Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Any hope for a 5.3???

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 10:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not trying to make it a track rig, as I do drag some equipment around with it. I just would like to be faster than the average truck, lol. Thanks for all the help and good info ya'll. I'll do some more research and I'm sure I'll have more questions, lol.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by three83
Something must have been wrong there to loose power. On Monday I was running my factory tune and there was a huge diffence from the tune I have with the predator. Just installing the canned diablo predator performance tune doesn't do much, but you can modify the canned performace tune or get Diablosports to do it for you. It also has a feature to view real time data so you can monitor (LTFT and KR) for instance and make necessary adjustments.
a guy brought his truck in for us to dyno it. he just bought it and wanted to see the difference, we laughed at him and told him he should of had us tune it. it was his stuff that he bought rather than lettin me tune it, i wasnt going to waste my time to tune his truck
Old 10-14-2008, 10:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dieseltruckin2001
I'm not trying to make it a track rig, as I do drag some equipment around with it. I just would like to be faster than the average truck, lol. Thanks for all the help and good info ya'll. I'll do some more research and I'm sure I'll have more questions, lol.
the average truck has a handheld so you wont be faster than the average truck..get a dyno tune or atleast a mailorder from wheatley
Old 10-14-2008, 10:39 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Long Tube Headers and a custom tune.
Bumped me up to 280/290. With 275/55/20"s and 3.42 gears I could leave a trail of smoke from a stop.

Handhelds are for Diesels.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:01 PM
TECH Regular

The Predator does much more than what the Hypertec can do. I research all the handheld programmers back in '05 and the predator was by far better than the others out there. I'm satisfied with the performance from my predator......for now. Once I get cam and headers I will be getting rid of the predator and getting a custom tune.

A good friend of mine has a dyno, if I can talk him into it, I'd like to do a few pulls with the predator then have him tune my truck and do a few more pulls just to see the difference.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:05 PM
TECH Junkie

I owned a predator for a short period of time. I eventually sold it and bought hptuners because the handheld was complete junk.
Good for shift point changes and tire size....about it.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:25 AM
FormerVendor

If you do want your truck to really get off the line in a hurry you will need a stall converter. I have a Yank TT3000 and I am turning out 1.8 60 ft times and that is spinning all four but it does feel pretty tight for everyday normal driving and still has great towing capabilities.

As far as tuning goes I had tried every handheld tuner out there and was not impressed very much and then went with a mailorder tune and that was a big improvement but purchasing HPTuners and a wideband is the best mod I have bought and my truck is much quicker even over a mailorder tune.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:33 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

WHY would you ever buy a handheld. They're way too expensive, considering you can get a custom tune for about 200-250 nowadays. Ditch the programmer and go with a real tune.

seriously.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:36 PM
TECH Regular

I agree that a custom tune is much better than any handheld with canned tunes. The predator programmer is great when compared to others handhelds out there. I'm sure HPTuners allows you to do a bit more fine tuning but with the Predator I was able to modify the canned predator tune which allowed me to adjust to get Long Term Fuel Trims in the optimal range, adjust injector slope, adjust WOT Spark (timing), WOT Fuel, adjust shift pressure, adjust how fast the truck shifts, set shift points by MPH and RPM, disable torque management, rev limit, speed limit, tire size, gear ratio, and set on/off for electric fans. I can also disable rear O2s when I get headers and Y-Pipe. You can backup your current tune and stock tune to your PC. There is DataLogging software you can use to hook a laptop to the predator to the port on the truck and record data. Also, allows you to monitor real time data from the predator while driving (IAT, ECT, Fuel Trims, RPM, Speed, O2 sensors, MAF, MAP). Lastly you can view and clear codes should the check engine light come on.
With that being said, the Predator isn't your average handheld, I don't know of any other handhelds for Gas Motors that are capable of doing all of this. I know there weren't any back in 2005 when I got the predator.

Answer this for me, Did you know the Predator can do all of this and would you still stay the predator is a junk handheld when compared to other handhelds such as Hypertec Programmer?
Old 10-15-2008, 02:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I never understood all these posts about not being able to spin the tires. Even my bone *** stock 4.8 with 3.42s could light up the rears off the line....and now, the LQ9....forget about it. LOL.

Quick Reply: Any hope for a 5.3???