Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Hello all, new post here

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello all, new post here

So I hope I came the right place and don't get flamed for the slue of questions im about to ask.

so I'm wanting to do an LS style swap in my dakota. And I've narrowed it down to a gen 3 or gen 4 vortec engine. I thought I had it pinpointed to a gen 3 until I seen the added specs of the gen 4 engine and available 6l90e trans.

I have the how to do it part down except for the decision between which gen. If I use a gen3, I found a guy that details what to cut to make your own standalone harness from a factory harness. My question is, has anyone found something similar to that for a gen 4 engine? Another issue, is DBW vs DBC. How adaptive is a dbw setup? I know the fuel pedal needs to match the vehicle it came out of.

What I've kind of narrowed it down to is these engines based on factory specs: Lm7(less desirable) l33(hard to find) lq4(very suitable) lq9(harder to find with a price hike) ly6 (most desirable but falls back on the gen 4 potential pitfalls.

Any one able to give some info on what I'm looking for? A 3/4 trans will be used unless I find that l33 unicorn and for a good price. Nv4500 is a though. But thinking more along the lines of 4l80e, but that 6l90e looks even bettee. Though I need to go look at the size difference if any. 4l80e is a great fit. Nv4500 takes a 3" body lift which in going to do anyways.

thanks for any insight and help.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

If you want the least amount of hassle with the easiest install and wiring it would be a drive by cable GEN 3 engine with a P01 computer/harness.

GEN 4 stuff normally costs way more and can be more trouble some for people that don't know how to tune very well. GEN 4 won't be able to use a cable throttle body, it has to stay drive by wire to work.

It's easy enough to mod a LM7 to make 40-50+ horsepower more than it came with with just a cam swap and a good tune. 4L80e are great and even a stock unit will more than handle whatever you want to toss at it.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FFDP
If you want the least amount of hassle with the easiest install and wiring it would be a drive by cable GEN 3 engine with a P01 computer/harness.

GEN 4 stuff normally costs way more and can be more trouble some for people that don't know how to tune very well. GEN 4 won't be able to use a cable throttle body, it has to stay drive by wire to work.

It's easy enough to mod a LM7 to make 40-50+ horsepower more than it came with with just a cam swap and a good tune. 4L80e are great and even a stock unit will more than handle whatever you want to toss at it.
thanks for the info. Looks like my suspicion was right. I guess ill be looking for an L33, lq4 or maybe the elusive lq9. The lm7 is a great engine and all, as are all v8 Vortecs. But might as well start with a the best platform I can get to start. But if a deal comes along I can refuse on an lm7, I wouldn't complain. I just wouldn't be using the 4l60e.