Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

2004 Suburban Terminator X Max Swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2023, 09:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 2004 Suburban Terminator X Max Swap

I'm tired of oil starving engines in my Trailblazer SS so I've decided I'm selling it as a roller and putting my gen 4 408 stroker and 4L80E into a 2004 Suburban I have sitting around with a tired gen 3 5.3 and slipping 4L60E. From what I understand the ecu in the suburban will not run the gen 4 engine so there's no point in trying to integrate it with the Terminator to maintain factory gauges right? No gauges doesn't concern me, I can run aftermarket for that or use a Holley dash. My main concern is maintaining power windows, locks, factory lights and AC. Will the factory bcm work without the factory ecm in the truck? Could I run something like a Leash Electronics Pro Street relay board wired through the factory switches for everything? I have no issue gutting all the wiring in the truck and starting from scratch I'm just not sure how sophisticated the can bus was in the gmt800 and if the switches are actual switches or just something to communicate to the bcm to control the various components. TIA for anyone that has any input on this, it is much appreciated!
Old 12-20-2023, 10:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

If the engine is getting swapped, you could open it up and swap a 24X reluctor wheel on the cranks and a few other minor mods (relocate knock sensors and use the cam sprocket/front cam sensor from the LS2) to keep everything working happy on the electronics side. Shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

Unless you want to run the Terminator, for like parameters changes on the fly. I've never run those, but they do sound really cool to play around with.

Now, why do you say you had oil starving issues? Was that from something vehicle-specific? I don't know anything about the TBSS...Or engine (shallow oil pan vs truck oil pan, perhaps?) 🤔
Old 12-20-2023, 11:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly I kind of just want to play around with the Terminator a bit. I tuned my 2007 TBSS, 2006 Chevy C5500, and 2018 Indian Springfield all with HP Tuners so I have a pretty good grasp on that software. I do have a few friends that want help tuning their projects on various Holley setups but I'm not comfortable tuning other peoples stuff on a system I haven't used.

Long story short on the disaster that is the TBSS oil pan and sump. It is a front sump design because the front differential for the AWD TBSS and 4WD Trailblazer and Envoy. PCM of NC makes a Sump relocation and baffle kit which I have had installed for the last 2 engine failures.

Rebuilt the engine again with a Moroso trap door oil pan and sump, link bar lifters, shaft mount rocker arms, hardened thick wall pushrods, and basically just way overbuilt every part of the engine that has failed on me in the past. Went to put the engine in the TBSS and the pan is about 6 inches from clearing the crossmember and steering rack, Looks like it will drop right into the Suburban no problem though and beating all the local kids in their straight piped Mustangs and Camaros will be more fun in a full size SUV than the comparatively little TBSS.

TLDR: GM engineers were either drunk or severely hungover and half asleep when they sat down to design the absolute failure that is the oil system on the Trailblazer SS and I'm tired of dealing with it.
The following users liked this post:
strutaeng (12-21-2023)