Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

LS2 Swap and throwing P0343 code...

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 08:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS2 Swap and throwing P0343 code...

Alright guys/girls, looking for some help in trying to diagnose this problem. I have a 2002 GMC RCSB and I did a LS2 swap. Now when I fire it up I throw the P0343 code which is a high input on the cam sensor. I have already changed the sensor out and it still throws the code. The engine fires up fine sometimes and other times its spins for awhile and back fires through the exhaust. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:10 PM
On The Tree

TTT....Come on folks I know someone has swapped in a LS2 and had the same problem. How did you guys fix it?
Old 10-09-2011, 01:57 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cam postion problem - LS1TECH

here is ur fix bro
Old 10-17-2011, 12:17 PM
On The Tree

Alright guys/gals, I switched the wires on the katech ext. harness and I'm still getting the same code and problems. Does anyone else have a clue what I could do, its annoying that my truck looks like a piece of junk cuz it won't start?
Old 11-24-2011, 07:00 AM
TECH Addict

I am having the same problem. yeah backfiring thru the exhaust sucks.

Anyone fix this yet or find out the cause
Old 11-24-2011, 09:00 AM
FormerVendor

What year LS2 and what type of software was use to tune it?
Old 11-28-2011, 07:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CalEditor@PCMCalibrators
What year LS2 and what type of software was use to tune it?
Well my truck is a 2002 GMC and I have a 2005-2006 SSR LS2 in there. It was tuned by Wheatley. Any ideas?
Old 11-29-2011, 11:25 AM
FormerVendor

DTC P0343

Circuit Description

The camshaft position (CMP) sensor works in conjunction with a 1 X reluctor wheel on the camshaft. The powertrain control module (PCM) provides a 12-volt reference to the CMP sensor as well as a low reference and a signal circuit.

The CMP sensor determines whether a cylinder is on a firing stroke or on an exhaust stroke. As the camshaft rotates, the reluctor wheel interrupts a magnetic field produced by a magnet within the sensor. The sensors internal circuitry detects this and produces a signal which the PCM reads. The PCM uses this 1 X signal in combination with the crankshaft position (CKP) sensor 24 X signal in order to determine CKP and stroke. This diagnostic for the CMP sensor checks for a loss of CMP sensor signal.

As long as the PCM receives the CKP sensor 24 X signal, the engine will start. The PCM can determine top dead center (TDC) for all cylinders by using the CKP sensor 24 X signal alone. The CMP sensor 1 X signal is used by the PCM to determine if the cylinder at TDC is on the firing stroke, or the exhaust stroke. The system attempts synchronization and looks for an increase in engine speed indicating the engine started. If the PCM does not detect an increase in engine speed, the PCM assumes the PCM incorrectly synchronized to the exhaust stroke and re-syncs to the opposite cam position. A slightly longer cranking time may be a symptom of this condition.

Conditions for Running the DTC

The engine speed is less than 4,000 RPM.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

The PCM detects the CAM signal is stuck high when the signal should be low for 1.5 seconds.

Diagnostic Aids

The following conditions may cause this DTC to set:

• Camshaft reluctor wheel damage

• The sensor coming in contact with the reluctor wheel

Using Freeze Frame/Failure Records data may aid in locating an intermittent condition. If you cannot duplicate the DTC, the information included in the Freeze Frame/Failure Records data can aid in determining how many miles since the DTC set. The Fail Counter and Pass Counter can also aid determining how many ignition cycles the diagnostic reported a pass or a fail. Operate the vehicle within the same Freeze Frame conditions such as RPM, load, vehicle speed, temperature, etc. that you observed. This will isolate when the DTC failed.

The CMP sensor output can be tested. The sensor must be supplied with a power and a ground. The engine must be cranking to perform this test. You can measure the duty cycle at the signal circuit of the sensor. The duty cycle should be between 45–55 percent for a good sensor.

1. Connect a scan tool.
2. Start the engine.
3. Use the scan tool in order to monitor the CMP signal input high-to-low and low-to-high transition parameter.

Does the scan tool parameter increment? YES or NO
Old 11-29-2011, 11:26 AM
TECH Addict

Thats the step I am on waiting for a scan tool hopefully have one today
Old 06-30-2018, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was it ever fixed?? Need help

Quick Reply: LS2 Swap and throwing P0343 code...