Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Hypertech Programmer For Chevy 6.2

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hypertech Programmer For Chevy 6.2

I know that a custom tune is better, but my Truck has 700 miles on it and I'm not ready to start with major mods yet. Does anyone have any direct experience with the hypertech programmer for the newer 6.2 vortecs with a 6L80e? My complaint right now is not with the engine but the trans. Current stock 0-60 times are 6.35 seconds with almost half a second being wasted in the 1-2 shift. I love the engine but the trans is pathetic, I can shift a 5 spd faster! Anyone with real experience please let me know.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:59 AM
On The Tree

sorry 4 not answering your question but you should go with the tune if something messes up ur tuner can still put the computer back to stock with no problems and dealership will not find out.... and im sure a tuner will wake your truck and shifts up i have tried programmers and you can modify the shift points rpms but there was no way to make them faster
Old 03-12-2013, 07:20 AM
Teching In

I had the same question with my 5.3. Every manufacturer seems to have a weak link with their performance. For the Nissan I had it was the WOT. For my new truck it seems to be the trans and torque mgmt. We could use handhelds to get rid of WOT but I don't think we can for the trans being slow or to minimize tq mgmt.

Having said that, while I'm sure the handhelds will add a tiny bump in performance, I don't think they'll address your problem. Which is why everyone here recommends a custom tune. Whether it be mail order from Nelson or Black Bear or the full autocal from BB, it's up to you.

Trust me, I've been waiting for someone to say just get Hypertech or Superchips if I'm not going to mod things too much, but nobody has. I find it hard to believe everyone is getting a kickback from the tuners, so I'm thinking they're not blowing smoke up our butts. I need to be able to put my truck back to stock easily so I may go with Autocal when the time comes. While I still find it hard to believe the handhelds do not have the capability in them for the "major" power restrictions on these trucks, it is what it is and the folks here have no reason to lie to me or you and they've been extremely helpful thus far with my previous questions.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Theres no kick back nor smoke blowing... Custom tuning really is alot better than most handhelds.

If you want to buy the software and tune it yourself, you will see just how much difference the small changes make.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:08 AM
On The Tree

I will probably go with BB. I'm curious if they can put the tune under the tow/haul and leave the rest stock
Old 03-12-2013, 10:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Tow Haul only adjust the trans shifting/TCC lockup, No engine parameters changed..

Do the Autocal and it will be worth it.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:14 AM
Teching In

Theres no kick back nor smoke blowing...
Agreed, that's what I said. Everyone has been helpful here and EVERYONE has recommended a tune instead of a handheld. Makes me think the handhelds just aren't that good at all.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:19 AM
On The Tree

So if I get the autocal can i go back to stock anytime? I really don't want to mess up with the warranty.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

oh they will know if you have programmed it.. even if you go back to the stock tune..
So if you dont wanna chance the warranty then dont play..
Old 03-12-2013, 11:41 AM
TECH Veteran

^^
Have to pay to play

A custom tune is well worth the money. The right person can get that transmission shifting amazing!

Quick Reply: Hypertech Programmer For Chevy 6.2