Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

2000 Gmc 5.3 crank wont start

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 01:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

Try doing a security relearn with the key.

To perform a relearn on a Passkey II system, make sure there is a fully charged battery in the vehicle. The battery will be used for 30 minutes without the alternator available for charging. Connect a battery charger to the battery to ensure power is available while programming. Both the BCM and PCM must be working and communicating with each other.
  1. Insert ignition key and turn to the “ON” position. Do not attempt to start the engine. Leave the key in the “ON” position for approximately 11 minutes. The security light will be steady on or flashing for the 11-minute period. Do not proceed to Step 2 until the security light turns off or stops
  2. Turn the ignition switch to the “OFF” position for 30 sec
  3. Turn the ignition switch to the “ON” position as in Step 1 for 11
  4. Turn the ignition switch to the “OFF” position for 30 sec
  5. Turn the ignition switch to the “ON” position as in Step 1 for 11 minutes for a third
  6. Turn the ignition switch to the “OFF” position for 30 seconds for a third
  7. Turn the ignition switch to the “ON” position for 30 sec
  8. Turn the ignition switch to the “OFF”
  9. Attempt to start the
If the engine starts and runs, the relearn is complete.
Old 09-29-2017, 02:56 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If you have a scan tool set it up to where you can monitor your vehicle while cranking to see if the RPMs show I think that is a method to see if the crank sensor is Working

when it happened to me I had similar issues no spark

but yeah try resetting the Security it could be that ... just trying to give ideas I know how it feels to have a truck down
Old 09-29-2017, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FFDP
Try doing a security relearn with the key.
Ok, I did step one. I did not go any further. The security light never came on. The only time it comes on is when I open the door. However, if you think it will help even when the light is not coming on I will do the whole 30-minute thing. One other thing. I don't think its connected but someone may know better. Before I took the starter out I disconnected the battery. it was disconnected for about a week.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by trxmxzx
If you have a scan tool set it up to where you can monitor your vehicle while cranking to see if the RPMs show I think that is a method to see if the crank sensor is Working

when it happened to me I had similar issues no spark

but yeah try resetting the Security it could be that ... just trying to give ideas I know how it feels to have a truck down
I have a decent scan tool but I cant get it to read rpm. my tach doesn't move at all while cranking thought. I pulled the starter again to look at crank sensor wires. they seem fine though do the crank sensors just go?
Old 10-03-2017, 05:31 PM
Teching In

Good news bad news. Good news it is now running. bad new I don't know why. So I had finally decided to take it to a shop. I found a shop with a high dollar scanner who told me to bring it by. I had the back tires on jack stand and the front on ramps. I jack up the back removed the stands and let her down. I had m daughters boyfriend pull his truck up to it. The plan was to let him pull it off the ramps while my daughter was in the truck to hit the breaks once off ramps. When she turned the key to put it in neutral she bumped the starter and fired right up. I'm glad it running but I'm scared it's gonna leave me stranded.