Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

AFR readings way off between different WB

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 10:05 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It feels a lot weaker off idle but I assumed that was due to the true dual LT's.
I have not touched the fueling or timing tables since the dyno, I dont even know how.
The WB was calibrated and reads correct at idle and cruise. I understand that the numbers will go ape **** when I stomp it and when I let off. It's the steady 9.x while I'm at 100% throttle thats throwing me.
The WB at the dyno was giving readings like 11.5, the tuner would pull fuel and then it would read 11.2. So his WB may have had issues. He thought my boost-a-pump may have been acting up because the wire laid on the LT for a minute and melted the outer sheath. I havent investigated that yet but my fuel pressure doesnt drop so, if its messing up, it is staying ON all the time. It was like this at the dyno so it shouldnt even be an issue. I guess I will have to go back over and let him street tune it or have him throw in his WB (in another bung) and compare numbers on tht same run. I dunno. I was just wondering if anyone had heard of this before. Maybe he had too much load on the truck while on the dyno and on the street its running rich.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:20 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SlowHoe
It feels a lot weaker off idle but I assumed that was due to the true dual LT's.
I have not touched the fueling or timing tables since the dyno, I dont even know how.
The WB was calibrated and reads correct at idle and cruise. I understand that the numbers will go ape **** when I stomp it and when I let off. It's the steady 9.x while I'm at 100% throttle thats throwing me.
The WB at the dyno was giving readings like 11.5, the tuner would pull fuel and then it would read 11.2. So his WB may have had issues. He thought my boost-a-pump may have been acting up because the wire laid on the LT for a minute and melted the outer sheath. I havent investigated that yet but my fuel pressure doesnt drop so, if its messing up, it is staying ON all the time. It was like this at the dyno so it shouldnt even be an issue. I guess I will have to go back over and let him street tune it or have him throw in his WB (in another bung) and compare numbers on tht same run. I dunno. I was just wondering if anyone had heard of this before. Maybe he had too much load on the truck while on the dyno and on the street its running rich.
Well,i am not bashing innovative, they appear to know their **** and make what appears to hightech item, lots of bells and whistles, buuuuut I never read any threads of anybody having issues with their Dynojet WB. (I have, replace my o2 already, hehehe) I know of a couple people who complained about weird readings and what not. It didn't always turn out to be bad product, just wrong wiring or something, but point it is, I've enough flak on them.

With that said, you said
The WB at the dyno was giving readings like 11.5, the tuner would pull fuel and then it would read 11.2. So his WB may have had issues.
does mean you and the tuner realized pulling fuel was supposed to make the number go up and it went down instead? LOL Yeh that's a problem. His equipment? What did your duty cycle look like? Long story short, that WB IMO is the blood pressure monitor, if it ain't working right or you even have a small inclination it is off, don't push it until you are 100% sure it is right. ( goto a different dyno?)
Old 08-09-2006, 10:31 PM

My IDC was exactly 80%. I asked.
No matter which reading is correct, I'm safe. I just wonder if the dyno had too much load on it or his WB was acting up, I may have left a bunch of power on the table. 2 points in AFR has got to be worth a few ponies and pounds of TQ.
I dont want to wait until my cam swap (months away) before I know. I guess I'll be making a trip over to the dyno. Hes the only tuner around here that I trust and he has the newest gear.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:33 PM

cool. lots of ponies on the table if really are at 9.5!!!!
Old 08-09-2006, 10:36 PM

I'll update this therad with what I find out. May be awhile though.

BTW, your new truck vid was great
Old 08-09-2006, 10:51 PM

shweet, appreciate any updates on the issue. And thanx on the vid!
Old 08-10-2006, 08:39 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your innovate reads anything different from 14-15 at idle and part throttle either the truck is in open loop or the wideband is wrong.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:50 PM

It reads 14-15 at idle and part throttle from a red light. When I put the truck into low bost, about 2psi, I'm still seeing 14.x AFR. Is that right? At what boost level should I see it dropping? My boost-a-pump doesnt kick on until 3 psi but I dont know if that has anything to do with it.

Also, at say, 25% throttle when trying to speed up but not downshift, the AFR gets into the 8's. The truck bogs down as well. So it sure feels rich. I'm thinking a street tune may be in order for the part throttle stuff and maybe another run on the dyno to see what I get at WOT.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SlowHoe
It reads 14-15 at idle and part throttle from a red light. When I put the truck into low bost, about 2psi, I'm still seeing 14.x AFR. Is that right? At what boost level should I see it dropping? My boost-a-pump doesnt kick on until 3 psi but I dont know if that has anything to do with it.

Also, at say, 25% throttle when trying to speed up but not downshift, the AFR gets into the 8's. The truck bogs down as well. So it sure feels rich. I'm thinking a street tune may be in order for the part throttle stuff and maybe another run on the dyno to see what I get at WOT.
IMO, You should not be in closed loop 14 AFR at boost. Should actually drop into open loop right at or before 0 manifold pressure. I'm in PE right about 0 manifold pressure and 12.5:1 AFR. Keeps KR down when the boost comes on.

It does sound like you are rich if bogging and seeing 8's.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how old is the sensor on the dyno? was the weather the same each day?

Quick Reply: AFR readings way off between different WB