Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

frustrating stop light switch issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default frustrating stop light switch issues

Replaced stop light switch in my truck, its a 99, SOMEHOW advance gave me the wrong year switch (crazy I know) turns out it was for an 03. Put that switch in and it cured my convertor not disengaging lockup with a tap of the pedal. But then my damn breaklights were stuck on. I figured it was a faulty switch so I took it back and got the right year switch because they actually are different. figuring that was the problem I got the right year switch in it and now lockup will not disengage with a tap of the pedal. Ugh. Any ideas?
Old 03-31-2014, 01:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your brake switch is the 4 wire type, correct? Brown->Purple is the power interrupt for the TCC, Orange->White is the power to the brake lights. With the switch depressed, key on, there should be no voltage to ground from the Purple wire. If there is, the switch is either wrong, defective or improperly connected.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry about the long reaponse time, been a long work week. But yeah its the 4 wire switch. Torque convertor lockup worked correctly with the wrong switch but the brake lights stayed on. I've tried 3 dofferent switches of the correct year and my brake lights work fine but no torque convertor disengaging with a tap of the pedal. Is there a way to properly adjust anything down there? I mean all I could think of is maybe the actual rod that runs off the pedal but I dont see that helping when there is no adjustment where it actually pushes into the switch. The torque convertor shuddering down hills took out the thrust bearings in my last engine so I've been clicking it into tow/haul to disengage the convertor for now. Just pretty annoying-__-