Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Any hope for a 5.3???

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 02:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
I never understood all these posts about not being able to spin the tires. Even my bone *** stock 4.8 with 3.42s could light up the rears off the line....and now, the LQ9....forget about it. LOL.
Depends on the year model of the truck. My 2000 ECSB Silverado 5.3L w/3.42 would spin the tires easily. My 2005 CrewCab Silverado 5.3L w/3.73 and G80 STOCK would only spin about a foot off the line in good air and not at all in bad air. After installing the predator it would spin all through 1st gear and a little into second in good air, bad air it spins about half of what it does in good air. A Z71 may be a little different because there is a little more driveline loss because of the transfer case.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by three83
I agree that a custom tune is much better than any handheld with canned tunes. The predator programmer is great when compared to others handhelds out there. I'm sure HPTuners allows you to do a bit more fine tuning but with the Predator I was able to modify the canned predator tune which allowed me to adjust to get Long Term Fuel Trims in the optimal range, adjust injector slope, adjust WOT Spark (timing), WOT Fuel, adjust shift pressure, adjust how fast the truck shifts, set shift points by MPH and RPM, disable torque management, rev limit, speed limit, tire size, gear ratio, and set on/off for electric fans. I can also disable rear O2s when I get headers and Y-Pipe. You can backup your current tune and stock tune to your PC. There is DataLogging software you can use to hook a laptop to the predator to the port on the truck and record data. Also, allows you to monitor real time data from the predator while driving (IAT, ECT, Fuel Trims, RPM, Speed, O2 sensors, MAF, MAP). Lastly you can view and clear codes should the check engine light come on.
With that being said, the Predator isn't your average handheld, I don't know of any other handhelds for Gas Motors that are capable of doing all of this. I know there weren't any back in 2005 when I got the predator.

Answer this for me, Did you know the Predator can do all of this and would you still stay the predator is a junk handheld when compared to other handhelds such as Hypertec Programmer?
Yes i know what they can do and yes i still say it's junk compared to hptuners.
Better than other handhelds but ahndhelds ing eneral give litle gains.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:33 PM
FormerVendor

I know that they have made some decent upgrades to the Predator since I had one awhile ago but I would still not trade my HPTuners software for anything else. I think it is put together so well and the HPTuners forum for when I was starting out and learning was a huge help.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:34 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TouchOfEvil04
Exactly.

It may be able to do all that, but nothing compares to running all of that through a laptop, with MANY more tuning abilities and is alot easier to get the tune dead on with a laptop. So WHY spend the money on that thing, when you can get a custom tuned pre-done for you with a much better method. Also, most tuners offer free retunes anyways
Old 10-15-2008, 02:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TouchOfEvil04
I know it is junk compared to HPTuners and I would never use a predator on anything other than a stock internal vehicle. Main reason for the question is I don't see it to be near as bad as other handhelds out there. My '05 CrewCab went 15.26 @ 90mph with just a Volant, AeroChamber, and Predator in good air and temps in the upper 50s - low 60s. Then with the addition of the rest of my mods went 14.92 @ 90.69 with traction issues in crappy air and temps in the mid 80s so I'm thinking it will pickup another .1 to .3 in the 1/4 with good air and cooler temps. The Predator seems to have worked well for me and I'm happy with the 1/4 mile times.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:52 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
So WHY spend the money on that thing, when you can get a custom tuned pre-done for you with a much better method. Also, most tuners offer free retunes anyways
At the time, Feb of '05 when I bought my truck brand new, Nelson was one of the only one doing tunes and from what I read, I would have to send him a PCM to get the Tune. I'm picky and didn't want to buy another PCM (used) or have to pull my out and ship it off. I also wanted to be able to remove the tune if I had to bring it in to the dealer ship. What I wanted, at the time, the predator seemed to be the best option. I totally agree that HPTuners Software is much better than any handheld, I just don't think that the predator is as bad as some people make them out to be or should they be compared to another handheld such as a hypertec.

If I were looking to get my truck tuned these days, I'd either have someone do it with HPTuners Software or I'd buy HPTuners Software and do it myself.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Handhelds suck, no matter what anyone says they suck...atleast get a mail order tune
Old 10-15-2008, 03:30 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to discuss handhelds start another thread. This guy is trying to get help with his truck without major modifications. So he probably doesn't want a stall big gears and cam.

Point is, Dieseltruckin2001 needs to at least get a custom tune, if he don't like that forget a converter and get either some gears, LT Headers, or a small cam.

He's looking for a larger power gain than any hanheld is going to provide. IMO Handhelds are great for diesels and can net some serious increase, but for a gasser it's a waste of money.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
I never understood all these posts about not being able to spin the tires. Even my bone *** stock 4.8 with 3.42s could light up the rears off the line....and now, the LQ9....forget about it. LOL.
Well I would hope a 3.42 rear end would allow the tires to break traction, I dont understand why people who want to burn out want taller gears? Taller gears like a 4.10 is for hooking up and going when you take off not sitting there spinning the tires like a 3.42 rear end. Yeah you can still burn out with a 4.10 rear but that's not the concept.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:46 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CrashNburn07
Taller gears like a 4.10 is for hooking up and going when you take off not sitting there spinning the tires like a 3.42 rear end. Yeah you can still burn out with a 4.10 rear but that's not the concept.
YOu also don't buy a truck to go fast....... whats the difference?

Quick Reply: Any hope for a 5.3???