THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

For the true dog lovers

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 02:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by texasglock23
$70, **** that! How long with that bag last you?
Ya long story short what we thought was a UTI when we got her as a puppy turned out to be a rare condition called Ectopic Ureters. The tubes that went from her kidneys to her bladder did't actually go into her bladder like they were suppose to. Anyways two operations and around 10k later I have a very expensive 1 1/2 year old lab that per the vets orders has to be feed that CD diet to reduce the chances she get any stones or things built up that could cause problems.

I feed her two cups in the morning and two and night. I honestly have not paid attention to how long the bag last me I just go buy more when we get low. I think the bag normally last about a month to month and a half.

A couple pics of the girl
As a puppy

Enjoying the snow
Old 02-01-2012, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

You are a better man than I...I've done some strange and expensive things, but $10k, I couldn't do it.

I watched my cousin dish out $4k, and that is about all I could manage. Unfortunately, I would have to put my dog down, not that I don't love either of them, but that is a ton of money. There are countless APBT's that need rescued, I would just rescue another one. When we lost our amazing 1.2 year old from a sudden death (vet thinks heart condition) we were able to rescue three more. I kept one, a cousin and friend got one each. I loved Rhylie to death, fantastic dog, but her death created a better life for three that were doomed.

Gorgeous dog nonetheless, and 4 cups, ****, my dogs only ate about 2-2.5 a day, and that is with less quality food (diamond naturals).
Old 02-01-2012, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 02-01-2012, 05:25 PM
TECH Veteran

You are a better man than I...I've done some strange and expensive things, but $10k, I couldn't do it.

I watched my cousin dish out $4k, and that is about all I could manage. Unfortunately, I would have to put my dog down, not that I don't love either of them, but that is a ton of money. There are countless APBT's that need rescued, I would just rescue another one. When we lost our amazing 1.2 year old from a sudden death (vet thinks heart condition) we were able to rescue three more. I kept one, a cousin and friend got one each. I loved Rhylie to death, fantastic dog, but her death created a better life for three that were doomed.

Gorgeous dog nonetheless, and 4 cups, ****, my dogs only ate about 2-2.5 a day, and that is with less quality food (diamond naturals).
Had I known I would have spent 10k on the dog to start with I probably would had said **** that.

Since we got her at such a young age I felt like i owed it to her to try the first surgery to fix the problem.

She was 6 months old and we noticed the problem that she was leaking urine cause her tubes from her kidney did not tie into her bladder like they were suppose to after doing a contrast scan. This was around $1200

You could see clear as day the tubes did not tie into the bladder so we opted to try the surgery to fix that. This was around ~$3600

At first it seemed like it worked but then it came back. So hundreds in meds and other ideas that never worked.

Finally he suggested another surgery that had worked on other dogs in the lower 48. He was going to place an artificial sphincter around her urethra that can help control the flow. Basically it was going to be tight enough so she didn't leak but could still urinate with no problems. It has a little port on her belly they could inject sterile water to apply pressure around the ring. We got lucky and they did this at cost for us ~$1000

Thought all was going good. Swelling was gone and we thought we found the right amount to inject to keep pressure on her urethra. All was going good till about a month ago and she was crying non stop in the morning, kept wanting to go outside and looked like she was straining to urinate and was throwing up everywhere. Naturally it was a Sunday and only the pet emergency hospital was open. Was 3 days between that office, the surgeon who did the two operations and another pet hospital that watched her over night and kept a urinary catahdor in her. Turned out she got a really bad UTI and was so swollen up around that artificial catahador that she could not pass urine. They finally were able to drain the urine, get her on antibiotics and get the swelling down. This was close to ~$4000.

All this and she is only 1.5 years old

Everything is great now and she is doing great and if problems come up in the future we know exactly what to do and it wont cost near as much.

Can't say I would be willing to spend all that over again on a dog but she was young and I felt like I owed her the first chance...after that it just kept going down the rabbit hole. All I know is I could have a lot of nice performance parts on my truck for what I spent on keeping her health and alive

Sorry for the novel.. back to talking about dog food.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have been wanting to make some food like this for my dogs, but didnt really know where two start. I have two young Cocker Spaniel mixes, 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 years old.

I have a smoker, I smoke whole chickens all the time, keeps the meat super moist. I was thinking about chicken or turkey, with vegitables, and maybe a little dry food
Old 02-01-2012, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

DO NOT cook the meat and give it to them with bones. No need to smoke, feed raw.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

DO NOT cook the meat and give it to them with bones. No need to smoke, feed raw.
even poultry? I dont give them bones, I cut it up into bite size pieces, no seasoning or salt or anything.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Everything you see pictured is raw except the eggs, they do not like them raw. I boil them and leave the shell.

Bone are fine if they are not cooked, those brisket bones lasted about 5 minutes.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:58 PM
Praise The Lowered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ducky
I just want to make sure I am getting a good % of mixture and not letting it be like a super high protein diet.
Super High Protien is the point of feeding raw. And a K9 does not need ANY carbs..In the wild a coyote/wolf/fox eats 95% protien diet..I think the fruits veggies are for vitamins/flavor/fiber..but not 100% sure.. But I have read a dog CANNOT breakdown/digest certain parts of fruits & veggies, Thus the need to grind/puree them. In the wild they are getting the fruits/veggies from the prey's intestine/stomach.

-Green Tripe is one of the best raw foods you can give a Dog..If you guys in Texas can get that..

Here is my 40lb male English Staffordshire Bull Terrier (the OG bully breed) he is fed 100% raw and has zero allergys or health issues..

A site I like/used
Raw Fed Dogs
Old 02-01-2012, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

High protein is only good for an active dog, feed to much and they will get fat, same with high protein kibble.

Certain meats/poultry/fish have high or low amounts! Choose accordingly.

and we have tripe... Texas Tripe - Raw Foods for Dogs and Cats in North Texas

Quick Reply: For the true dog lovers