Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

fuel sending unit?? or electrical

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 09:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel sending unit?? or electrical

i have question and before i go digging into my truck i thought i'd ask for some advice from the PRO's. anyway, my fuel guage drops to "E" and the light comes on for no reason, but it's usually while in "park". as soon as i shift into drive though, the fuel kicks back up. but, sometimes i'll shift back from neutral to drive back and forth it'll fluctuate a little bit. at first i thought it'd be my fuel sending unit but i just want to make sure it doesn't sound like something else, a little bit more electrical before i drop the tank and all that. thanks for some help in advance.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:57 AM
TECH Resident

Check your connectors that go inside the fuel take for any corrosion.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:42 PM
Teching In

well what if it's not that? i'm going to look this weekend but if they're clean? does it sound like the sending unit? or a more of an electrical problem?
Old 03-17-2006, 04:38 PM
TECH Resident

sounds like the sender
Old 03-17-2006, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive Been Through That Before...its The Sending Unit. Just Replaced That Last Week. If U Have A Full Tank, Its Easiest To Take The Bed Off.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:29 PM
Teching In

what do you have to do to take the bed off? would it be easier to run the fuel down and then drop the tank?
Old 03-19-2006, 05:26 PM
TECH Resident

When I replaced my pump I had a half-full tank. I just used a piece of hose attached to the inlet side of fuel filter and let the fuel pump do the work, and if burns up who cares because it was going out anyways. There are only 2 bolts that hold the fuel tank in place, plus some hose and wire connectors. The total R&R was about 1.5 hrs.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:31 PM
TECH Resident

A buddie of mine has the same problem...Has anyone noticed that if you clear the trouble codes, that it will actually start reading true fuel level again?? We went on a drive around the neighborhood and came back to his house and it read fine...let it idle for a while....then it quit reading...cleared the codes with the engine running...BAM back to reading again, instantly. Disconnected from he Diag port, quit reading...hooked back up, cleared the codes...started reading again.

I was still reading correctly last night when we decided to call it quits. His guage RARELY EVER reads since he bought it...but when I decided to do some scans with the new HPTuner software, it started reading??? This doesnt necessarily sound like a sending unit problem...possibly a software related problem? Anyone else notice this?
Old 03-22-2006, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by A_W_O_L
A buddie of mine has the same problem...Has anyone noticed that if you clear the trouble codes, that it will actually start reading true fuel level again?? We went on a drive around the neighborhood and came back to his house and it read fine...let it idle for a while....then it quit reading...cleared the codes with the engine running...BAM back to reading again, instantly. Disconnected from he Diag port, quit reading...hooked back up, cleared the codes...started reading again.

I was still reading correctly last night when we decided to call it quits. His guage RARELY EVER reads since he bought it...but when I decided to do some scans with the new HPTuner software, it started reading??? This doesnt necessarily sound like a sending unit problem...possibly a software related problem? Anyone else notice this?
Hot damn I am going to have to try this
Old 03-23-2006, 07:20 PM
TECH Resident

u try it out yet??

Quick Reply: fuel sending unit?? or electrical