Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

2005 rcsb 4.3 5 speed to 6.0 5 speed tuning questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 08:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 rcsb 4.3 5 speed to 6.0 5 speed tuning questions

Hey guys, I'm in the middle of a 4.3 to 6.0 swap in my 05 regular cab short bed. I'm keeping the 5 speed for however long it lasts. I've got a 6.0 rebuild with tsp cnced 243 heads and a tsp stage 4 truck cam sitting in the floor. I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about tuning this. The v6 is dbc throttle body and returnless fuel system. The 6.0 is going to have a nnbs intake with a 92mm throttle body and also returnless with 8.1 injectors. My questions are what tune should I start with to begin modifying for my particular swap. Should I start with a 05 6.0 auto tune from the repository? I don't think this will work because the 05 6.0 tune will be dbw not dbc. Any suggestions? Also, I just bought hp tuners pro and I am very new at the tuning part of this. I've been reading for a couple of weeks after work when I can. I've done some swaps before but just sent the pcm - to lt1swap if I remember correctly. I figured since I'm going to be doing more of these its probably time to learn to do it myself. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:23 PM
Teching In

just thought about this - but should i just start with my v6 pcm and tune and find a 6.0 tune and swap all info over in the engine section? is it that easy?
Old 03-25-2018, 09:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

If you can, try to find a 6.0 file from a DBC Express van from like 03-05ish. Seems that would be the best route to take being that your P59 computer is already a DBC unit.

Try doing a segment swap with only the engine parameters to make it a 6.0 from the start. It's not going to run well with such a large camshaft but I believe it should start and run with a little pedal. Then it's a long tuning process from there. Starting with such a modded setup won't be a cake walk being new to tuning. A wideband o2 sensor will be a must here.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:52 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply. I've looked at the express van tunes and the only one I can find that has the same OS as my v6 pcm is from a 05 express van that has had some mods and tuning done already. When I go through the engine>airflow>electronic throttle table it has values where as my v6 tune does not. Does this mean that it is using a dbw throttle and accelerator pedal? I've looked through some other tunes from 03-06 express 6.0 and they seem to be the same. I'm not sure about this?
Old 03-25-2018, 10:55 PM
Teching In

Also which wideband would you recommend? I've been looking around just hadn't decided which would be the best and most friendly for a newbie.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hmm, I figure there would have been a stock file floating in the repository somewhere.

I looked at that modded file and it's a DBC vehicle. You can click system > system options and look at the ETC table on the left. A zero means DBC and a "1" means DBW. Not need to worry if it has numbers in the electronic throttle area because a DBC doesn't use them anyway.

I saw some 4.8 files in there though. It's a few extra steps but you could do the swap with a 4.8 file to make it a V8 file. Then open a stock 2003-2004 6.0 file in the compare feature with your newly updated 4.8 file. Click compare again > view comparison log, then collapse all the boxes in the new window. Right click the engine icon and click copy over all differences. So it would copy over the 6.0 info into the 4.8 file.

Now I don't know if this the easiest or fastest way to go about doing it but it may be worth a try. You always save your stock file so you can go back to it if it didn't work.
The following users liked this post:
05RCSB (03-25-2018)
Old 03-25-2018, 11:35 PM
Teching In

Thanks again. I see the 1 in the table like you said. I thought that this was what I would end up doing but I didn't know it would be as easy to move everything over that is different. I figured I would be changing one box at a time. lol. Doing it this was will cost me a few license credits - wont it? I would be out 3 credits this way? Again thanks for the reply. About the wideband tho? Any thoughts on which is better? or they pretty much all do the same? Any of them more accurate or easy to use/read?
Old 03-26-2018, 12:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Only 2 credits still, just to license the computer you have.

Using the segment swap feature is free and downloading stock tunes is free as well. You just never change anything on those other tune files so it doesn't cost you credits. Copying over data from other files is always free.

Widebands come down to what you want to spend and like the look of. Literally just about every wideband that is within the $160-300 range uses the exact same 4.9LSU sensor, some might even still use the 4.2LSU sensor. It's just the gauge display and appearance that is different and what the wideband has for features. Some can interface with the CAN-BUS system through the OBD-2 port on newer vehicles and others can't.

I myself have bought like 4 AEM widebands over the years and never had a single problem with them working and working with HP Tuners.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:30 PM
Teching In

I appreciate you taking the time to answer me. I'm going to get a wideband coming. I don't need the wideband to tune the idle and ve do I? I just need it for anything that will be WOT, correct? Thanks again.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

You use the wideband to tune everything. Idle, part throttle, wide open throttle.

Wideband tuning is in open loop with zero fuel trim control so the wideband error that is created it what is making all the adjustments. You log the error and paste it into your VE or MAF tables to correct the airflow model. Once done you can re-enable fuel trims and fine tune everything from there if it requires it.

Quick Reply: 2005 rcsb 4.3 5 speed to 6.0 5 speed tuning questions