Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Learning to tune

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 03:40 PM
Bit
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Learning to tune

The dealership that I work for has ordered HP tuner pro so we can adjust for tire size. I'm confident I can handle that. The service manager has made it clear that's all that we will mess with on a new truck and we will not be a tuning shop. I'm fine with that has I don't feel comfortable tuning yet. I do however want to learn so I can tune my 2014 rcsb. If anybody has any info, tips, tricks or can point me in the right direction. I would be greatful.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Contact txgmc08 @ jrxtuning @gmail.com
Old 08-24-2014, 05:01 PM
TECH Regular

HPT forum is full of info. Biggest part of learning to tune is to spend the time reading.

Learn one section at a time. There are a lot of parameters, and some do not make the difference you would expect.

There are tuning basics, ie tm removal, tire size gear ratios and shift points etc. Those are easy to learn and make a huge difference.

When you start getting into VE tuning, adding boost etc...that gets exponentially more complex.

The more you want or expect, the more reading and studying you must do.

That's what I've learned.

Best of luck
Old 08-24-2014, 05:07 PM
Bit
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jordan927
HPT forum is full of info. Biggest part of learning to tune is to spend the time reading.

Learn one section at a time. There are a lot of parameters, and some do not make the difference you would expect.

There are tuning basics, ie tm removal, tire size gear ratios and shift points etc. Those are easy to learn and make a huge difference.

When you start getting into VE tuning, adding boost etc...that gets exponentially more complex.

The more you want or expect, the more reading and studying you must do.

That's what I've learned.

Best of luck
That's more or less the answer I was looking for. Basically I want to start small. I will probably never tune a boosted ride, they are not that popular where I live. I guess I can turn things off like tm and DOD and not meas with anything else, until I learn more.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

Bit~ sent you a PM.