PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/tuning-diagnostics-electronics-wiring-161/)
-   -   Entering PE Faster (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/tuning-diagnostics-electronics-wiring-161/entering-pe-faster-375886/)

Whippled 496 10-03-2006 07:47 AM

Entering PE Faster

3 Attachment(s)
I decided to start a new thread because the other one was getting a little side tracked, plus no one wants to read through 6 pages anyway. So here i am.....

Originally Posted by 02sierraz71_5.3
As far as entering PE, I would start noticing on the VE and MAF curve, the general area where you start to go into PE, and bump em to help with getting fuel faster.

Okay, I see that in my logs that i go into PE at the start of various RPM's, G/cyl, and MAP pressures. Looking at my VE table verses some maps i made, it looks like i am .10-.15 low across the board, as far as g/cyl is concerned. For example....1800rpm @ 75kPa i am using an average of 1.0g/cyl. However, in my VE table, it is set at 0.70. How criticle is it that the VE table be spot on? I know you said that i was in good shape and that it looked like i was within +/- 2%, but it looks like i may be a little further off in some places. Is this something i need to change, or am i looking at this incorrectly? Is this what you meant by bumping the table to get into PE quicker? This log and this map are of different runs, but with the same tune.

Whippled 496 10-03-2006 01:49 PM

Another thing, i am looking over all the logs i have using a map i made showing the g/cyl based on RPM vs. Kpa. I notice that its not always a constant upflow in the map. For example it seems that my truck likes more air at 2400rpm @ 75kPa than it does at 2400rpm @ 95 kPa. I see different spots like this in my map and it doesnt make sense or look right adjusting my VE table to reflect this. There would be hills and valleys all over the table.

dewmanshu 10-03-2006 02:10 PM

ahhh, see there in-lies where you are gonna separate a lot of different tuners opinions. LOL

Just curious, are you using any kind of filter on those values? Like cell hits? Minimum of 5 hits before you see the average? Maybe set a TPS filter, like see nothing below 5%TPS?

I can scan a f-ing perfect VE table on the highway, slamming the throttle, smooth throttle, stop on the side of the road then accelerate. But as soon as I hit the back roads and those loads change, my ve table scan gets crazy. I get dips and valleys that make completely no sense, on the surface.

However, in my inexperienced automotive mind, I have made my own sense of it...roots. BAM, we have air. That's my explanation. Instant boost. You are gonna have hiccups, just tune around them, they aren't that severe in the big picture.That's why maggie and others can give you a smooth ve table in their tunes. Use the filters to help get rid of the crap like deceleration and a wild cell here and there. Smooth it. Take baby steps (paste special 1/2% multiply).

Whippled 496 10-03-2006 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
ahhh, see there in-lies where you are gonna separate a lot of different tuners opinions. LOL

Just curious, are you using any kind of filter on those values? Like cell hits? Minimum of 5 hits before you see the average? Maybe set a TPS filter, like see nothing below 5%TPS?

Ahh, okay....no, no filter at all. That makes sense though. I will add some filters and re-map. When you say tune around the hic-ups, do you actually smooth the table out, or populate the cells to accomodate the actual values
even if they are hills and valleys?

dewmanshu 10-03-2006 02:29 PM

Just what makes sense. If it you see a cell that says add 5% fuel but every cell around it is saying take away 2% fuel, then it seems easy. If you are talking -2 to +2 difference, just smooth and all will be okay. Your MAF is really calling the shots, so make sure you are in SD before you go changing the ve.

Whippled 496 10-03-2006 02:41 PM

Just what makes sense. If it you see a cell that says add 5% fuel but every cell around it is saying take away 2% fuel, then it seems easy. If you are talking -2 to +2 difference, just smooth and all will be okay. Your MAF is really calling the shots, so make sure you are in SD before you go changing the ve.

Okie dokie, thanks DEW. Did you get the video?

Whippled 496 10-03-2006 02:53 PM

So without going SD, how to know based on those screen caps i posted, where to bump my VE table in order to get into PE faster? I have the delay zero'd out and the MAP threshold set to 45.0. What else can i do to get PE to enable quicker?

dewmanshu 10-03-2006 03:20 PM

everybody has their own way...wait...45?! WOW! I must have missed that somewhere, that's really low. I'll have to make a project out of your scans again before I throw out my worthless opinions. LOL Chris and justin have made themselves the Whippled 496 repairmen!

Have you considered going SD(temporarily) and cleaning up your ve table? and then cleaning the maf up? It really makes for a smooth ve/maf setup.

Whippled 496 10-03-2006 03:25 PM

I have been told that i am already +/- 2% in my VE table. Not sure how to tell that though. Thats what kind of confused me, if im already +/- 2%, and i adjust my VE table to have PE come in quicker, how will that effect things? Where is this +/- 2% info derived from and what does that tell me?

Whippled 496 10-03-2006 03:27 PM

everybody has their own way...wait...45?! WOW! I must have missed that somewhere, that's really low. I'll have to make a project out of your scans again before I throw out my worthless opinions. LOL Chris and justin have made themselves the Whippled 496 repairmen!

Have you considered going SD(temporarily) and cleaning up your ve table? and then cleaning the maf up? It really makes for a smooth ve/maf setup.

I guess because my truck is heavy and comes under a load faster, the threshold was better off lower. At least thats what i am guessing. That is an adjustment that Chris had me make i think.