THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Time for me to get serious about working out(need suggestions)

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 08:15 PM
something else

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-build-muscle-mass-guide/

This might be a help full site also, I don't know if you have seen this one or not.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

if your work out is anything compared to when you and I put the exhaust on . . . you're going to need a workout buddy to kick your *** and not take breaks/distracted.
Take a routine list for the day's work out.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:17 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have horrid ADD, its affected me my entire life and makes it difficult for me to focus on any task just not putting and exhaust on my truck and leaving my favorite channel locks at your place

My roomate is going to work out with me so that should help out a bit.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
I have horrid ADD, its affected me my entire life and makes it difficult for me to focus on any task just not putting and exhaust on my truck and leaving my favorite channel locks at your place

My roomate is going to work out with me so that should help out a bit.
I'm not any better . . . if I'm doing a project, I have to use/keep/return my tools all to one area, other wise, I'm looking all over.

I'm even worse when someone is asking questions while I'm working.

Were you here this past weekend? . . . I did a job . . . and used those badass channel locks again !
Old 07-27-2009, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There has been alot of good info in this thread. Like it has been stated diet is the most important thing when it comes to weight training. I'm a command fitness leader for my USMC unit which is just a fancy name for someone who PT's well. I have had so many different workout partners over the years and have learned alot of do's and dont's when it comes to get in shape. I few very basic things to focus on is your diet (increased protein intake), drink plenty of water (a gallon a day is more than enough) and lift religiously. With your fast metabolism cardio should not be at the top of your list but you should include it at least a couple times a week as well as proper stretching. When I was younger I would lift, eat and party. I was so injury prone because I didnt stretch prior to or after working out. Check out body building .com. There is a ton of info on this same subject. I used to do all the big lifting competitions on base when I was younger but as of lately I have focused alot more on runnning, and cross fit to keep my weight down and my body healthier now that I'm considered an "old man" by USMC standards. BTW I'm only 29.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:52 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cody if you can swing it, get a trainer. They will be able to personalize something for you, put together a diet plan, and go over your goals. You will also be on a set schedule and be held accountable. If you do that for a few months and figure out what works and get in the habit of going and get a good workout plan put together for yourself it will be easy to maintain. That's what I had to do. I had a trainer for about 6 months, lost 30 lbs (since I was a little bit overweight), and he wrote me up a good meal plan and workout plan. Now I don't have much of a problem working out by myself and maintaining my 170lb weight.

Trainers can be expensive but when you think about it in terms of your overall health it's a small price to pay.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by thunder550
Cody if you can swing it, get a trainer. They will be able to personalize something for you, put together a diet plan, and go over your goals. You will also be on a set schedule and be held accountable. If you do that for a few months and figure out what works and get in the habit of going and get a good workout plan put together for yourself it will be easy to maintain. That's what I had to do. I had a trainer for about 6 months, lost 30 lbs (since I was a little bit overweight), and he wrote me up a good meal plan and workout plan. Now I don't have much of a problem working out by myself and maintaining my 170lb weight.

Trainers can be expensive but when you think about it in terms of your overall health it's a small price to pay.
I like the idea of a trainer, but the problem is that you're basically relying on someone else to help you get in shape. That's a good thing if all you need is a kick in the ***, but many people get lazy as soon as they stop meeting with their personal trainer, they lose interest and then they resort back to their old ways.

You have to look at it as exciting and fun. Set goals for yourself and make them obtainable. That will give you something to work for. It's hard to see results in the mirror when you look at yourself every day, but when you finally bench 200/300/400 for the first time, then you can say you've met one of your goals.

I'll give you a call here in a sec Cody. I just got off work.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:45 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 374 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by RandomHero
You have to look at it as exciting and fun. Set goals for yourself and make them obtainable. That will give you something to work for. It's hard to see results in the mirror when you look at yourself every day, but when you finally bench 200/300/400 for the first time, then you can say you've met one of your goals.
I 100% agree with this. I had worked out in highschool since the summer before 9th grade before football, then all through the year with football in the fall and spring/summer, and wrestling in the winter. So by the time I graduated I was all but burnt out. Its been a little over 2 years and in those 2 years I maybe went to the gym a few times a month just to say I did pretty much. This summer I got it in my head I wanted to get back to lifting, and first time I went back and tried to lift heavy I realized I was stronger when I was 17 than when I am now, and that got me motivated.

I had a goal last week to deadlift 600 pounds, something I had never done before. I worked a few weeks up to that and the week I originally planned to get it, I couldnt finish and could just get it past my knees but couldnt complete the lift. I was too worn out to try again for a few days, but I could not wait to get back in the gym and get what I had been working for. I finally got it when I went back and man, its a great feeling when you reach your goals, just makes you want to go back and try to beat that. I bent a bar in the process so I dont know what I am going to do now, haha...cheap university crap.

But anyway, goals are very important man. The hardest part of lifting is mental, not physical. Good luck.

This is the summer before my senior year, I think its 520. I had a massive back spasm 3 days before so I wasnt 100%, but I still think I have the raw bench, and raw deadlift records for a teenager in alabama.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:29 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RandomHero
I like the idea of a trainer, but the problem is that you're basically relying on someone else to help you get in shape. That's a good thing if all you need is a kick in the ***, but many people get lazy as soon as they stop meeting with their personal trainer, they lose interest and then they resort back to their old ways.
That's true...I just needed a kick in the *** pretty much. I had a trainer for 5 months and have been going on my own regularly for the past 4 months. I did it to drop weight, not necessarily to get big. In 4 months I dropped 30 lbs and went from 25 to 12% body fat. Been maintaining right around there now and I'm happy.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:45 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I plan on starting this sunday. My buddy and my roomate are going to work out with me so Im hoping between the three of us we can keep each other motivated enough, Ive got another buddy who has already been working out so I think we're going to try and all work out together.

Hey Mark my phone hasnt rang

Quick Reply: Time for me to get serious about working out(need suggestions)