Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Allison Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Allison Tuning

Finally got some feedback from Ross/Paul over at the EFILive forum about getting started with my Allison tuning. It was odd to me that they couldnt point me to the right table, but they did do the next best thing and tell me how to find the corrct table to adjust myself. I have been fumbling with trying to get some TM out of my Allison trany for a while now with no luck. It wasnt working using the changes that i had made so far, so i sent Ross/Paul an Email asking what to do, here was thier reply....

Hi Jimmie,

This is Paul here

I am not an Allison expert so I forwarded your original message on to Ross who knows far more about the Allison calibrations than I do (he designed them). Since I had not heard back yet, I just spoke with him on the phone. He said...

The trans settings in your PCM will be ignored and the Allison controller will control the Allison trans.

Torque management is controlled by the engine calibrations in the PCM, not in the Allison controller.

The best way to figure out which table(s) you need to alter to get rid of the spark retard on tran shifts, is to log all the spark DMA PIDs. Each spark DMA PID is named like this: {GM.EST_xxxx_DMA} where xxx is different for each PID.
If you right click each of those PIDs in the Scan Tool tab page [PIDs (F8)], and select More info... it will tell you which tables control the value of that PID.

So in your log file you need to find the PID's whose value changes with respect to the spark reduction during a shift. Then find the table that controls that PID and change that table.

Regards
Paul
So basically i will do some extensive logging and see which PIDs are effected during the shift points then associate those PIDs to their respective table. Hopefully its that easy, i will let you know. I realize there are only about 6 people in the world with an 8.1L/Allison like me who are doing any modding and tuning, but hopefully there will be more soon, and maybe all this crap im going through will help out a few people...
Old 11-14-2006, 11:24 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

haha...

ignore the pcm trans settings, BUT, the pcm tq management works, so pay attention to the allison trans settings, BUT ignore the allison tq mngmt settings. LOL man, why you punish yurself? LOL good luck logging, and may the spark retard force NOT be with you!
Old 11-14-2006, 11:39 AM
TECH Addict

Everyones a comedian... Didnt i see you at the Improv a few months ago?

So this leads me to another question (doesnt it always?)

Looking through the plethera of {EST.XXX.DMA} PIDs i notice that i actually have the following that represent "Spark timing" .....and these are thier definitions as described by the EFILive glossary:

SPARKADV (the one Im using right now) ->Ignition timing spark advance for the #1 cylinder not including mechanical advance.

EST.BASE.DMA ->Ignition timing spark advance direct from the main spark map in use.
i.e High Octane, Low Octane, Closed Throttle in gear.

EST.RUN.DMA -> This is the final spark timing value after all modules have contributed.

EST.EQR.DMA ->Equivalence ratio contribution to the final ignition timing spark advance value.

This value is controlled by the following Tuning Tool calibration:
{B5908} Fuel Mixture Spark Correction

So which of these would be best to log my total spark advance when tuning?
Old 11-14-2006, 02:05 PM
Hello Dave

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Whippled 496
Everyones a comedian... Didnt i see you at the Improv a few months ago?

So this leads me to another question (doesnt it always?)

Looking through the plethera of {EST.XXX.DMA} PIDs i notice that i actually have the following that represent "Spark timing" .....and these are thier definitions as described by the EFILive glossary:

SPARKADV (the one Im using right now) ->Ignition timing spark advance for the #1 cylinder not including mechanical advance.

EST.BASE.DMA ->Ignition timing spark advance direct from the main spark map in use.
i.e High Octane, Low Octane, Closed Throttle in gear.

EST.RUN.DMA -> This is the final spark timing value after all modules have contributed.

EST.EQR.DMA ->Equivalence ratio contribution to the final ignition timing spark advance value.

This value is controlled by the following Tuning Tool calibration:
{B5908} Fuel Mixture Spark Correction

So which of these would be best to log my total spark advance when tuning?
SPARKADV shows the actual spark advance being used.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Spark retarding TM=ECM
shift times, mph, firmnetss etc...=allison TCM

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...82#post3453182
not trying to be an *******

Last edited by 02sierraz71_5.3; 11-14-2006 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 02sierraz71_5.3
Spark retarding TM=ECM
shift times, mph, firmnetss etc...=allison TCM

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...82#post3453182
not trying to be an *******

Old 11-14-2006, 06:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know with the stock cam you have you haven't seen it. But I've logged timing being pulled above 5000rpm. On the dyno it made good power to 5700rpm. Driving it you can feel power drop at 5300rpm. I need to get EFILive Allison program.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TieRod
I know with the stock cam you have you haven't seen it. But I've logged timing being pulled above 5000rpm. On the dyno it made good power to 5700rpm. Driving it you can feel power drop at 5300rpm. I need to get EFILive Allison program.

Fine, fine, Tierod...i'll tell you what. If you pick me up a set of those Rylar heads and a matching intake and CAM, I will let you use two of my EFILive licenses to do all the programming you want.

Deal?
Old 11-14-2006, 11:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good lord! I don't want to go through that again. It took me 4 months to get my parts. Ray is a nice guy but he full of it to.LOL I think I'm fine for now.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TieRod
I wonder if the timing being pulled above 5k would be from drivetrain abuse being enabled under engine properties. I know I had a few issues with it before I just disabled it all.
i know this is within hptuners, but it should be a common concept

Quick Reply: Allison Tuning