PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/tuning-diagnostics-electronics-wiring-161/)
-   -   Tip for MPG Tuning (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/tuning-diagnostics-electronics-wiring-161/tip-mpg-tuning-489108/)

CalEditor@PCMCalibrators 09-21-2011 11:19 AM

Tip for MPG Tuning

The way you can change MPG if by changing the AirFlow.

If you decrease airflow at a given Speed you will increase MPG. If you increase horse power you will need less throttle angle to maintain given speed and this will mean less airflow. This is related to Means best Timing or Torque.

Compression ratio has an effect on how efficient gas burns.
to be continued

Rhino79 09-22-2011 11:20 AM

Agreed, added timing has shown me better gains than trying to jack with 02 shift points. Especially.with e10

03LQ9 09-23-2011 02:39 PM

Lean cruise tuning seems to work as well.

CalEditor@PCMCalibrators 09-23-2011 02:41 PM

Lean cruise will work, but with E10% your already about 15.3 to 1

smokeshow 09-23-2011 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by CalEditor@PCMCalibrators (Post 4777370)
If you increase horse power you will need less throttle angle to maintain given speed and this will mean less airflow.

Do you mean to say decrease horsepower? Airflow is almost directly proportional to horsepower. Increasing torque at a given throttle angle would net better mileage...same reason why diesels can get such good mileage and still weigh 8000 pounds. More torque at less RPM = less horsepower = less fuel consumed.

CalEditor@PCMCalibrators 09-23-2011 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by smokeshow (Post 4778939)
Do you mean to say decrease horsepower? Airflow is almost directly proportional to horsepower. Increasing torque at a given throttle angle would net better mileage...same reason why diesels can get such good mileage and still weigh 8000 pounds. More torque at less RPM = less horsepower = less fuel consumed.

That is my point!

Increasing horse power is the only true way to increase MPG!

CalEditor@PCMCalibrators 09-23-2011 03:07 PM

Whe horse power is increased at a given RPM the engine will need less airflow and fuel flow is 100% dirrectly related to the airflow.

Say you have real gas and an AFR of 14.68 to 1. That is the target that the engine is trying to reach. If you are flowing 10 g/sec at cruise. You hook up your trailer and boat. You will increase air flow to maintian the same given vehicle speed. This will decrease MPG. It take more HP.
I didn't say using the HP.

Pull out 10 deg of timing at cruise RPM and lower your HP and tell me if your MPG goes up or down

smokeshow 09-23-2011 03:18 PM

I suppose I just word it differently lol. I think we're saying the same thing...hold RPM constant, increase timing to increase torque, then close the throttle slightly to decrease airflow so you're not using all of that horsepower potential. Then you can shift to a higher gear with the added torque, etc.

CalEditor@PCMCalibrators 09-23-2011 03:38 PM

4th gear converter locked cruising at 70mph. The more air you flow the more gas you burn

CalEditor@PCMCalibrators 09-23-2011 03:40 PM

What about PE? should it be delayed or no delay?

If PE is delayed you may think this will increase over all MPG, but for the most part it will not. If you set PE to come in very early then you will be flowing less air over a given distance