THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

whats your bottom dollar ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all good points. maybe mine was different because i was in a HAVE TO SELL situation, and had just finished my truck. it felt like such a slap in the face each time someone did that, because i felt like was asking well BELOW what mine was worth for the point of trying to move it swiftly..

yet still, each day, someone would offer 10K for it. i cant even imagine offereng such a schmuck offer as that.. but almost everyday i got that sort of ****.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

It's the first rule of negotiation. If you ever read anything about negotiating the first thing they teach is always try to get the other party to name there price first. You never know what they are thinking and there price might be lower or higher if your selling then yours. I always leave emotion on the sideline when negotiation. If some one HAS to sell and is willing to take a loss, that's not really my concern, cus I'm doing what they need by buying what they are selling for what they will sell it for. That's how the negotiation prosses works. No need to get worked up over it. A good negotiation, neither party is completely happy with what they paid for and sold for but the deal was done.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:09 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

There's a lot of people who expect top dollar for whatever **** they're selling

For instance, the 2000 GMC for sale in the classifieds for 15k right now, are you ******* kidding me?

And theres a 5.3 in classifieds with 70k miles on sale for a thousand dollars too. right
Old 09-20-2010, 01:18 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeff
Its just the way it is. I am sure you have tried in some instances to beat people around on price.. Alot of people start of way high in the first place( not saying you did). When I sell something I ask more for it most of the time, cuz I know damn well I am going to get low balled. In that case it makes the buyer feel like they got a deal, if they jew you down on price.. And some people are just out of there minds when asking some of the prices they do.. Its the name of the game
Old 09-20-2010, 02:07 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is how I start every sell. I ask for more than what I will take for it, then once a buyer offers me a lower, but still acceptable price then I take it. I don't get upset, because sometimes I will actually consider a lowball offer. Sometimes I just say the hell with it and don't sell until I get what I originally ask for it.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:49 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by sickREDsierra
why do so many of you jackasses on here look at a man's build sheet, photos and info on his truck.. then see a clear asking price on what he feels like he wants for his truck he doesnt want to sell... and then the first damn question you want to ask is whats the least i can **** you out of this for ?

pisses me off when i read that, and i already read that three times on here in just a few minutes. thats all i got when i sold mine too. WTF morons.

discuss
i think your a moron for making this thread...do you pay the asking price for everything you purchase. if so you're the one most likely getting fucked because i can just about guarantee that most sellers tack on an extra 1k or so to have some haggle room. it's part of the process of buying a car/truck. pop some zanex and chill out dude.

at a dealership, i will ask bottom dollar, then offer them even less. they usually cave in and sell it.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
There's a lot of people who expect top dollar for whatever **** they're selling.
That's because of emotional attachments and financial 'investments' people make in their cars. One could consider modding a vehicle as an investment if and only if owner intends to use these mods himself; preferably throughout car's natural lifetime. When someone mods a vehicle and then wants to sell it then this so called investment automatically becomes a liability. For every thousand bucks one spends on a mod he will be able to recover 10, perhaps 20, percent. This doesn't get thru to a lot of sellers and if they invest a thousand they feel they should get it back during sale time. That's extremely unrealistic. Having said that bring me to this ...

Originally Posted by sickREDsierra
I felt like was asking well BELOW what mine was worth for the point of trying to move it swiftly [...] but almost everyday i got that sort of ****.
Far more important is the recognition of a difference between what YOU think you car is worth and what it is REALLY worth. Kelly Blue Book, NADA, Edmunds.com ... (what they say about car value[s]) that's bunch of bullshit to which a lot of ignorant people jerk off to and quote as facts. Sure enough; when insurance companies give you a quote they go by KBB but when time comes for pay for it (stolen, totaled, whatever) they pay you market. The oldest trick in a book.

The only way you can truly determine how much something is worth is to put it up on the auction. IT IS WORTH WHAT PEOPLE ARE WILLING TO PAY FOR IT. For example, people are willing to pay 5-7x the retail price for an iPhone but in time of declining economy, crisis and high gas prices they aren't willing to pay your asking price for a car. That unfortunate fact causes you and a lot of other sellers a lot of grief and sometimes anger.

There is also a difference between what the car is worth and what once could possibly sell it for. This is what happens at car dealerships. If you buy a new car from a dealer and immediately put it up on an auction you will find out how much you overpaid. Usually around 30% if not more.

There is a guy here from whom I wanted to make a purchase. We've been going back and forth on a price. Finally he put it up on an auction and 1) he found out that it is worth 7K less than what he thought it was worth and 2) I found out it is worth 3K less from what I was willing to pay him. If we agreed on a price then I'd overpay 4K. Considering what the car is worth these numbers are ******* huge. However, a good deal and low ball offer fall somewhere in between.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:53 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Sotorin
That's because of emotional attachments and financial 'investments' people make in their cars. One could consider modding a vehicle as an investment if and only if owner intends to use these mods himself; preferably throughout car's natural lifetime. When someone mods a vehicle and then wants to sell it then this so called investment automatically becomes a liability. For every thousand bucks one spends on a mod he will be able to recover 10, perhaps 20, percent. This doesn't get thru to a lot of sellers and if they invest a thousand they feel they should get it back during sale time. That's extremely unrealistic. Having said that bring me to this ...

Far more important is the recognition of a difference between what YOU think you car is worth and what it is REALLY worth. Kelly Blue Book, NADA, Edmunds.com ... (what they say about car value[s]) that's bunch of bullshit to which a lot of ignorant people jerk off to and quote as facts. Sure enough; when insurance companies give you a quote they go by KBB but when time comes for pay for it (stolen, totaled, whatever) they pay you market. The oldest trick in a book.

The only way you can truly determine how much something is worth is to put it up on the auction. IT IS WORTH WHAT PEOPLE ARE WILLING TO PAY FOR IT. For example, people are willing to pay 5-7x the retail price for an iPhone but in time of declining economy, crisis and high gas prices they aren't willing to pay your asking price for a car. That unfortunate fact causes you and a lot of other sellers a lot of grief and sometimes anger.

There is also a difference between what the car is worth and what once could possibly sell it for. This is what happens at car dealerships. If you buy a new car from a dealer and immediately put it up on an auction you will find out how much you overpaid. Usually around 30% if not more.

There is a guy here from whom I wanted to make a purchase. We've been going back and forth on a price. Finally he put it up on an auction and 1) he found out that it is worth 7K less than what he thought it was worth and 2) I found out it is worth 3K less from what I was willing to pay him. If we agreed on a price then I'd overpay 4K. Considering what the car is worth these numbers are ******* huge. However, a good deal and low ball offer fall somewhere in between.
^^i like this guy. welcome to the forum
Old 09-20-2010, 03:55 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

If anything, modding a vehicle lowers resale value. Nobody wants to buy a car that someone else has molested and messed with. You might get a few people just wanting to pick up a quick vehicle and not have to build it themselves, but I'd say 95% of buyers want something unmolested. I'd rather pay more for something that hasn't been touched.

If anything I'd be lucky to get a decent selling price for my truck only because the main components are newer than original. The motor, trans, rear end, etc are all newer parts with much lower mileage, but the fact that it is not original and has been raced and beat on definitely lowers it back down to the point that it doesn't really matter that they're newer parts.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:01 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
There's a lot of people who expect top dollar for whatever **** they're selling

For instance, the 2000 GMC for sale in the classifieds for 15k right now, are you ******* kidding me?

And theres a 5.3 in classifieds with 70k miles on sale for a thousand dollars too. right
Hey I plan on buying that 11 year old truck and putting that 70k mile engine in it.:nunchuk1:

Quick Reply: whats your bottom dollar ?