THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

whats wrong with my computer

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 02:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats wrong with my computer

what is wrong with my laptop??

heres the specs

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name PUNX223
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model Latitude D610
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~1994 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A06, 10/2/2005
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
User Name PUNX223\1
Time Zone Pacific Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 1.14 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 2.58 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

it not exactly the newest thing but has plenty of memory, plenty of drive space,and sufficient processor.

-it takes a lil bit to boot up.... about a minute to 2 min.

- when you close a program, sometimes it will just hang there like its stuck... you have to ctrl-alt-del and endprogram a bunch of times toget it to close

- when first clicking IE it can takeup to 30 seconds to a minute for it to open...

this may seem like nothing... but it can actually be a pita over time

i have defragged... ran virus scans, updated all bios and drivers, scandisked, scaned for adware/spyware... any help would be appreciated
Old 12-31-2007, 08:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

gonna sound silly but i seen it happen, is the memory matched? if the memory is mismatched it will have problems, i see this is a 2.0 gig processor correct? youre running 2 gigs of memory way more than need for 2.0 g processor.. i would pull one stick out and see if speed changes, if not pull the other and put the stick you pulled back in, this will help dictate if you have a memory stick going out..
Old 12-31-2007, 10:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Sorry I Actually Just Got The Ram... Was 512 Single Stick...

My Fiances Parents Gave Me A Lil Change To See If I Could Fix It... So I Bought 2gig Of Ram.. Put 1 Stick In No Change... 2 Sticks No Change

Before I Changed From The 512 It Would Take Up To 3 Min To Boot
Old 12-31-2007, 10:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

When you hit ctrl+alt+del go to the processes tab and look at the bottom of the window. It will tell you how many processes you have running at that moment. If it's over 50 or so that could be part of your problem. Try to disable some of the programs that start up with the computer and see if that helps. You have already tried what I would have suggested right off the bat. Make sure you anti-virus/spyware/adware programs are all up to date as well.

Might be time to format and do a clean install of XP.............
Old 12-31-2007, 10:37 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

From what I've experienced, I'd check what Frito mentioned. Sounds like you have too many processes firing up on start up. My computer takes a while to start up, and I've turned off alot of crap...some things automatically turn themselves back on. Gotta get my computer guru buddy to take a look at it one of these days...
Old 12-31-2007, 10:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Frito Bandito
When you hit ctrl+alt+del go to the processes tab and look at the bottom of the window. It will tell you how many processes you have running at that moment. If it's over 50 or so that could be part of your problem. Try to disable some of the programs that start up with the computer and see if that helps. You have already tried what I would have suggested right off the bat. Make sure you anti-virus/spyware/adware programs are all up to date as well.

Might be time to format and do a clean install of XP.............
I THOUGHT ABOUT DOING A CLEAN INSTALL... BUT I ALWAYS TRY TO FIX IT RATHER THAN CLEAR CUT... I TRY TO UNDERSTAND WHATS CAUSING IT SO IF IT HAPPENS AGAIN I DONT HAVE TO KEEP FORMATTING
Old 12-31-2007, 11:01 AM
TECH Junkie

do this its basically the samething mentioned as above, go to start run then type in msconfig go to start up (i think) and uncheck all files, it will ask you to reboot just reboot, this will turn off all running apps, even the ones in the background that you normally not know that is running....
Old 12-31-2007, 11:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by skeet
do this its basically the samething mentioned as above, go to start run then type in msconfig go to start up (i think) and uncheck all files, it will ask you to reboot just reboot, this will turn off all running apps, even the ones in the background that you normally not know that is running....
BUT ARENT ALOT OF THOSE NEEDED FOR EINDOWS OPERATION??
Old 12-31-2007, 11:25 AM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

ACtually there is probably nothing wrong with the computer. I would just reload all the software on the computer. I usually wipe and reload all the software on my computer at least once or twice a year. Microsoft products and operating systems tend to build up crap over time and it causes them to run slower...
Old 12-31-2007, 11:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
ACtually there is probably nothing wrong with the computer. I would just reload all the software on the computer. I usually wipe and reload all the software on my computer at least once or twice a year. Microsoft products and operating systems tend to build up crap over time and it causes them to run slower...
WELL TAHT MAY BE WHAT I DO THEN.... ONLY PROBLEM IS THE RESTORE DISC WENT MIA SO NOW IM UP A CREEK... I HAVE A XP PRO DISK... BUT THE REG CODE FOR MY COMPUTER IS FOR XP PRO.... SO THAT REG CODE PROBABLY WONT WORK... AND IF I USE MY XP HOME REG CODE IT WILL PROBABLY LOG IT AS PIRATED BECAUSE OF USING IT ON MULTIPLE COMPUTERS

Quick Reply: whats wrong with my computer