been hoping to get some others to add to this thread

Old 11-18-2011, 10:25 AM
FormerVendor

I have changed shift points to increase MPG.

I have a tune currently that will shift into 4th and lock up the converter by 45 mph. It's not what you think

If I am city driving in traffic. The car goes 1st ----- 2nd -- 3rd,4th,lockup and rpm's are at 1250. The truck doesn't need very much horsepower at this rate.

I need to data-log it again, but I think about 15% TPS it will shift out of first at 25 mph and then into 3rd at 45 mph.

That a big difference. When it goes from 2nd to 4th lockup it is not lugging the engine.
Sorry if this offends anyone, but I am in the south and they drive slow as slow can be. People accelerate so slow it take 8 blocks on average to get up to the 45 mph speed limit. When you accelerate that slow you don't need that much power and you can have the shift points adjusted based off of load.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:41 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

People drive like ******** around here, sometimes slow, sometimes fast... Regardless lol, I've got 3-4 shift set at 37mph and lockup at 42mph.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:53 AM
FormerVendor

Lowering idle speed helps with MPG also. The newer E-Assist Vehicles shut off the engine at a stop.

If you get the idle low say 400 rpms and you get it stable at 400 you will save MPG. You can adjust the rpm decay so it doesn't got drop to 400. Set it up so it will drop down after 1 minute of idle
Old 11-18-2011, 10:53 AM
FormerVendor

What about DCFC?
Old 11-18-2011, 11:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. Thats alot of info up there.
I tuned mine open loop speed density, with it leaned out to 15.5 cruising and was able to to add a fair amount of timing.
Need to hook up the LC1 wideband and go back over the VE table. My PLX read crazy numbers.

I keep a close eye on my map sensor readings while towing and cruising. Lower the number the less the load on the engine.

Also slow and smooth throttle transistions help a good bit. Nothing is more aggravating than riding with some one that uses the gas pedal like a air pump. And then wonder why their mileage sucks.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:25 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

I have DFCO enabled. I also run 40°+ of timing in my cruise cells, so I still get 21 on the highway
Old 11-18-2011, 11:47 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
Wow. Thats alot of info up there.
I tuned mine open loop speed density, with it leaned out to 15.5 cruising and was able to to add a fair amount of timing.
Need to hook up the LC1 wideband and go back over the VE table. My PLX read crazy numbers.

I keep a close eye on my map sensor readings while towing and cruising. Lower the number the less the load on the engine.

Also slow and smooth throttle transistions help a good bit. Nothing is more aggravating than riding with some one that uses the gas pedal like a air pump. And then wonder why their mileage sucks.
So is that
15.5 on E10 pump gas with the proper Stoich setting?
or
15.5 on E10 pump gas with stoich at 14.68 making you over 16.1 to 1?
or
Have you never seen E10?

If you are at 16.1 like a lot of people that lean out the engine are then how does the MBT work?
Old 11-18-2011, 11:53 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by smokeshow
I have DFCO enabled. I also run 40°+ of timing in my cruise cells, so I still get 21 on the highway
I have played with DCFC on many customers vehicles and my own. If I set it up as less delay I find most people don't like it. Now I have the idle set low and the rpm decay set rather fast. On highway I like a little more DCFC, but what I have found when I have my idle set low and the decay set just to prevent stalling I can just get a little more out of DCFC, but not much.
I have read were guy do all sorts of things to DCFC and it works for them, but my customers don't like the feel

Quick Reply: Tip for MPG Tuning