Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

BCM Question - turn on heated seats

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question BCM Question - turn on heated seats

I have a quick question, might be dumb but I want to bounce it off people smarter than me.

I installed eBay Katzkin leather and GM heated seat kit in my LT. Now I need the BCM programmed to add the heated seat functionality and the dealer wants $70 for that service.

Question - can I find someone with a tech2 to add the heated seat function to the BCM and not worry about voiding my warranty? Or is it not that easy and I should just give up the $70 and let the dealer do it...

Side note, I'll be getting BB Autocal in a week or so and trying to get my system up to speed before I save back my "stock" programming files.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

And yes, the Katzkin was worth far more than the $550 I paid and my labor of most of a weekend to install... I absolutely love it!

Name:  seats1.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  155.7 KB
Old 09-05-2012, 06:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Nope your only option is to pay a dealer. Most of that charge is because gm charges them 50.00 to add the option to your RPO code list associated with your truck.

Then they plug into TIS and upgrade your bcm with the latest calibrations that includes activating the heated seats.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Tech 2 by itself does nothing related to what you are needing done.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the info, exactly what I needed. I didn't realize heated seats had an RPO code.

I asked them about checking for other updates to engine and tranny modules but they said that's more difficult unless there is a problem to diagnose.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:27 PM
TECH Veteran

BS takes them an extra five minutes they just select the module it downloads the current calibration and then if there is a new calibration present it appears then they download it into the module. lazy *** tech. I usually take the time and update every damm module in the vehicle since I already have it plugged in.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hmmmm...
Again, thanks for this invaluable information for someone who knows nothing about this. I made an appointment for Monday so I might mention that to them when I drop it off. It's a 2011 CCSB 4x4 LT LC9 6L80E, put in service Oct. 3rd 2011. I figure there must be 1 or 2 things to update.

For the modules, I have a TCM in the transmission and for the engine is it an ECM or a PCM? Thanks
Old 09-07-2012, 03:08 PM
TECH Veteran

There is a new transmission cal available that makes them shift much nicer. I just plugged my truck in last week and went through and updated every module in the damm thing. I bought mine in nov of 11 but it was built in october.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:09 PM
TECH Veteran

ECM is how it's listed in TIS but the term is pretty interchanged they both mean the same thing.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I dropped the truck off this morning and asked them to update the TCM and ECM while they had it hooked up. I hope they take the time, they didn't seem to care what I had to say about it. I also asked them not to tear into it if the heated seats didn't come on after programming. I didn't want them taking my dash apart after I added all the extra wiring for the power fold mirrors momentary switch and the dedicated cargo light switch. Never had a new truck to take to the dealer, kinda nervous how they'll treat her!

Quick Reply: BCM Question - turn on heated seats