Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Need Check Engine Light Help!!!!!! Mass Air Flow Sensor?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Check Engine Light Help!!!!!! Mass Air Flow Sensor?!?!?!

Okay, so I'm new to the site and I'm sure that you guys can all help me and I hope so because either I'm just a moron or I'm totally stumped. So about six months ago my check engine light camo on. It threw code 0171 and 0174 bank one and bank two running either too rich or too lean. This is usally a mass air flow sensor. So I pulled the sensor and cleaned it with the MAS cleaner. It went off for about 4 months. Came back on and I repeated this merry go round for about 2 months until about a week ago it was comming on so frequently I figure a new one wouldn't hurt. So i put a new one on and the code went off for the last week and just came back on today. I need help guys. Should I change both oxygen sensors before the cats? I am getting ready to have my buddy tune the truck, should I just have him turn the codes off? Anything would be appreciated because it's driving me nuts!

Thanks!
Old 05-05-2009, 12:33 AM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you have a dry air filter or oil filter like K&N?
Old 05-05-2009, 06:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by viciousknid
do you have a dry air filter or oil filter like K&N?
It's an oiled filter (spectre) but one like a K & N. It's on a Cold air intake system. I made sure the whole thing was tight and the filter is only like 3000 miles old so it's still clean.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

good possibility that there is too much oil on the filter and it is screwing with the MAF readings
Old 05-05-2009, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sonoma43
good possibility that there is too much oil on the filter and it is screwing with the MAF readings
Well my code has been going on and off since before the CAI. I had stock intake with a k & n filter and it was still doing the same stuff. It is just more frequent now.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:55 PM
TECH Addict

The K&N panel filters are also oiled......

Use some electrical cleaner from the auto parts store and carefully spray the MAF wires down.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

try finding a vacuum leak and change you fuel filter. 171 and 174 are lean codes. either too much air or not enough fuel. if air is coming in somewhere other than through the mass air sensor then it is not accounted for. chances are if you cleaned and replaced the sensor and the problem is still there then the sensor is not at fault.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:48 AM
Teching In

Im sure this wont help you any but when my cats got plugged the only code they were throwing was for my mass air flow sensor. but mine was so bad when I flored it the truck would actually slow down n pop n ping just a suggestion to check your backpressure after the cats.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Could be something like dirty injectors too. Might want to hit it with a strong dose of injecter cleaner. Just a suggestion.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:15 PM
Banned

im getting the same code.. dude.. I still get the CODE at WOT . . . people say its a leak or something with AIR/FUEL . .. havent figured out what it is . . im running K&N 2 . . But I doint OIl my filter.. what are u all using to clean ur MAF ?

Quick Reply: Need Check Engine Light Help!!!!!! Mass Air Flow Sensor?!?!?!