Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

A little tuning help, 6.2 yukon

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 06:15 PM
Launching!

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Default A little tuning help, 6.2 yukon

2012 yukon denali, 6.2/6l80 awd flex fuel
218/228 .600/.600 VVT cam,pac springs,pushrods,trunions
3k converter, circle d 278mm, 40k trucool
1-7/8 long tubes/ypipe, no cats
ls3 tb/ cone intake+tube
flex fuel sensor

Just recently picked up hptuners, truck has been tuned (on dyno+street) and it runs pretty good by a local tuner. Still feels a little conservative, more vve tuning im sure couldnt hurt, and sometimes feels great sometimes not to much> ie want to go through some of the spark modifer tables and see what may be pulling timing, what inputs should i log, etc.

I have a PLX wideband sitting here just havent swapped it in - the controller has a simulated narrow band output - would it be safe to use in place of the narrow band or should i put in another bung and only read the wideband leaving the stock? I wont be doing much wot tuning until its in.

Just wanted to see if anyone could give it a quick look and point out anything glaringly obvious i dont see. There are a few "unconventional" things that caught my eye, some low rpm cam angle and spark that im not sure if it was put in to smooth out the idle or what. the data log was from the first night I did a few tweaks to the tune so i was taking it easy for the most part. I will do one with a few WOT pulls if i can later.
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
7-6-18.hpt (1.42 MB, 43 views)
File Type: hpl
11.hpl (2.10 MB, 50 views)
Old 07-10-2018, 07:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Add knock retard, cylinder airmass, injector pulse width avg for both banks, any of the spark correction tables like IAT spark, ECT spark, torque mngt stuff if you want to see if any timing is being pulled by those.

You are better off having the wideband on it's own, I never liked those piggy back narrow band outputs.

I'm not sure why they did the VVT stuff like they did, possibly to make it not such a slug way down low. Then the rest of the table is stock and could surely be changed to use the VVT better. Bringing it in lower isn't a bad idea. Instead of tailing off and having nothing for 1,000-1,200 rpm it could just carry on. Would even be worthwhile to do the desired angle tables completely different than the way it currently is. Bring it in starting at 1,300-1,400rpm and peaking out at 6-8 past 4,000-4,500rpm. I'm just thinking out loud here. It's kinda how I did mind on a my stock 5.3 truck, just brought the number further down in the table.

The high and low octane timing curves are exactly the same, that is not good at all. If there was knock the computer does not have a low octane timing table to look at for lower timing. My rule of thumb is leave it 2-3 degrees less in the low octane table, Factory tables have it more than 2-3 degrees in most area's just for reference.

Your tuner left the cat test enable even though you deleted the cats. You will want to disable that under the engine diag tab.

Some of the transmission stuff is personal preference type stuff. I do less on the shift speed and actual shift pressure but more with the on-coming pressure presets to get my happy medium. I just don't get to wild with them because they don't require much. It's enough to bark the 1-2 shift most of the time depending on what road it's on in 2wd.

This is just some stuff I saw in a quick glance over.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:51 PM
Launching!

sounds good, I'll add those the logging

wideband - i'm going to pull the headers back out and wrap them- try and get some heat out of engine bay, i will see if i can get another bung welded in at the same time. Also have atomic poly mounts to put in, figured id change plugs while im there - stay with the ac delco 41-110? or ive seen ngk tr5 or tr55 used not sure if any benefit to going with larger gap.

The VVT is what i tweaked a little bit from the other tuner, he started to roll them in at like 4k rpm and only rolled up to 5 max (in addition to the low rpm). The cam is from TSP, the tables they provide zero out everything below 3600rpm and ramp up even softer than it is now. I tried a tune with the straight TSP tables and it was a dog down low. So I left the low rpm that tuner had put in and added retard a little more aggressively than TSP tables and moved the shift points up another 200 rpm, didnt touch any timing tables. mid range (corresponding with the gap between retard) does feel a little lacking. I think im going to get to the point where i should have just done a nonVVT cam if i retard it throughout the entire table lol.

spark tables - not sure if i should raise high, or lower low - on 93 it feels like a turd compared to running E85. I may do a few logs with 93 and see if anymore timing helps before i change one or the other but good catch. I will usually use e85 but need to be mindful of when to fill up if i know i wont be near a station.

cat test enable - removed, i will prob make a few other tweaks before updating.

transmission - atm im pretty happy with how it shifts, prob wont touch it until it doesnt feel right. check level pretty regularly and make sure it doesnt smell burnt.

appreciate it!
Old 07-12-2018, 01:02 PM
Launching!

made a few different changes, on different tunes, just to see if any improvement. Also confirmed (per question in vvt cal thread) i do only have 6* of retard available watching commanded and actual position. TSP cam angle table maxes out right about 6 I assume that it is taken into consideration guess i will see how that works out.

Tried a tune with the cam retarded throughout most of the WOT cells, adjusted the timing in the VCT table and smoothed it in, was probably safe to drive but it wasnt all that much better. did a few logs, loaded original tune. only had a degree or two of KR right at tip in.

Looking back at stock tunes, the low rpm cam angle may have just been left in from that point and softened up a little. perhaps it was zero'd out without touching the corresponding VCT spark tables (as i did), ran like **** so it was put back in. So i took TSP table values and input them for a tune, also adjusted the VCT spark table to take out all the extra timing accompanying it and smoothed it in with the surrounding values. havent had a chance to load and log but i think it may provide the best base to work off of moving forward.

All of the logs doing a WOT pull seem to hit a "hump" between 3k-4k rpm, im not sure if it's related to going from sd>maf transition, cam angle, or might just be loading up against the stall converter? started reducing timing in that range (was up to 30* at some cells), seems to help smooth the transition. also got caught needing 93, so ive just been modifying the high octane spark table.

also noticed that I am getting a lot of torque management advance, in between shifts (expected) but also when coming to a stop and while cruising it just seems to ping every couple of seconds shown in the attached log
Attached Files
93oct.hpl (2.51 MB, 43 views)

Last edited by randeez; 07-12-2018 at 08:44 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:50 PM
Launching!

my 3k-4k lull.... started logging TCC slip,from dead stop flash or foot brake it does the same.
log shows 2800rpm of slip (should be correct?) up to the stall speed of 3,000rpm. after that the slip gradually diminishes untill around 3800rpm, it will still show about 400rpm of slip and thats when it seems to start accelerating.
anyone have any idea if thats what it should be showing or am i blowing through the converter?

i seem to have taken speed off of these logs, but same scenario is shown on older logs just with out tcc slip, will accelerate up to 13ish mph and hang there for a second maybe even drop a mph or so then start to move again when the rpm gets up to about 3800
Attached Files
45.hpl (1.95 MB, 44 views)