Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Put back to stock now truck runs like crap...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 01:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Put back to stock now truck runs like crap...

The truck had headers, CAI, and e-fans. We took all those off and put stock replacements. Now the truck runs like crap. When started the RPM's surge up to about 4k then drop down and idle is about 500rpm. It never used to be under 700rpm with the bolt ons. It is still using the mail order Wheatley tune.

I was just wondering if anyone has had this problem and is it because of the mail order tune? Perhaps stock parts aren't sufficient enough for the tune? It smells like it's running rich perhaps because now the air mixture is different (does that make sense??)

Any help would be appreciated...
Old 07-14-2009, 02:31 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by sc_customs
The truck had headers, CAI, and e-fans. We took all those off and put stock replacements. Now the truck runs like crap. When started the RPM's surge up to about 4k then drop down and idle is about 500rpm. It never used to be under 700rpm with the bolt ons. It is still using the mail order Wheatley tune.

I was just wondering if anyone has had this problem and is it because of the mail order tune? Perhaps stock parts aren't sufficient enough for the tune? It smells like it's running rich perhaps because now the air mixture is different (does that make sense??)

Any help would be appreciated...
Yes if the truck was dialed in for what you had done and now the truck is bone stock again it isnt going to run quite right on that tune.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:37 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tis because of the tune.
When you add headers you need to retune. So the same is going to apply with taking them off.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:40 PM
TECH Junkie

definitely needs to be flashed back to stock. The headers (with or without cats) flow a hell of a lot better and differently than the stock manifolds.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

I think a dealership can flash it back.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:12 PM
On The Tree

good stuff guys thanks for the info. that was my suspicions as well.

that also brings up another question. My brother-in-law is the one that took all the parts and he is putting the headers, CAI, and e-fans on his truck. What is the possibility that switching out his stock ECM with my tuned ECM would work? Only thing is his truck is an 04 5.3 escb 4wd and my truck is a 00 4.8 rcsb 2wd.

Just in case this is a no go...how much is a re-flash??

Last edited by sc_customs; 07-14-2009 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:15 PM
TECH Addict

considering all they have to do is plug it in.... its free for them. They don't have to put in any effort at all. So i'd imagine cheap. Not sure though
Old 07-14-2009, 03:28 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sc_customs
good stuff guys thanks for the info. that was my suspicions as well.

that also brings up another question. My brother-in-law is the one that took all the parts and he is putting the headers, CAI, and e-fans on his truck. What is the possibility that switching out his stock ECM with my tuned ECM would work? Only thing is his truck is an 04 5.3 escb 4wd and my truck is a 00 4.8 rcsb 2wd.

Just in case this is a no go...how much is a re-flash??
Won't work. PCMs are different.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:18 AM
On The Tree

Ok so I had Charlie put the PCM back to stock and I did the security relearn earlier this evening and the truck still runs horrible.

On startup, the engine revs to about 2500-2800rpm, then drops down low to about 500 and sounds like it wants to die. In neutral the truck with rev up to about 2000 rpms and stay there.

Highway speeds are fine and shifts are smooth it's just idling rough when in park or while in gear sitting at a light..

The only things we unplugged and plugged back in are the MAF and o2 sensors but those were never an issue before.

It just doesn't make sense that the truck was running great with the mods and now with stock parts it runs like ***.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated..
Old 07-29-2009, 02:23 AM
Where's the Beef?

It may need to do an Idle relearn. Or you need to clean the MAF.

Quick Reply: Put back to stock now truck runs like crap...