THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

What condition to sell my truck in?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 01:28 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What condition to sell my truck in?

Next thursday Im going to go look at an 05 cc z71 that has high miles on it but Im not worried about the drivetrain since I know my way around it, I just want a black crew cab, even though its not the truck I really want it is less then half of what I would have to pay for the dmax I want and I can get a house two years sooner. Anyway on to the question, the engine/trans is out of the truck right now. It will be going back in over the next week. I have a small cam 205/212 115lsa(will use brand new LS6 springs), and a TT2600 that I can throw in when I put it all back together. Im just wondering if I shouldnt just put it back totally stock with the just the corsa catback, volant intake and tune and leave the baby cam and stall out of it to sell it. If I sold my truck on here I know those would be pluses for buying it but selling it to the general public it would be a minus. If I sold it to the general public I would pull the catback and intake off, and flash a stock tune back in it. I need to decide soon but I cant make up my mind. BTW the truck Im looking at has 124K on it and I could walk out of the dealership for 14k, not too bad IMO, and after I sell my truck I would only be into it for 6Kish which I could pay off really quickly thus Im wanting to jump on it. Its a good compromise between money spent and the new truck that I really want.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:09 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I dont think thats a bad idea Cody... but if its a Dmax you really want, why not save up and get it... put yours back basically stock and drive it a little longer, and get what you really want... the CC may turn into another money pit keeping you farther away from the diesel and house you really want... I agree, newer, nicer, more room all that but... Why get something you know may end up with problems before you get what you really want. Its a good deal but I'd have to pass.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:55 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
I dont think thats a bad idea Cody... but if its a Dmax you really want, why not save up and get it... put yours back basically stock and drive it a little longer, and get what you really want... the CC may turn into another money pit keeping you farther away from the diesel and house you really want... I agree, newer, nicer, more room all that but... Why get something you know may end up with problems before you get what you really want. Its a good deal but I'd have to pass.
I gotta agree with this....if you really want that D-Max, then put your truck back to stock and drive it like that till you can afford to get what you want. If you get the black CC you can take that $6k difference and kiss it goodbye. You'll never see it again. That's $6k farther from a house and a D-Max that you'll have to make up at some point.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whichever truck you decide to buy, leave the cam and stall out of your old truck. The average guy sees mods like cams and stalls are red flags. Cat-back and intakes, even soccer moms have those so they are safe for resale.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:27 AM
apple bottom jeans

Most stealerships will make you drop intakes,(at least up here anyways) but love exhausts.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

i say get what truck you want now. then get a house around that. not the other way around. once you get a house you wont be able afford much else. there are alot of people who did it house first, then vehicle. now they are stuck drving a POS. trust me man...get that DMAX first!! the housing market for average people sucks...you will always find a good deal on a new crib. there were 250,000 foreclosures last year...trust me you will find a good deal on a new house.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:02 PM

I would love to get the Dmax but it would put off me getting a house for 2 more years minimum and my rent is almost 900 a month for my apt/garage, thats 20K I could have paid on a house, thats what really kills the idea of getting an expensive new truck. So I guess technically by getting this truck it would be like paying 45K on a house with the 20K saved in rent and the 25K more on top of the 15K that I would spend for this truck to get the Dmax. As much as I want it the conservative money side of my says get the house ASAP. Right now the housing market is a buyers market with interest rates coming back down and foreclosed homes aplenty, I just cant see not buying a house when my lease is up in October. When/If I get this truck it will have a few things done to it but no where near the extent of the current Z71. Ill swap my volant and corsa over to it, some bolt ons and a radix and leave it the hell alone for a long time, just replace what breaks and go on down the road, no more multiple engine/trans swaps.

Affording the Dmax right now isnt the problem, I can go buy one right now, its just I cant get one and buy a house within the next 2 years and still live the lifestyle I do now. I would have to cut back, no more going out etc, and thats just not going to happen. Im only 21 but I figure if I can get a house now, I could have it paid off by 30 and living in a paid for house by 30 with the current amount I save in my 401K I could retire at 50 like I want to. Sometimes the here and now isnt always the point to focus on I have learned.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

$14k for a 124k mile '05 sounds high. As for mileage, that doesn't mean crap....mine has 211k miles and still all original. I drive the $hit out of my truck!!! The only thing to worry, is how well the previous owner took care of it. [ I've always done my preventative maintenance once a year (every 40k).] That's going to be my dilemma soon, because I'm not buying a new truck for a long time. I plan on getting another '01-'02 model paid in cash and rebuilding mine they way I want it.

I hear you on the house thing. But what about property? I'd rather live on 3-5 acres with a "temporary" mobile home until I had my house built, than to live in a suburb with a bunch of a-hole neighbors. But that's just my plan. I refuse to get caught up in debt like I was!!! It's taken over 3 years to get close to getting things squared up.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:17 PM
Made in South Korea

Here in CA you can buy a 50k mile crew cab for $15k
Old 01-09-2008, 12:08 AM

I talked to the secretary at work the other day and her dad is an auto wholesaler so I may actually be able to get a dmax but it will only be a nbs not a nnbs like I really wanted but it will still be nice. When I put the truck back together I will put it back to stock and see how the next few months go, and decide from there what I want to do on getting a new truck. Right now an 05/06 dmax sounds really good but we will see.