Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Dirty MAF causing truck to not run right?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 09:41 AM
PSM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dirty MAF causing truck to not run right?

What is a good way to clean the MAF sensor? I was going to use those foam tipped q-tip's instead of the cotton ones, but was unsure what cleaner to use. I am having trouble with the truck stumbling at idle and knocking bad at tip in. My AFR is all over the place. I swaped MAF's with a friends truck and the truck worked great, then after the first rain storm its back to crap again.

My thought was the rain is driving through the k&N since its right behind the headlight. I bought a prefilter and was going to clean the maf and try the prefilter.

Also when I get on it hard and it goes into PE I get up to 5 deg of knock. My timing is set at at 16 on all boost conditions. My thought was the dirty MAF wasn't detecting the air comming in quick enough so it delays PE and then it actually does knock.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:46 AM
13 Second Truck Club

DO NOT touch the little wires in the MAF with anything. Ever.

Pick up some MAF sensor cleaner, any local auto-parts store should have it. I know CRC makes some that works well. Just spray the little wires with the cleaner, and let it sit as per the directions on the can. Again, DON'T touch the little wires.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:17 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also the oil on the K&N filter might be causing the problem it gets on the MAF sensor and then that gives very small particles(that would usually not stick in the MAF sensor) something to hold on to.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:46 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you considered going to speed density and getting rid of the MAF? Just looking at your list of mods, I'm guessing that you are maxing out your MAF anyways.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:04 AM
Launching!

spray on contact electrical cleaner will work perfect
Old 06-19-2010, 03:33 AM
On The Tree

lose the open filter. keep a box on it. the MAF is really sensitive to water, It works by how much juice it needs to heat the wires and if the wires get wet they do not heat/cool properly and you get a wrong reading which will throw off everything. Do not touch the wires! if you have to clean it I would try spraying a electrical cleaner on it. If not then you might need to replace it.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:28 AM
PSM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chaselanesmith
Also the oil on the K&N filter might be causing the problem it gets on the MAF sensor and then that gives very small particles(that would usually not stick in the MAF sensor) something to hold on to.
That makes perfect sense

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
Have you considered going to speed density and getting rid of the MAF? Just looking at your list of mods, I'm guessing that you are maxing out your MAF anyways.
I have considered it, but the truck is my daily driver. I'm still learning how to tune with a MAF and don't feel comfortable trying to tune SD. I need to read the forums more a bout it.

Originally Posted by Killtank
lose the open filter. keep a box on it. the MAF is really sensitive to water, It works by how much juice it needs to heat the wires and if the wires get wet they do not heat/cool properly and you get a wrong reading which will throw off everything. Do not touch the wires! if you have to clean it I would try spraying a electrical cleaner on it. If not then you might need to replace it.
I have used a MAF cleaner from napa on it and it does do alot better. I've had to use it a couple times though. I have no real love for the noise the open element filter makes, but I don't know of any enclosed filter that will flow enough.

Also while crusing on the highway yesterday I was just watch LTFT for B1 and B2. B1 was about -4 through -6. B2 was +6 to +9. Which side is bank 1 on these trucks? I'm wondering if my exhaust leaks are screwing it up.

Last edited by PSM; 06-19-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:06 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PSM

I have considered it, but the truck is my daily driver. I'm still learning how to tune with a MAF and don't feel comfortable trying to tune SD. I need to read the forums more a bout it.

It's easier than you think it will be. If I can do it, you can also.

My truck is also my daily driver......when it has a transmission in it......
Old 07-11-2010, 11:34 PM
TECH Regular

just wondering did you ever go sd?
Old 07-12-2010, 09:35 AM
FormerVendor

CRC MAF Sensor Cleaner... can be found at any auto place, like autozone, etc etc...

http://www.crcindustries.com/auto/co..._ss.aspx?ID=90

Quick Reply: Dirty MAF causing truck to not run right?