Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

has anyone disabled PE mode?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 09:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default has anyone disabled PE mode?

I have a semi OLSD tune, and have been debating to disable PE (performance enrichment) mode and making up for it on the VE, and boosted VE table. I have heard of people doing this, but do not know anyone who is using it. If anyone has done this, how do you like it?
Old 07-19-2011, 09:24 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

It is om as lomg as you updated your commanded afr table to a richer value in the higher kpa (80-100kpa for NA). If you use efi live, custom operating system 3 (COS3) is what you want to use. Leaving your commanded afr at stioch is and bastardizing your VE table is a horrible idea.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah, I am running COS3.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:34 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I view the PE mode as more of a tip-in enrichment as such it is required unless all throttle transitions are smooth and linear...
Old 07-20-2011, 06:47 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
I view the PE mode as more of a tip-in enrichment as such it is required unless all throttle transitions are smooth and linear...
That is not the purpose of PE at all. PE is to richen the mix under heavy load to keep the pistons cooler and provide more power. It only engages after a certain % tps. I don't recall what it is set at stock but mine is set at 65%. What you are saying is what the AE TPS or as efi live calls it the stomp compensation does. It gives a quick blast of fuel on a quick throttle opening to stave off any sudden lean condition from all that air rushing in the cylinders. FWIW I can't even feel a difference when mine has gone into PE. On my 95 PE is both a spark table to add timing based on engine speed and the enrichment table. That you can feel really good.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:49 AM
TECH Junkie

My reasoning behind asking this is because of the drastic change when I hit PE. It is not uncommon at all for me to be running a 13.00/13.5 AFR, go into PE, and the AFR will be 10.00/10.5 on the same cell. Mine is set to engage at 40-45 TPS, and it is extremely noticeable when I hit PE. You can even hear it easily. I just wanted a smooth transition as the kPa increased, and I figured disabling the PE, and correcting it through the VE tables would correct this since I am running an OLSD. I might tinker with this after work to see if it helps. Basically all I should have to do is multiply my VE tables by my PE enrichment to be close to what I need.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my cos tunes I don't use pe at all. Just make sure ve is spot on with iat and ect correction tables in and out of boost
Old 07-20-2011, 08:21 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

I tune entirely via the VE table with the Fast fuel injection systems. Then again, it doesn't have PE so there is no option otherwise.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:32 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oldred95
That is not the purpose of PE at all. PE is to richen the mix under heavy load to keep the pistons cooler and provide more power. It only engages after a certain % tps. I don't recall what it is set at stock but mine is set at 65%. What you are saying is what the AE TPS or as efi live calls it the stomp compensation does. It gives a quick blast of fuel on a quick throttle opening to stave off any sudden lean condition from all that air rushing in the cylinders. FWIW I can't even feel a difference when mine has gone into PE. On my 95 PE is both a spark table to add timing based on engine speed and the enrichment table. That you can feel really good.
I'm well aware of the many thresholds that must be meet before enabling power enrichment. Also please keep in mind there are suddle differences between efi and hptuners. Hptuners has no table as you describe, we users only have pe and some transient afjustments.

Originally Posted by Gadgetized
My reasoning behind asking this is because of the drastic change when I hit PE. It is not uncommon at all for me to be running a 13.00/13.5 AFR, go into PE, and the AFR will be 10.00/10.5 on the same cell. Mine is set to engage at 40-45 TPS, and it is extremely noticeable when I hit PE. You can even hear it easily. I just wanted a smooth transition as the kPa increased, and I figured disabling the PE, and correcting it through the VE tables would correct this since I am running an OLSD. I might tinker with this after work to see if it helps. Basically all I should have to do is multiply my VE tables by my PE enrichment to be close to what I need.
How does efi control pe? Is the table scaled using rpm or map?
Old 07-20-2011, 08:40 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Gadgetized
Can't speak for EFI, but HPT has an enrichment rate coefficient that smooths out the transition.

Quick Reply: has anyone disabled PE mode?