Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

How to Hold 1st gear with HPT?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 07:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Hold 1st gear with HPT?

I was on another thread and the topic of holding 1st gear came up. I thought i had known the answer to it to start off, but i might be wrong. I originally thought it was the shift kit, some people say it's in the tune. Now with my 4l60 i had a transgo and soon after i had a W4M pcm, it was a while ago. So a few weeks ago i tried holding 1st on my new 80 and it shift to 2nd at part throttle around 25mph. Now, i still think it's the shift kit, but on the thread on here someone said there is a table, granted it was for EFI Live, but then i got to thinking. I looked back and compared my 60E tune to my current tune. Noticed that in Full Throttle Shift Speed my performance table was set at a much higher mph in 1>2 and 2>3 than in the normal table, and noticed that performance is tow/haul or performance mode, so i though, if you go manually into 1st, i thinks you are in tow/haul or performance so if you raise that MPH then it wont shift, thus not allowing the tranny to shift to 2nd, WRONG! didn't work, so then i went to my part throttle % and noticed on my 60E that that was raised also from the normal table, so i went to my file and raised the % quite a bit, still didn't work. I 0'd out my 1>2 and 2>3 WOT shift mph, didn't work, but i like the idea of that because if you go WOT then it shifts at an rpm, and if you go part throttle it shifts with Throttle Percentage, so mph is taken out of the game and i don't have to worry about making it too high and hitting my rev limiter before i shift like i did a while ago.

Anyway, this either backs up what i was saying about the shift kit doing the work of this 1st gear hold situation, but now i'm still thinking about it and it's buggin me and you should be able to hold 1st gear manually through the tune. Anyway, hope someone can elaborate and help. It's not critical, just wondering.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:52 PM
TECH Junkie

With the tune you can raise or lower part throttle speed/rpm shifts. When i forst had my tune done the guy messed up and made it like 75mph part throttle for the 3-4 shift so he had to go in and lower it or else i never shifted into 4th/lockup unless i was on the interstate.
So yeah you can make it stay in the gear longer at part throttle if you wish.Just set the tables up correctly and leave it in D.
Otherwise you can install a shift kit...the Trans Go shift kit's for example once installed give you the abilty to drop it in first and hold it til you wish..aka you actually put it in 2 from 1.
You can also take off in 2nd if you wish with the shift kit.Unless you put it in 2nd and go WOT then it will take off in 1st.
You can't however take off in 3rd. It will just take off in 1st.
Hope this helps a little.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:15 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i am gonna re-read all of this, but my cat like eye reflexes (lmao) caught the zero'ing out speeds. Just remember what dc_justin pointed out awhile back. The 100% column in the part throttle shifts still has a mph and is referenced. I can't prove that, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to lower those too, especially sense we wouldn't care what those speeds are sense we only want WOT to shift at particular rpm not mph.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TouchOfEvil04
With the tune you can raise or lower part throttle speed/rpm shifts. When i forst had my tune done the guy messed up and made it like 75mph part throttle for the 3-4 shift so he had to go in and lower it or else i never shifted into 4th/lockup unless i was on the interstate.
So yeah you can make it stay in the gear longer at part throttle if you wish.Just set the tables up correctly and leave it in D.
Otherwise you can install a shift kit...the Trans Go shift kit's for example once installed give you the abilty to drop it in first and hold it til you wish..aka you actually put it in 2 from 1.
You can also take off in 2nd if you wish with the shift kit.Unless you put it in 2nd and go WOT then it will take off in 1st.
You can't however take off in 3rd. It will just take off in 1st.
Hope this helps a little.
Jo, thanks for the reply. I know the tranny tables very well, and was playing with them quite a bit today after work. The only thing i am trying to prove is that you have to have to correct shift kit and it be set up correctly to hold 1st at any rpm and it wont shift to 2nd. LIke i said, my 60E with the transgo would allow me to hold 1st even at like 5K rpm, and i could downshift from 3>2 or whatever gear i wanted at any rpm. I have a Superior shift kit in mine, came from FLT, and i just don't think that shift kit will allow the hold of first gear, either something wasn't drilled out, or enough springs put in or something, which i honestly don't really care about, i just want to know if you can make 1st gear hold FOREVER in first at any rpm with just the use of tuning. So say if you had a stock tranny, could you set up 1st gear to hold with HPT? I'll e-mail Chuck, but i'm sure it's ALL IN THE SHIFT KIT.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
i am gonna re-read all of this, but my cat like eye reflexes (lmao) caught the zero'ing out speeds. Just remember what dc_justin pointed out awhile back. The 100% column in the part throttle shifts still has a mph and is referenced. I can't prove that, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to lower those too, especially sense we wouldn't care what those speeds are sense we only want WOT to shift at particular rpm not mph.
haha, sorry about all of the short story . Anyway, I know it will still reference to that, but like you said, at WOT it's all in the rpm, and i 0'd them out and the shift stills acts as if i didn't change anything. I 0'd them out just to prove to myself what they did, i will change them back, but i always know to keep shift speed to a min, haha, lower is better than higher. Thanks for the rply though.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:46 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Mine has a Transgo and I know I can hold any gear if i manually put it there, it will keep on reving till it hits the rev. limit.

As for the WO shift points, can the MPH be zero'd? I could careless about the MPH rather I would just like to pick the RPM.........
Old 07-17-2007, 08:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
Mine has a Transgo and I know I can hold any gear if i manually put it there, it will keep on reving till it hits the rev. limit.

As for the WO shift points, can the MPH be zero'd? I could careless about the MPH rather I would just like to pick the RPM.........
Yes you can, i just did it like an hour ago. Like previously stated though, it does recognise the mph when shifting but when i set 1>2, 2>3, and 3>4 to 0 the shifts didn't change at all, i'll probably keep it that way. I kept the downshift mph's though cause i like having control of those. But the answer to your question is yes you can.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:03 PM
TECH Regular

pm'd chuck at FLT, he'll know.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:45 PM
TECH Junkie

I know all Trans Go shift kits allow you to hold a gear as it even states on the box you can do so with the kit.
No idea with the one you have that came from Vince.
If it's not then i guess it doesn't have that feature or like you said something was not setup to allow you to be able to do so.
I do know that every now and then mine will upshift into second on me if it feels the need i guess lol.
I can be goin along all fine and dandy in first then boom i'm in second like WTF....
Then the next time i do it it stays in first till redline if i want it to.
It's random though like maybe once out of every 20 times i drop it down or something.
Who knows as many times as i've broke the damn tranny haha.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:23 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TouchOfEvil04
I know all Trans Go shift kits allow you to hold a gear as it even states on the box you can do so with the kit.
No idea with the one you have that came from Vince.
If it's not then i guess it doesn't have that feature or like you said something was not setup to allow you to be able to do so.
I do know that every now and then mine will upshift into second on me if it feels the need i guess lol.
I can be goin along all fine and dandy in first then boom i'm in second like WTF....
Then the next time i do it it stays in first till redline if i want it to.
It's random though like maybe once out of every 20 times i drop it down or something.
Who knows as many times as i've broke the damn tranny haha.

Yah it's basically like i first said, it's all in the shift kit, you can tune shift points and shift percentages of throttle and WOT, but you can't hold first gear with just tuning. Anyway, i think i just wanted reassurance or something, haha.

Quick Reply: How to Hold 1st gear with HPT?