Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

OBDII Diagnostic Tool - Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 09:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBDII Diagnostic Tool - Suggestions

So I've got a car that is to the age where there will likely be a few issues here and there and so it got me thinking about getting a diagnositic computer to assist me in identifying problems and help me in tracking issues down with more than just providing me a DTC code for me to look up.

So what I am looking for is some suggestions on hand held type units that have more ability than a simple code reader/reset tool. I would like to be able to for example, command the radiator fan to turn on in order to try and track down a possible wiring issue. I don't really have a budget yet and this could end up being totally out of the question if they are too expensive but basically i am looking for a unit that can be used to identify and help me solve problems along with of course resetting codes. I am just starting my search so any recommendations towards certain units, abilities i should look for in a unit, prices, literature etc would be greatly appreciated. Keep in mind I am not looking necessarily for tuning, but for diagnositic and repair type issues.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:01 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

This is really a grey area. When It comes to Diagnostic tool's there is no 1 scanner fit's all automotive brands.

I have some questions for you

1. How much are you willing to spend???

2. What type of vehicles will you primarily be working with???

3. How old are the vehicles you will be working with???

There are several options on the market ranging from a few hundred dollars and going upwards of $10,000. If your not going to be doing this for a living, you may want to consider something that is used in good condition and update it as needed.

What your looking for is something that has Bi-directional capabilities. This will allow you to control things like the Fan functions directly from the tool to see if there is an issue with the wiring.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:35 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What is the vehicle that you want it to work on?
Old 01-13-2013, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your full fledged scanners are of two types, the Tech2 and the software driven type. They both have full function scan abilities but also have additional "modules" you can purchase for specific manufacturers to perform added functions. The snap on Tech2 is the most common of the hand held units and the Ease software is probably the leader of the software based units. I believe all the Tier 1 scanners have wireless capabilities and bidirectional functionality. However you are going to pay $800-8000 and up for these units.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:52 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordy M
Your full fledged scanners are of two types, the Tech2 and the software driven type. They both have full function scan abilities but also have additional "modules" you can purchase for specific manufacturers to perform added functions. The snap on Tech2 is the most common of the hand held units and the Ease software is probably the leader of the software based units. I believe all the Tier 1 scanners have wireless capabilities and bidirectional functionality. However you are going to pay $800-8000 and up for these units.
Was this a drunken post??? There is alot of False and just plan wrong info Posted here.