THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Are you your own wrench?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 11:30 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Are you your own wrench?

Just curious how many guys here do their own work, as well as other wrenching either for a living or on the side. I was pretty much under the impression that the majority of the members here were their own mechanics, but now I'm not sure after some of the comments that I've read. As for myself, I've done every repair and mod on my truck (and every vehicle I've owned since I was 15 when I bought my first Camaro for $300) myself, except for the items which were covered under warranty (which I diagnosed first before bringing it in). Prior to my current job, I was a Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician, until my back, right shoulder and elbow went kaput. Now I work for a Lexus dealer where I diagnose the majority of the problem cars, as well as do roadside assistance, fill in for the shop foreman when he's out, and occassionally fill in for service writers when we're short-handed. I also do some select side jobs on the weekends to help pay the bills and sometimes barter and trade (ie: I fix your car, you make invitations for my daughter's first birthday party...my latest barter).

So who else does their own stuff?
Old 07-17-2007, 11:33 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know better than to do my own work......Honestly, I wish I had the place and a little more mechanical knowledge. I admire those that can do it themselves. Damn, about have the cost of modding is labor!
Old 07-17-2007, 12:24 PM
Import Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

with the help of my buddy i did my hanger kit simply cause he has a lift... other than that springs and shackles i did, motor swap i had Quiks help and guidance and i helped him with the wrenchin and anything else that was done i did by myself

its hard to believe some of these guys will pay what they pay to have work done... thats more mod money lol

example my buddy was gonna pay someone like $250 to install four painted door handles and the painted tailgate handle... i said buy me some JBCs from wendys and pay attention to what i do and youll be albe to do it on your next truck yourself
Old 07-17-2007, 12:31 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've done everything on my truck except install the alarm (only because I had it done 6 years ago before I knew anything) and build the engine. 99% of what I know how to do I have learned in the past two years here on pt.net
Old 07-17-2007, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I do all of my work. I am a 20 yr old ASE certified Master tech and do everything myself, even my exhaust I fabricated.

Its SOOOO much cheaper that way.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:33 PM
Import Moderator

Originally Posted by thunder550
99% of what I know how to do I have learned in the past two years here on pt.net
AMEN!!!! thank you PT
i would have NNNNEEEEEEVVVVEEEERRRR pulled a motor on a 2002 and thought to put one in that came outta a camaro, i never even knew it could be done so easily
Old 07-17-2007, 12:38 PM
TECH Junkie

I've done everything that I've had the tools and knowledge to do.

The only things I've paid to have done are the gears(lack of tools and experience) and the exhaust(lack of tools).

My day job is turning wrenches on MRI's....which most of the time I'm sitting in front of a computer pushing buttons
Old 07-17-2007, 01:03 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

ive done everything except for paint, body work, transmission rebuilds(install them myself) and the rear end(helped as much as possible). everything else ive done myself, or with the help of friends but my hands are always getting dirty. part of the modding experience is gettin in there and busting nuckles IMO. its the only way to learn too.

theres not much "know how" with these new motors. GM has made it TOO simple for us
Old 07-17-2007, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by joshua022
I do all of my work. I am a 20 yr old ASE certified Master tech and do everything myself, even my exhaust I fabricated.

Its SOOOO much cheaper that way.
Same here im 20 also... im not a master tech but i do my own work hasnt been much on my truck but i would always help my friends with thier cars, help one of them swap an engine on an old skoo subaru. that wasnt to harder but timing it was harder than normal since it's a boxer engine..
Old 07-17-2007, 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
part of the modding experience is gettin in there and busting nuckles IMO. its the only way to learn too.

If it can be done with the tools I have, I can do it. I can wire pretty much anything and install any bolt on that doesn't require pipe bending or welding. Only thing I'm clueless about is building motors and installing gears. Know a little bit about tuning, but with someone like Charlie, why bother?

Quick Reply: Are you your own wrench?