Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Cammed 4.8 Won't rev past 5700 RPM's!!!! Why??

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 09:25 AM
Former Moderator :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am actually surprized that Doug could not tune your truck He has a high standing in the FI corvette world and he has alot of experiance tuning. Did you ever consider that there may be a problem with the truck? I just hate to see people bad rapping other people because its the easy thing to do. I say diagnois the truck get it running right and then talk about what happened, doing it this way keeps people from becoming fools. Also Hirdlej keep the language on this post clean if I have to moderate it any more I am going to deleat it.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:03 AM
TECH Addict

These guys are telling it true... if you've got a ETC then there are a lot of little things in there to screw with you and drive you nuts. Mine sure has. Also, there are some "tip in timing retard" parameters not available on the current edition of HPT. I found that out from a friend who has TunerCat. The best thing to do is have access to at least two of the tuning software suites to ensure you get it all covered.

I hope the HPT 2.0 gives the missing parameters. It's such a nice program, but isn't perfect.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the ETC rev limiters,there are limits for each gear and nuetrual.When the ETC limit is reached it shuts the throttle.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crash Dummy
I am actually surprized that Doug could not tune your truck He has a high standing in the FI corvette world and he has alot of experiance tuning. Did you ever consider that there may be a problem with the truck? I just hate to see people bad rapping other people because its the easy thing to do. I say diagnois the truck get it running right and then talk about what happened, doing it this way keeps people from becoming fools. Also Hirdlej keep the language on this post clean if I have to moderate it any more I am going to deleat it.

I am surprised Doug couldn't tune it either, the thing that bothered me about him is the fact he didn't invest more than 2 hours total in tuning my PCM's. He seemed real eager to get rid of me and didn't take the time to listen to what I had to say. He was going to do it his way and didn't care to hear what my feedback was. He was kind of bullheaded about the fact that there's no way my truck could be any faster than how he tuned it. And then he was trying to BS me into believing that there's no reason to rev past 5500 RPM's because that's where my peak power is now. I told him I need to go beyond peak power because when I shift I don't want my RPM's to go too far below my strong torque range (which is at 4500 or so) It was just overall an unpleasant experience and made me feel queezy and left me with a knot in my stomach everytime I'd ask him a question. I felt like the dorky kid in school getting snapped at and hollared at by the bully. I think these other guys may be onto something here and that it's an abuse mode thing or max ETC RPM setting. I know I'm not getting anymore work out of Doug because he even said so. He said "That's all I can do and that the problem is with the truck and not my tuning". I call :BS: and know there's tons more power in the truck, and not only that but it should rev beyond 5700 RPM's. A call to Jesse will be placed tomorrow and my PCM sent out by the end of the day. I'll ask that Jesse explain what Doug did wrong and I will tell Doug so that other customers can have their requests filled. Disconnected the MAF all day yesterday was like driving a peppy small-blocked muscle car. I could actually spin the tires in 2nd gear on gravel where with dougs tune and the MAF connected it just bogs and bogs and doesn't pull until 4000 RPM's or so. That's the part that bugs me! I will update you all in a few days when I get my PCM back from Jesse.

Thanks for all your great input.

Joe
Old 10-09-2005, 11:18 PM
Former Moderator :(

Sorry to hear that thats the first time I have ever heard of doug being like that. Oh well anythings possible.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

OK to me it sounds like it might be something with the PCM or electronic... but let me shoot another perspective. Vanilla Gorilla called me one day to do some logging because his truck was doing some funny stuff. One of the major culprits was that it would not rev anything above 5500 RPM or (I cannot remember the exact RPM), but the truck would automaticly just hit the rev limiter at the same exact RPM ALL THE TIME. So we assumed that it had to be something electronic. It would not rev above that amount. His problem then became worse and started running even more crappy. We tried to do a crank relearn, and it would just not work at all. Well it ended up being that his Cats were completly plugged and was not letting it rev high enough and running the truck extremly lean. The least I would do is sheck to see if your cats are plugged.

I am telling you, him and I were completly convinced that it had to do with something electrical and would never imagine mechanical.

Ohh and this responce that I wrote it sounds really freakin crappy to me, so please have pitty if I have run on sentences and dont make that good of sence.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

destructive, I remember when this happened... that is a good point!!!
Old 10-10-2005, 08:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by desTRUCKtive
OK to me it sounds like it might be something with the PCM or electronic... but let me shoot another perspective. Vanilla Gorilla called me one day to do some logging because his truck was doing some funny stuff. One of the major culprits was that it would not rev anything above 5500 RPM or (I cannot remember the exact RPM), but the truck would automaticly just hit the rev limiter at the same exact RPM ALL THE TIME. So we assumed that it had to be something electronic. It would not rev above that amount. His problem then became worse and started running even more crappy. We tried to do a crank relearn, and it would just not work at all. Well it ended up being that his Cats were completly plugged and was not letting it rev high enough and running the truck extremly lean. The least I would do is sheck to see if your cats are plugged.

I am telling you, him and I were completly convinced that it had to do with something electrical and would never imagine mechanical.

Ohh and this responce that I wrote it sounds really freakin crappy to me, so please have pitty if I have run on sentences and dont make that good of sence.
One way to rule that out is the way it shuts off. The drive by wire throttle body engines close the throttle and cut off fuel when it hits the rev limit. It is like you turned off the switch when it hits rev limit. With plugged up cats it wouldn't do that.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mjhoward
One way to rule that out is the way it shuts off. The drive by wire throttle body engines close the throttle and cut off fuel when it hits the rev limit. It is like you turned off the switch when it hits rev limit. With plugged up cats it wouldn't do that.
Trust me when his truck was shutting off, it exactly like if he was hitting the rev limiter... you could tell no difference whatsoever. BTW I just shot another perspective, and I dont think it would be his cats, becuase it is barely just a 2004. But it could never hurt to check the cats if he cannot figure it out.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by hirdlej
...I could actually spin the tires in 2nd gear on gravel where with dougs tune and the MAF connected it just bogs and bogs and doesn't pull until 4000 RPM's or so...
that's wierd, i had a completely opposite reaction. i forgot to plug the MAF back in one time, and it would bog until about 4000rpms. after i plugged it in, it drove perfect.