Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

C6 90 mm FBW Throttle Body Not Fully Opening

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 11:43 AM
Un-Registered User

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

im not doubting you and i understand what your saying but, why would the truck tb open more than the the car tb as the op stated if they are both angled the same way on the intakes?
Old 03-08-2009, 10:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
If you take a look at the intake manifolds on the cars and trucks (profile) that use the 90mm TB, you will notice that the TB does in fact open 100%. GM laid the throttle body back (i dont remember the exact angle) to help with tip in drive ability. If you were to open the blade to what you would think is 100% it would obstruct the air path.
Firstly, the GM trucks don't have a 90mm Throttle Body, it's actually an 87mm. Secondly, the truck throttle body has a huge ridge at the bottom of the TB in front of the blade that is a very apparent WOT flow restriction. Thirdly, The truck (87mm) TB blade rotates in the opposite different direction from the Car 90mm TB. I have looked at both side by side with the TB harness connected and the throttle floored and also with both mounted on the truck intake and the Car 90mm TB is DEFINITELY NOT opening fully. I don't know whether it's 83% or 85 % or 89%, But it is NOT going WOT. As far as I am aware, WOT is when the blade is perfectly parallel to the throat of the TB right? Am I stupid or something? I've looked down enough carbs and throttle bodies over the years to know when one isn't opening fully!
Besides, I've communicated with DR. X and they have confirmed that there is a difference between the two and that they were working on a harness, but the lack of demand caused them to shelve their prototype. Also, if you look at the install instructions on their website, it is clear that there is a difference between the truck 87mm and the car 90mm throttle bodies, since you have to cut two looped wires on their harness for the the car TB, whereas you don't for the Truck TB.
Maybe there just isn't enough people out there who actually checked to see if their 90mm TB is actually physically going to WOT on their trucks. I did, and I know mine doesn't. AND, worse yet, there doesn't seem to be a fix.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:43 AM
no title here

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by trever1t
how much gain do you expect with 3mm?
I hope my wife isn't thinking the same thing....
Old 03-11-2009, 08:45 AM
no title here

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you saying even the stock one doesn't go WOT? If the stock one does why not just take your dremel and smooth the ridge out blocking flow until a new harness comes out and offers the fix
Old 03-11-2009, 10:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by skyhighsami
Are you saying even the stock one doesn't go WOT? If the stock one does why not just take your dremel and smooth the ridge out blocking flow until a new harness comes out and offers the fix
The stock one does go full WOT. I am going to port it but I want to do a couple of baseline runs first, N/A and w/ the Nitrous, so I can see what difference, if any, it makes.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Here's what the two throttle bodies look like side by side. You can see the large ridge on the Truck TB (the one with the gold throttle blade).
Note also that the blades rotate in different directions (NB: one of the photos shows the truck TB upside down).
Attached Thumbnails C6 90 mm FBW Throttle Body Not Fully Opening-img00022-20090216-2040.jpg   C6 90 mm FBW Throttle Body Not Fully Opening-img00023-20090216-2041.jpg  
Old 03-11-2009, 12:44 PM
Un-Registered User

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

not to be a smart *** but, couldnt you just bolt the car throttle body upside down to make the throttle blade open the correct way? i know it doesnt fix the 100%wot but if the bolt pattern is the same and you have clearance, its a thought. what wires on the tb are coorelated to the ones you cut for the dr.x harness?
Old 03-11-2009, 06:33 PM
Teching In

CI Denali, After seeing your pictures I noticed that your throttle body has the truck ridges, what year 6.2 do you have. Here are pictures of my 09 TB without the ridges. It measures 3.440 inches across the narrowest point (old school venturi) in both directions, top to bottom and side to side. What are you inside diameter smallest dimensions?

Old 03-12-2009, 11:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Just Enough
CI Denali, After seeing your pictures I noticed that your throttle body has the truck ridges, what year 6.2 do you have. Here are pictures of my 09 TB without the ridges. It measures 3.440 inches across the narrowest point (old school venturi) in both directions, top to bottom and side to side. What are you inside diameter smallest dimensions?

I have the '08. Thanks for the info and the photos. I haven't measured it as yet but mine does look a lot different. The '09 looks much less restrictive. I'm going to try to order one of those. That may be the answer. For now I'm just going to port mine this weekend and try it.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mcfarlnd
not to be a smart *** but, couldnt you just bolt the car throttle body upside down to make the throttle blade open the correct way? i know it doesnt fix the 100%wot but if the bolt pattern is the same and you have clearance, its a thought. what wires on the tb are coorelated to the ones you cut for the dr.x harness?
That might have helped but it can't physically bolt up, since the throttle motor hits the alternator.
I can't remember exactly, but there are two looped wires on the dr. X harness that you have to cut to run the 90mm. If you look at the install instructions on their website you'll see what I'm talking about. I'm still convinced that there has to be an easy tuning/voltage adjustment fix out there somewhere...

Quick Reply: C6 90 mm FBW Throttle Body Not Fully Opening