Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

E38 shutdown problems ...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2023, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E38 shutdown problems ...

Hey gang, long time no see here. I have an 07 GMC Yukon Denali XL with the 6.2L engine. For some reason, after driving for an extended period of time at somewhat high speeds ( 70 - 80 MPH), and coming to a stop, the truck will die when it reaches idle. The RPMs will start to bounce and surge until it finally goes to 0 and shuts off. I have been scanning with EFI live, and trying to pinpoint the issue. So far, I have replaced:

* Fuel pump
* both O2 sensors 1 (bank 1 and 2)
* MAF sensor
* crankshaft and cam sensors

The strange thing is, it doesn't throw any error codes when this happens. It's as if the PCM has no idea that there is an issue.

Another strange thing. Im seeing that the cam phaser control circuits for bank 1 on the intake side, is the only one that is NOT in a failed state.
* Intake Cam Phase Bank 1 Control Circuit: Passed
* Intake Cam Phase Bank 2 Control Circuit: Failed
* Exhaust Cam Phase Bank 1 Control Circuit: Failed
* Exhaust Cam Phase Bank 2 Control Circuit: Failed

Even with these failed states, there are no SES lights on and no pending codes either! What the heck am I missing?

Oh also, when the truck dies at idle after the long drive, it is almost impossible to get it started again. It ACTS like it's a vapor lock issue. I have to floor the pedal, to kill the injectors, crank the engine once, then release the pedal, and crank it again to get it started. Sometimes I need to repeat this process to get it started again... or just wait several hours.

Thanks all, appreciate your time and wisdom as always...
Old 04-21-2023, 08:25 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Just did an 07 Tahoe a few months back that would intermittently run like garbage. and only got worse. When it did run correctly, everything checked out. Almost seemed like it wasn't getting fuel.

Finally ended up put an ECU in it and all is well except the Catalytic Converters that it killed... Owner still trying to source a reasonable set.

Old 04-22-2023, 07:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was afraid of that... I guess it would be the next cheapest thing to replace lol. Thanks for the feedback, I wish GM didnt complicate these trucks... I miss the LT/LS days when the trucks just worked...
Old 04-22-2023, 03:01 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

Better get a look at fuel pressure... As for the failed circuit diags, that's expected...there is only one phaser since one cam has exhaust and intake lobes for both banks on it.
Old 04-22-2023, 10:55 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by smokeshow
Better get a look at fuel pressure... As for the failed circuit diags, that's expected...there is only one phaser since one cam has exhaust and intake lobes for both banks on it.
Unfortunately, AT least on the one I worked on, the fuel pressure starts to drop as a secondary Issue.

We dropped the tank and replaced the pump with a known good pump to rule it out.

Dropped the catalytic converts to make sure they weren't clogged causing excessive back pressure.

All the sensors worked properly when it was running correctly too.
Old 04-22-2023, 11:47 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Unfortunately, AT least on the one I worked on, the fuel pressure starts to drop as a secondary Issue.

We dropped the tank and replaced the pump with a known good pump to rule it out.

Dropped the catalytic converts to make sure they weren't clogged causing excessive back pressure.

All the sensors worked properly when it was running correctly too.
Well its CA, you're supposed to crush the vehicle and buy an EV at the first sign of a problem.
Old 04-22-2023, 11:51 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Talking

Originally Posted by smokeshow
Well its CA, you're supposed to crush the vehicle and buy an EV at the first sign of a problem.
There you go, As long as we can't see or monitor the pollution, It doesn't exist...