Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Crank Relearn to fix Crazy TC?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 10:36 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Crank Relearn to fix Crazy TC?

I'm running a Westers tune. Things seem good until I get on the interstate. Set the cruise 70 75 whatever. Truck runs at this speed RPM's seem high for gearing. (my thinking is the TC isn't locked) Start up a gradual grade the RPM's lower and hold solid. Get to the top of the hill RPM's increase as before. Spoke to Westers this morning he recommended a CASE (Crank Angle Sensor Relearn).
Haven’t put many miles on like this. But it’s been this way for awhile. On the way home last night I was able to reproduce the problem at a lower speed too. Running about 45-50 mph note rpm's, give a little more gas rpm's drop, let off rpm's rise.

So my question is am I crazy. No really. Does this sound what is causing the TC to lock and unlock. Looks like a dealership type deal. I don't have a scan tool. If I am to do this what would I need? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:03 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only why a CASE learn will help a TCC problem is if the engine is missfiring. after a serton amount of missfires is picked up by the ECM, it commands the TCC soliniod to release the TCC clutch.
Now if westerner did not turn of any SES lights then during the time the ecm is picing up missfires the SES light should be on.
It sounds like to me they changed the TCC lock/unlock speeds vs. Thorttle position vs. Gear.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:32 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
The only why a CASE learn will help a TCC problem is if the engine is missfiring. after a serton amount of missfires is picked up by the ECM, it commands the TCC soliniod to release the TCC clutch.
Now if westerner did not turn of any SES lights then during the time the ecm is picing up missfires the SES light should be on.
No SES lights. Haven't seen one since I over oiled the air filter and needed to clean the mass air flow sensor.

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
It sounds like to me they changed the TCC lock/unlock speeds vs. Thorttle position vs. Gear.
If he did change this, any idea why he would have? Think Westers has a record (backup) of what he sends out to check this?

He also recommended the AutoEnginuity scan tool with Enhanced GM option to reset this. Hate to spend money getting the crank relearn done if not necessary. That AutoEnginuity stuff looks great. Can you change/ modify program like Westers does? Or do you need something like hptuners?
Old 08-10-2006, 12:06 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't checked out the AutoEnginuity, but to the best of my knowledge it does not allow you to change/ tune an ECM.
As far as why he would do this is beyond me, the trans tables are personal preference more than anything IMO....
If you could get a copy of the tune maybe some-one one here can take a look to verify, if it is HPTuners format I'd be more than happy to help, but I doubt you will be able to get a copy of the tune.
A CASE relearn is a good idea any time the ECM is removed, whether or not it will solve your TCC problem, I doubt it, but who knows? This may be the first step you need to take to get Westerners to fix the tune.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shupe
No SES lights. Haven't seen one since I over oiled the air filter and needed to clean the mass air flow sensor.
Just an FYI, a misfire P0300 code does not set off the SES light right away. My light never came on when I was getting the P0300 code for radom misfire.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:23 PM
TECH Regular

Any idea what this runs at the dealership.