THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

What do you mow with?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 11:34 AM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you need a machine to do more than mow grass, get the deere.

If your just mowing get the bad boy.

The deere will hold its value , something else to think about.

Either way you cant go wrong.

Also my tractor "sips" fuel, i can mow bout 4 or more times on a tank ( 5.5-6 gal) thats 2.5 - 3 acres.

Also my tractror is a hydro model with foward and reverse pedals.

Mine was 16,500 with the loader and mower. You might be able to find a deal out there or buy the loader later down the road.

its a definite investment, like i said depends on your uses.

Good luck.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TIM Z
If you need a machine to do more than mow grass, get the deere.

If your just mowing get the bad boy.

The deere will hold its value , something else to think about.

Either way you cant go wrong.

Also my tractor "sips" fuel, i can mow bout 4 or more times on a tank ( 5.5-6 gal) thats 2.5 - 3 acres.

Also my tractror is a hydro model with foward and reverse pedals.

Mine was 16,500 with the loader and mower. You might be able to find a deal out there or buy the loader later down the road.

its a definite investment, like i said depends on your uses.

Good luck.
The Kubotas I've looked at are also the Hydro models, Ive gotten prices from 11,800 for a last years model, to 14,999 this years with the 26 hp diesel. All with loader and mower.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:41 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I use one of these with a big bush hog platform behind it when I mow

Old 02-25-2010, 01:38 PM
TECH Addict

Don't get the Kubota BX2350, unless you want whiplash.
I have that exact tractor and the 50 series (BX 1850, 2350, BX24) have a redesigned hydro trans that when stopping in reverse stops extremely hard and fast. Suppose to be a safety factory but after all the complaints they redesigned it again with the 60 series.

Overall it's been a great tractor, no problems with the 2-1/2 years of owning it.
I had a zero turn before and it was fine but was limited to only mowing with it.
Now I can do yard work, move piles (dirt, gravel, mulch, etc), snow plow and occasionally mow the lawn.
Only thing I liked better about the zero turn was the ride, my yard is too bumpy. This summers project.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

we use a new holland tc-30 for our ranch.. but this is for 12+ acres.. new holland has some good tractors.. never had a problem with this one we have for the past 9 years.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

I vote for the tractor, I have mowed my exact same yard with a zero turn, kubota, and a cub cadet 5200. Time wise it was a toss up between the zero turn and cub. The kubota with a belly mower was faster and did a fine job next to the house. Plus with a barn and drainage ditches it is much more durable and rugged. The tractor is much more versatile and is an awesome toy when not mowing. The other two are only good for one job, like the pics above you will be inventing new ways to use the tractor every day of the year.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:44 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TIM Z
Those BadBoy mowers are awesome! PM 03sierraSLT. He has one.

I use a 2008 Deere 2320 3 cyl diesel 4x4 compact tractor.

It has a quick detach Front end loader ( worth its weight in gold) And a drive on quick attach 62'' deck.

Its built like a brick **** house and ive never had a problem with.

I mow 2.5 acres ( own 12) And it mows great/fast and Ive moved over 200 ton of fill with it.

I bought it cuz its very versatile, i was going to get a zero turn, but for a little more money i got a machine that can do it all.

Plus, you don't need a floor jack!!

Old 02-25-2010, 02:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Well, I went out at lunch at test drove a few zero turns at this place down the road from my work. I'm leaning more than ever toward the zero turn.

Just some tips that the owner of the place gave me after explaining my situation and obstacles that I will encounter at my place, it would have been easy for him to push the more expensive unit on me, he sells both the zeros and tractors. Gave me some advice on what to look for whether I buy from him or not.

I do agree that the tractor would be a hella fun toy, and would make a few tasks much easier for me, but I'm not sure I can justify twice the money for the 3 or 4 times a year that I may actually need the loader.

I test drove a Toro Pro Commercial and a Dixie Chopper Silver Eagle. The toro was a bit simpler design, plenty of power even at 21 hp, a little lower center of gravity. The Dixie was a 27 hp generac, plenty of power some pretty cool features that I liked, only thing I'm unsure of is the little higher center of gravity, makes me a bit nervous of mowing on a slope, but Dixie just pushed out a deal of 0% for 60 months financing on them, where as the toro and many others don't come anywhere near that. I almost can't pass the financing up on the Dixie.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:48 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Amen! I dont have to lift like a caveman any more!
Old 02-25-2010, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

More horsepower is good when mowing in tall grass, my brother in laws toro seemed a little under powered when I used it in tall grass. I had to slow way down which killed my perception of their speed and and agility.

Quick Reply: What do you mow with?