Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Any hope for a 5.3???

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by viciousknid
YOu also don't buy a truck to go fast....... whats the difference?
Tell that to Spoolin and Flaco . . .What I said applies to any vehicle not necessarily a truck. Your comparison makes no sense.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:01 PM
TECH Regular

If you want to discuss handhelds start another thread. This guy is trying to get help with his truck without major modifications. So he probably doesn't want a stall big gears and cam.

Point is, Dieseltruckin2001 needs to at least get a custom tune, if he don't like that forget a converter and get either some gears, LT Headers, or a small cam.

He's looking for a larger power gain than any hanheld is going to provide. IMO Handhelds are great for diesels and can net some serious increase, but for a gasser it's a waste of money.

He already was a predator and all I'm trying to do is help the guy accomplish what he wants to do (smoke the tires). He can accomplish this with the Predator and he already has the predator to work with. He should at least give it a try before he spends time and money to sell the predator, which he will never get back what he paid for it, then spend additional money getting a custom tune.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:02 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CrashNburn07
Tell that to Spoolin and Flaco . . .What I said applies to any vehicle not necessarily a truck. Your comparison makes no sense.
Made sense to me.
You said 4:10s aren't made so people can do burnouts. At the same time trucks aren't made to go fast.
4:10s give the extra torque needed down low to do a burnout for those who want. And these trucks can haul *** if you wana spend the coin.
After installing my cam I can't do a burnout with my 3:42's. Not that that's bad, but I lost that much down low.
4:10s will fix that and will give the advantage of being able to haul a trailer easier.
So why not 4:10's?
Old 10-15-2008, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

Made sense to me.
You said 4:10s aren't made so people can do burnouts. At the same time trucks aren't made to go fast.
4:10s give the extra torque needed down low to do a burnout for those who want. And these trucks can haul *** if you wana spend the coin.
After installing my cam I can't do a burnout with my 3:42's. Not that that's bad, but I lost that much down low.
4:10s will fix that and will give the advantage of being able to haul a trailer easier.
No I see your point but I was responding to a guy talking about a bone stock pickup you know what I mean . . . a shorter rear end in the general sense will break traction all day long . . . I hope you can make sense of that lol.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:09 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No I see your point but I was responding to a guy talking about a bone stock pickup you know what I mean . . . a shorter rear end in the general sense will break traction all day long . . . I hope you can make sense of that lol.
makes perfect sense. my stock cam would tear up some 20"s with 3:42's
Old 10-15-2008, 10:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Get a custom tune.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Well I would hope a 3.42 rear end would allow the tires to break traction, I dont understand why people who want to burn out want taller gears? Taller gears like a 4.10 is for hooking up and going when you take off not sitting there spinning the tires like a 3.42 rear end. Yeah you can still burn out with a 4.10 rear but that's not the concept.
I think you got it backwards. 4.10s are short gears. 3.42s are taller. 4.10s should offer about 20% more torque to the rear wheels than 3.42s. 4.10s should be able to do a burnout easier than 3.42s
Old 10-16-2008, 11:56 PM
Teching In

Lol, Well, I didn't mean to start a fight or anything on here. Anyway, I took my truck down to the local performance shop and let them fool around with the predator and they couldn't get any better results. So, I made use of the 30 day satisfaction guarantee and had them send it back to predator and I got a FULL refund for it. Since then I have found what has made the most improvement, the temps around here have cooled down and it's running a lot stronger, lol. I don't know, maybe something wrong with the truck to begin with. I'm gonna look into some other options now I think. May give the mail order tunes a try. They seem to be what most everyone is talking up. Thanks for the input from everyone. I wish I had asked about this before I even purchased it to begin with, but, Live and learn right? lol.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:44 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dieseltruckin2001
Lol, Well, I didn't mean to start a fight or anything on here. Anyway, I took my truck down to the local performance shop and let them fool around with the predator and they couldn't get any better results. So, I made use of the 30 day satisfaction guarantee and had them send it back to predator and I got a FULL refund for it. Since then I have found what has made the most improvement, the temps around here have cooled down and it's running a lot stronger, lol. I don't know, maybe something wrong with the truck to begin with. I'm gonna look into some other options now I think. May give the mail order tunes a try. They seem to be what most everyone is talking up. Thanks for the input from everyone. I wish I had asked about this before I even purchased it to begin with, but, Live and learn right? lol.
If you were at a performance shop why couldn't they dyno tune your truck?
Old 10-17-2008, 09:52 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

We have pretty similar setups, although you have an aftermarket converter, it's still hard for me to do a burnout after the gear swap. I get too much grip now with the locker to really lose traction. I have to do a brake stand to lose traction now. But I did regain loads of the low end I lost with the cam swap.

Quick Reply: Any hope for a 5.3???