Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

4l80 Swap Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 03:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l80 Swap Help

[PCM] P0717 - Input Speed Sensor Circuit Low Input (Pending) (Old) (Current) (Immature)
[Unknown] B2615 - Unknown (History) (Current) (Immature)
[Unknown] U1000 - Class 2 Communication Malfunction (History) (Immature)
[HVAC] B0263 - Unknown (History) (Immature)

ECTune, i was using your file you sent me and was still have problems with transmission hot light and check engine lights. I did a crank re-learn, didn't help. I was told to take a 2004 silverado stock bin from a 6.0 4l80 and change all the engine tables that were different to my 5.3 including the DTC's. So i did that and pretty much similar codes are still there but now a new one which is the input speed sensor, that was never there before. Everything is plugged in, the SS wires i got from Speed Engineering were put in the correct locations, Green 22 and 23 pins. Do i need to activate those or something. I am still in need of help, this is week 2 since the swap was finished. The thing is that the truck is running fantastic. THe thing that was really concerning me was the transmission hot, cause that light isn't supposed to come on until like 280, so i logged tranny fluid temp and it never gets over 195. And when it would go into hot mode, it would shift really wierd, so for temporary fixes, i took all hot table settings and set them to the normal tables, just so when it did go into hot it would just act normal. Anyone, ineed help.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:20 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The above are junk, don't sweat those.

The low input is usually a bad connection. Too much resistance. Go over your VSS connections with a fine tooth comb.

I am confused by your last couple sentences...it is going into "hot" mode? But the temps are actually fine, never going over 195? I've never screwed with it, but do we have an enable setting for HOT mode besides the PE TPS setting? What's that temp at on your fuel tab?
Old 04-02-2007, 03:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
The above are junk, don't sweat those.

The low input is usually a bad connection. Too much resistance. Go over your VSS connections with a fine tooth comb.

I am confused by your last couple sentences...it is going into "hot" mode? But the temps are actually fine, never going over 195? I've never screwed with it, but do we have an enable setting for HOT mode besides the PE TPS setting? What's that temp at on your fuel tab?
Sorry, i'm trying to be as clear as possible. I'll drive on the freeway and after a few miles it will say transmission Hot in my gauge cluster. I logged my actualy tranny temp fluid, and it never gets over 195. Now in my transmission Diag tab the tranny overtemp is set at 285, so the computer thinks it's getting to 285 but it's not. Understand? Sorry if this isn't clear. So i set my hot tables to the same as my normal tables just to temporarily fix the problem. Now my transmissin hot light still comes on, but now nothing changes cause it's in NORMAL MODE. TCC, Part Throttle Shift, WOT Shift, all of those has a hot mode, and when the tranny gets too hot and it goes into that mode, shift points change, TCC changes. So i copied my normal tables and pasted them into the hot table. now granted once this light and codes are fixed i would set them back because that would be dangerous if it ever does overheat i wouldn't know it.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:36 PM
TECH Regular

So, i've hear that a couple times, don't sweat those codes. Well then technicaly my only problem is the VSS, but i went over that yesterday and everything looks good. So will these loss of communication codes just go away by ignoring them?
Old 04-02-2007, 08:17 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

THe reason why the code P0717 is now on, and wasn't on with your first Bin (from EC,) is because in your first bin file had that code was turned off.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:53 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
THe reason why the code P0717 is now on, and wasn't on with your first Bin (from EC,) is because in your first bin file had that code was turned off.
Okay, i still can't figure anything out. The only thing i'm concerned with is the transmission hot, which is still coming on, and the loss of comm codes
Old 04-02-2007, 08:58 PM

You can't do anything for the comunication codes. as far as I know.

There is something wrong with you input speed sensor. Maybe that is the reason the trans is going into hot/protect mode......
Old 04-02-2007, 09:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
You can't do anything for the comunication codes. as far as I know.

There is something wrong with you input speed sensor. Maybe that is the reason the trans is going into hot/protect mode......
There must be. But i've taken it off and plugged it back in. I guess i'll try it again. Maybe i'll e-mail speed eng. and see maybe if i can get another one, cause if i had the two backwards, i heard the truck wont even run, or the speedo like wont work or something
Old 04-02-2007, 09:08 PM
TECH Regular

so the communication codes, there's nothing i can do about that. I guess it's okay if it doesn't keep popping a code, but i think that the check engine and the transmission hot are the same thing, so if i eliminate that then the check engine should come off.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by gmforlife
so the communication codes, there's nothing i can do about that. I guess it's okay if it doesn't keep popping a code, but i think that the check engine and the transmission hot are the same thing, so if i eliminate that then the check engine should come off.
I'm not sure, but When I got my trans hot, around 300 deg the "Message Center" told me "SHUT ME OFF YOU MORON!"

Quick Reply: 4l80 Swap Help