Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Gauge cluster issues, lights and gauges working randomly???

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 07:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Remington H.
Hey guys, newish member, been searching and reading alot but had a few questions. I recently bought an 06 silverado with the 5.3/4l60e and am having some issues with the gauges.

I have read several threads here with similar issues after doing tons of searching, but none had any definitive solutions to the problem.

1) The lights such as airbag,ses,abs,brake light in the dash stay on, or partly stay on.

2) The prnd321 gear indicator doesnt work usually. When it does, it cuts in and out like its a contact issue in the ground or source. When it does work, it also doesnt show the gear its in.

3) The speedo and tach normally work, but act like they are sticking when going through the rpm/mph sweep on the gauge. The tach also likes to get stuck at 6k rpm and not come down, or they both like to stop working all together, but not as often. Usually atleast these two gauges work.

4) The 4 small gauges for volts, oil pressure, coolant temp, and gas level havent worked in the last few weeks, but today after doing some maintenance stuff on the truck, cleaned the ground under the driver side of the cab and now they work about 4 out of 5 times in the truck, so atleast they are working some of the time now.

5) Also the message center displays the oil needs changed, did it, and now I cant program it because somebody stole the factory cd played out of it
I also get an unknown driver message/driver 1

6) also my scanner wont connect through the diagnostic port. Dont know why, had a little indicator that shows its communicating with the computer, and there is power through the circuit, tested it with a multimeter.

I think thats it. Any ideas? Has anybody out there had this or similar stuff happen and found a solution or fix that worked other than it fixed itself? I have gotten all of the maintenance stuff done on it fluid and mechanically, but would now like to chase down these little bugs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Remington
sounds like someone did a engine or trans swap in the truck at one time. I'd start with all the grounds on the back of the motor, and on the side of the block

1) ABS,SES lights ? . . . pull the codes. Check the harness under the seats on the passenger side too.

2) There's black box on the drivers side of the trans. Make sure that it's seated all the way. They usually come already "packed" with some water resistant RTV like sealer.

3) Sticky guages . . . this was mostly in the 03-04 clusters. The stepper motors go out. They would have a jerky kind of motion, max out, or nothing at all . . . very expensive part . . . $3-4 dollars on ebay.

4) Check the grounds on the back of the block. There's on on the wiring harness on the passenger side . . .

5) oil change . . . google that one . . . turn the ignitio forward . . . don't start . . pump the gas 7 times to reset the trip.

6) scanner . . . there's fuse for the cig lighter under the hood . . . small red fuse.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tips will have to check out the grounds you mentioned on the engine.

Got a few more things figured out a few days ago, just got back from new years with some friends and family.

Took the wiring clip off of the gear indicator switch on the transmission, cleaned it off inspected the wiring loom connected to it, it looked clean and couldnt see any breaks in the harness so I connected it back together and now the reverse lights are working no problem, time will tell I suppose.

The gear indicator in the cluster still doesn't work though, it keeps all the gears underlined or lit up. It has an earlier digital gear indicator so its pb an 03-04 cluster which makes sense on why the tach and speedo are sticking and acting up.

Also found out why the airbag lights are on, somebody swapped out the seats at one point for another set, but the newer seats dont connect to the factory wiring harness for the airbags in the seats, so I think that is why the airbag light has been coming on, there were also a few wires worn through as well so I will pb get a new harness that will connect to the seats that I have.

Also when I was under the truck inspecting the wiring harness, I found the harness and clip going into the abs pump is broken and wont connect or seal to the housing. So now that problem is solved, just have to get a new harness/clip and splice it in place.

Also the SES light went off after I changed out the oil, air filter, spark plugs and wires so I am thinking a dirty air filter might have tripped the ses light. It hasnt come back on either and its been about 75 miles of driving.

The cluster is still acting up a bit, but not nearly as bad as it was before. I took the ground off of the frame below the driver side door and sanded the frame down really well along with the rings and connected them back. But its weird, sometimes the cluster wont work period when I start the truck cold, but if I thump on it a few times, it will come on with all the gauges and lights. This makes me think its something to do with the cluster.

I was also able to hook up my scanner to the truck when the gauges were working well and there were no DTCs found in the system at all so that is a relief. But when the gauges starting acting up/cutting out and I got the unknown driver message, it lost communication with the computer.

The cig lighter fuse and all is doing fine, shows I have power on the scanner, just loses communication with the computer, and my car charger worked fine. It will just keep scanning and scanning trying to connect when the unknown driver message is going.

Also Tootall, by the black box on the driver side of the transmission, do you mean the gear indicator switch that the shifter is attached to?
Old 01-28-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

kinda old but ever since i put in a denali cluster in my 05 the battery light stays on all the time. anyone ever have this problem? when i put my stock one in i didnt have any problems.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by cwalker2006
kinda old but ever since i put in a denali cluster in my 05 the battery light stays on all the time. anyone ever have this problem? when i put my stock one in i didnt have any problems.
im assuming you put the right yrs cluster in, did you have it programmed? needs vin programmed from what ive read to work properly..
Old 01-28-2010, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

well i havent programmed it yet. and its from an 04 denali. ill get around to it sooner or later.