Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Entering PE Faster

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 10:15 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Instead of 8* spark you'll be getting 16* of spark. That should be worth some ponies.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
Instead of 8* spark you'll be getting 16* of spark. That should be worth some ponies.
couldnt have said it better, my guess is 30-40rwhp over the entire graph might be able to run more timing than that with more fuel Id be shooting for 18-20* with 11.5 afr at 6lbs of boost or you might find you can make more power with less spark and being leaner

Last edited by 02sierraz71_5.3; 10-06-2006 at 12:09 AM.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:05 AM
Hello Dave

Originally Posted by 02sierraz71_5.3
couldnt have said it better, my guess is 30-40rwhp over the entire graph might be able to run more timing than that with more fuel Id be shooting for 18-20* with 11.5 afr at 6lbs of boost
Definitely at minimum, I'd assume a considerably greater gain even.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:27 AM

i was just being conservative for what we know. We know he isn't getting 16* like he should. ONce his setup is good and safe at 16* which it will be, crank her up. Let me and Tim know where ya go and when ya go. Might be able to swing coming to watch the show.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:40 AM
TECH Addict

mmmmmmmmmm 16*, that sounds nice... However, i did manage to see 13.5* with no KR last week at the track. That was with 228* IATs too.. Heey DEW, i stuck that video in the multimedia section as a ZIP file if you want it.

Its not gonna be long now. I got that Allison torque converter up for sale on Ebay, and about a grand in the "truck fun" account. She doesnt know about that one, and i highly suggest everyone open a new account just for truck stuff, even if you only stick $20 a week in there....its priceless. Another 2 weeks i figure i will be ordering it, hopefully have it on and ready before Thanksgiving.

So im thinking if i can manage 13.5* with IATs of 228*....i should be able to get 16*-17* out this sucker with 130* IATs. So whats better, more timing and less boost, or more boost and less timing? I would thing more timing and less boost right? It would be less stress on the motor for one thing.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:31 AM

The age ole question. Depends on who you ask...parish loves boost. LOL

You can only go so far with timing as well as boost dependant on the application-and timing is the most restrictive. With more boost you can build a motor to handle more, with timing it's just a calculation(prob not, but you get my point), you can only go so far, but in your situation I'd find your safe area in timing before you worry about anything else. 16* @ 130IAT shouldn't be an issue IMHO. I am getting 20* @ 140-150IAT, that's at the end of the track on a 89* day(MIR 2weeks ago). Even with meth I was getting kr at 24* and was at 150IAT and my IDC was only 76%. LOTS of meth.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:49 AM
TECH Addict

You can only go so far with timing as well as boost dependant on the application-and timing is the most restrictive. With more boost you can build a motor to handle more, with timing it's just a calculation(prob not, but you get my point), you can only go so far, but in your situation I'd find your safe area in timing before you worry about anything else. 16* @ 130IAT shouldn't be an issue IMHO. I am getting 20* @ 140-150IAT, that's at the end of the track on a 89* day(MIR 2weeks ago). Even with meth I was getting kr at 24* and was at 150IAT and my IDC was only 76%. LOTS of meth.
Didnt think about that either. My IDC is in the 90's now, not sure how much more i can push without more injector. We will see.. 44lb injectors and 6lbs off boost and i got'em just about maxed out. Would have thought i could get a little more than that out of the 44lb'ers, but i guess not. Stupid big motor.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:59 AM
Hello Dave

Originally Posted by Whippled 496
So im thinking if i can manage 13.5* with IATs of 228*....i should be able to get 16*-17* out this sucker with 130* IATs. So whats better, more timing and less boost, or more boost and less timing? I would thing more timing and less boost right? It would be less stress on the motor for one thing.
More boost and as much timing as you can run. I spoke with Ben @ EFI101 a couple of months ago about timing thresholds while in boost. The consensus is that on boosted motors with the compression ratios we're running and pump gas that the timing ran in boost is definitely octane limited. We're hitting up nowhere near the timing level that would create peak cylinder pressure, therefore as much boost with as much timing as you can get away without knock will get you the closest to peak cylinder pressure and make the most power. With the gas I have to run, that's only about 14-15*.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:01 AM
Hello Dave

only 76%? What size are your injectors?
I've hit 93% at 5400rpms in 3rd gear (downshifted from 4th at 76% throttle)
Old 10-06-2006, 04:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by dc_justin
More boost and as much timing as you can run. I spoke with Ben @ EFI101 a couple of months ago about timing thresholds while in boost. The consensus is that on boosted motors with the compression ratios we're running and pump gas that the timing ran in boost is definitely octane limited. We're hitting up nowhere near the timing level that would create peak cylinder pressure, therefore as much boost with as much timing as you can get away without knock will get you the closest to peak cylinder pressure and make the most power. With the gas I have to run, that's only about 14-15*.
The other part of the equation is fueling which most neglect becuase of the pump gas we are running. Ive always heard lean is mean and being lean also generates more heat and brings use closer to the razors edge where max power is made and on the other side is component failure. Heat can raise cylinder pressures. Im guessing most people stray from leaning boosted engines because of catastrophic failure but Ive known of tuners in my area one that is very reputable and works with chrysler he likes 12.5:1 whereas most people go with the simple philosophy of very rich 11.5:1, max boost and max timing, the extra fuel providing a layer of cushioning. I think there is some room there with the fueling (not per say on a stock motor as much as forged) but there is still room, this is where an EGT guage could come in handy. I dont have enough experience yet but I think less timing at same boost and less fuel can lead to more power.
Itd be nice to hear from Parish on this.

Quick Reply: Entering PE Faster