Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Cammed 4.8 Won't rev past 5700 RPM's!!!! Why??

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 10:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SSlow 4.8
oh... i wonder whats causing it to still cut off at that rpm tho. This is jesse tuning all this for you? I think his tunes dont realie on the maf as much as a stock one does... his is more tps reliable. Does it throw any codes with the maf unplugged? and did you specfically tune for the maf to be deleted?

Ok, let me see if I can use good grammar this time around and make this whole story understandable. I started this whole deal off with TWO PCM's. First I got a PCM from jesse, had it dyno'd-shitty power stock. Had stock PCM which I wanted to keep STOCK for warranty...... Ok, onto the next page, installed Z06 cam and springs, went back in for dyno tune, I had Doug use the PCM that I got from Jesse, doug sucked Jesse's tune off and looked at it. Doug was making fun of Jesse's tune saying how bad it was and he was showing me where the timing was all over the place, fuel too rich, etc.... First of all let me stop right here and say that Doug's tune is no better than Jesse's so I will stick up for Jesse and say that Doug shouldn't talk. I was stupid for going to DRM and getting a dyno tune. Ok, let's move on now to the next part in the story. After Doug made his "adjustments" he reflashed the computer I got from Jesse. I couldn't really tell a difference between Jesse's tune and Dougs but Doug said to drive it awhile and see. Well, drove it for a couple of days and didn't like it, then I found out about the revving problem. Ok so part three, brought the truck back into DRM, Doug looked at the tune and said there's nothing wrong with it (of course) Doug said the injectors couldn't flow enough for the cam (whatever) and that there may be something wrong with the PCM I got from Jesse and that I should bring him my stock one. Well, I drove out to DRM at midnight last night to drop my PCM off (stock unmolsted one) and Doug said he'd build me an entirely new tune from stock (incase the problem is in the tune) Ok well here's where things get shady. I'm not an idiot and I think I busted him here....... I wrote up a sheet for Doug as to what I wanted done to the stock PCM. One thing I DID NOT INCLUDE was the fact I wanted the shift light turned off...... When I got the tune from Jesse I wanted the shift light disabled. Ok, next page of the story, I pick PCM up today, install it in the parking lot, go for drive, truck feels the same again and still cuts out. I was like WTF dude!??! I Then disconnected the MAF (because Doug Descreened it) and the truck just screams. From like 2700-on up to 5700 where it cuts off it just rips! Couldn't even spin my tires on gravel in 2nd with dougs tune, disconnect MAF and it's like someone gave me another 20RWHP. Even though the MAF is disconnected right now it threw a light so I know the truck isn't tuned for NO MAF. Oh but back to the part where I said I busted Doug. He said he was going to build me an entirely new tune....... Well, I think all he did was take Jesse's tune and reflash my stock PCM. Because with Doug's supposed "reworked tune", I don't have a shift light (which I should because I never specified for him to turn it off). This whole ******* dishonest performance shop thing just pisses me off. Every time I've had work done by other people they always end up me. Wether it be motor work on my 454 or My S-10 I had. Now this truck, I should have known better to work with Jesse over the phone some more or just buy HPTuners for myself. Obviously I am not going to get anymore support from Doug and he's giving up already. Sorry if this message got out of control but the better part of my emotions got to me.........

I should call Jesse back and tell him my Sob story, I should still have my "contract" with him so he can start all over again. He should do this without any problems wouldn't ya'll think? I would see this situation as no different than a dealer reflashing my PCM and having to send it back to Jesse to get his "performance tune" put back onto it....... Do you think he could tune speed density without having my truck? How hard is it to tune?

Joe

Last edited by Crash Dummy; 10-09-2005 at 09:12 AM.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Z284thgen
thats what i was kinda thinking but from reading again he says it acts like a rev limiter........ my guess would be a tunning issue also if you didnt do springs i would at least get a set of Z06 springs ( if you dont ever plan on going up on cam size) if you do 918's you could always step the cam up later

I understand what you're saying but I can definatly tell you this is not a valve floatage problem, is a fuel CUTOFF problem. Doug just cannot find it. I think I will cut my losses and just go back to Jesse with this, confess my sings on what I did, and hope that he takes me back under his wing and makes my truck all better
Old 10-07-2005, 10:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i agree, it sounds as if someone has the electronic throttle control rev limiter still set too low, that or he moved the incorrect one. there is more than one rev-limit control on that truck. your 4.8L needs to rev past 5700 with a stock cam let alone that new cam. i'd certainly recomend you just go back to jessie. you already have dealt with him once and he should be able to fix it right if you give him the chance.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Jesse is will do what he has to do to make things right. hes been doing the tuning thing for a while now and all he wants is you happy. This doug guy sounds like a bitch, stay away from him.

Thanks for telling that story.. it really clears things up now as to the series of events that happened. Jesse will set you straight i am sure, keep contact with him. And whoever came up with the excuse for the injecters not being large enough for that cam is bs... your not making enough hp to even worry about fuel system upgrades... i can tell you already know that, just wanted to throw my .02 in there too.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:27 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

I think I would get Doug to give me a copy of the .bin file he loaded into your PCM, the one with the rev limit problem. E-mail it to Jesse to look at and see if he can find the issue. Then use this info to get your $$ back for the crappy dyno tune. Jesse most likely kept a copy of your .bin file that he built for you and should be able to reflash your PCM no problem. I hope I don't run into this issue next week. The guy I'm going to has 3 "rave reviews" from guys I know personally who have supercharged vetts and 1 with a supercharged pick-up. This dyno tune guy you went to sounds like an *** who got paid and doesn't care anymore.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
There is a separate table for ETC fuel cut off. Are you sure the tuner changed that table too? Easy to miss if you are used to dealing with cable operated throttles.
Had this same problem with my first tune and the ETC table correction fixed it.
Old 10-08-2005, 01:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SSlow 4.8
Jesse is will do what he has to do to make things right. hes been doing the tuning thing for a while now and all he wants is you happy. This doug guy sounds like a bitch, stay away from him.

Thanks for telling that story.. it really clears things up now as to the series of events that happened. Jesse will set you straight i am sure, keep contact with him. And whoever came up with the excuse for the injecters not being large enough for that cam is bs... your not making enough hp to even worry about fuel system upgrades... i can tell you already know that, just wanted to throw my .02 in there too.

Yeah, I know the injectors aren't it. I wasn't born yesterday but Doug sure seems to think so. I will be in contact with Jesse come Monday and I will be sending him my PCM in. He's been my favorite to deal with so far, the only reason I went with the Dyno tune is because I felt it could be dialed in better being we could monitor AFR, etc. However obviously the dyno tune is only as good as the tuner himself. Which in my case, isn't very good. I remember making the comment to him "aren't you going to add more timing"? He then proceeded to say that all LS1 engines can't go over 29 deg of total timing or they will ping. I thought that this was a buncha BS. I would have expected an aggressive spark table that would be on the verge of pinging at all times. Not some "ballpark tune". Im' going to talk to Jesse next week and hopefully he can iron this one out for me. Do you all think that Jesse will be able to Tune speed density for me rather than by MAF? Is it a lot harder to tune speed density rather than MAF? I am seeing good things without the MAF hooked up
Old 10-08-2005, 05:56 AM
12 Second Truck Club

in hpt its eng torque mgmt ect tps max vs. rpm vs. % max available torque for one, then fuel control fuel cutoff, dfco etc cutoff rpm vs gear, and fuel cutoff rpm vs. startup ect, and fuel cut off rpm vs. gear hell i could email you a great bin file if you have access to hpt to use to load it up with. i can just change the injectors size back to stock and it should give you a great start.
Old 10-08-2005, 06:08 AM
12 Second Truck Club

with the electronic throttle body there are alot of hidden limmiters you have to just look around for and i think i have just about cleared them all on mine. like traction control i don't have it on my truck but when i cleared the table for it for ***** and giggles i now have a more responsive take off. so let me know if you want me to email this bin file to you then you can have anybody that can tune an 04 with hpt load it up for you.
Old 10-08-2005, 06:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not real sure if Jesse can do a speed density tune without having the truck to work with. If you could get some kind of info in a log, it would help a lot. I know it's hard, but keep your cool, and try to work with Jesse. He'll do everything he can to help you. Give ya a little tip, too. Call him after 9pm central time. He'll have more time to talk with you.

Quick Reply: Cammed 4.8 Won't rev past 5700 RPM's!!!! Why??