THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Time for me to get serious about working out(need suggestions)

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 04:41 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Time for me to get serious about working out(need suggestions)

I know its been talked about on here but as you can imagine searching "work out" comes up with more than a couple results

What are some good books to read that dont focus too much on weight loss? Thats the problem Im finding is everything I read focuses a lot on weight loss and I dont need it, Im 6' and weigh 155#s, Im already lean, I just want to build muscle AND strength. Thats another problem Ive found is alot books/articles talk about getting big, and not so much focusing on muscle strength too. I want to get a lot bigger than I am now dont get me wrong but I dont want to be all show.

I figured with all the men in my family being 6'2"+ and 200#s Id eventually grow into that but at almost 24 I guess Im going to have to work at it to get as big as they did naturally.

As you can see in this picture Im quite a bit smaller than my dad and skinny as hell. He didnt get the beer belly until recently which I guess aint bad for being 53 and not working out at all...

Id also like to find a book that focuses on what to eat also, the ones Ive read so far lightly touch on it but dont really go in depth. Any cook books along those lines?

It also seems like certain books push certain supplements(Im sure they're paid to) but which ones actually work? Im hesistant to take suggestions on these from what I read as anyone writing the article/book could be getting paid to the throw that name out there. Im not afraid to spend the money on it, but I want to be able to tell a difference and it be worth the money.

Cardo is something thats pretty difficult for me since I have a titanium plate in my ankle it doesnt allow me to run very much without getting extremely sore and weak so I think Im pretty much stuck to swimming for my cardo but any other suggestions would be fine.

Basically Im not asking everyone to come up with a workout plan for me, I would just like to know some good resources to do my research because I want to see results and Im willing to work my *** off. Its just hard for me since I have such a rediculously fast metabolism, I drink a case of beer a week and eat whatever I want whenever I want and dont put on a pound, Ive been this same weight for going on 3 years now so I dont see that channging without me working on it. Im not willing to give up my beer drinking but I am willing to work extra hard to make up for it before anyone suggests that. Im willing to cut back some but I enjoy the weekends and it involves lots of volleyball, bbq and beer drinking, they all just kinda go together

In a perfect world Id like to be 190 by next summer, anyone think thats attainable? On my frame I think gaining 35#s of muscle would get me to about where I want to be looks wise.

PS does anyone have any HGH I can buy?
Old 07-26-2009, 04:54 PM
Tribe Shaman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cody your metabalizim ( may be wrong ) works on over kill.
your just so damn skinnie, you can turn your self in to a mass of muscel.
may not look like arnold but you can have a body like bruce lee.

you can look like arnold but it will cost a pretty penny and a few injections of roids.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:56 PM
Launching!

35lbs is a little tuff to do but can be done u need to eat alot because lifting wiegts is going to use alot of the calories your going to need to put on the wieght. Ive just started lifting again but im cutting weight. But when i was 16 i was 5'7 135 in 5 months i went to 155 prolly from all the beer but mostly cause i ate everything i could and lifted twice a day with no cardio.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:03 PM
TECH Resident

A friend of mine could was very skinny and couldn't gain weight if he tried. He went and met with a nutritionist through his medical coverage and they got him on a plan where with in a few months he had gained 10 pounds.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:04 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 374 Likes on 255 Posts

Move big weight.

Seriously, low reps, high weight. Do the big exercises, namely, squats, deadlifts, and bench press. The little exercises like curls are more or less useless so dont bother unless you want to show off. I like to do 80% of my max for a set of 3, 90% for a set of 2, and 95% for one after a warm up with under 5 reps.

Also, dont compare yourself to anyone else in the gym. Alot of smaller guys dont like to do low reps because they cant do that much relative to some of the big guys and feel inferior, so they are afraid to push it. The idea is to push your body to its limits, then rest and let it recover.

I am going to gym about twice a week now because I kill it whenever I go and am too sore to go any more, and getting good rest is very important.

As for what to eat, short answer, everything as long as its somewhat balanced. I was making shakes with over 200grams of protein and taking them during workouts, and tried everything else. I never saw a difference and its too expensive for a nasty tasting milkshake.

I havent worked out seriously in about 2 years and just started back about a month ago, and ive put on about 5-7 pounds since then. My deadlift has gone up about 100 pounds since I started. Im 20, 5'11 about 270, bench 390, squat 570, and deadlift 600, so I am doing something right I guess.

For cardio I will ride my bike for an hour or two after my workout which usually comes to about 20 miles. Ive never had a cardio problem, but jump rope and boxing with a bag will really tear you up. Crossfit training is also intense.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:05 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont want to look like Arnold by any means, I just want to gain some strength, get a big chest/arms and be extremely toned. I dont want to look like a big meat head, I want to have a body a lot like as you put it Bruce Lee. Back in HS when I was lifting, and playing 4 sports you could see every muscle in my body without me even flexing much, I was still fairly small but extremely toned, I want to get back to that but a bigger upper body.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:08 PM
something else

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drink protein shakes and lift weights, don't lift big weights lift some thing that you can handle and do it 12-15 reps 3 times. Change it up every day that you go to the gym don't focus on your biceps 2 days in a row, you will not gain results well. Change it up every day and you will notice strength and weight gaining.

I am 6' and 235 and I have been going to the gym for 3 months now and I am about 243-245 now and I have been tightening the belt up, so I know that I am putting on muscle mass.

Stretch also!
Old 07-26-2009, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Unless your will to go the extra mile ie roids.You have to deal the hand that's delt.You would be lucky to gain 15lbs of muscle a year and that's only gonna happen for a couple maybe 3 years.The best advice for someone in your position is to find out what your body likes everyones different this includes diet and workout regement.Stay consistant that is very important lot of people work out till they plateau then give up.Remember to switch up exercises shock the muscle this will keep you away from the dreadful plateau.I will continue later.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:10 PM
something else

Another thing is find some one that goes to the gym religiously and work with them. That person will keep you on track.

Everyone has there own way of lifting so I am sure that you are going to get many different responses on here.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:10 PM
12 Second Truck Club

ok you need too eat a ton of calories including lots of protein. try to eat something every 3 hours and a big meal before you go to bed. lift as heavy as you can focusing on compound lifts like bench, squats, deadlifts. stay in the 8-10 rep range. go buy some whey protein and creatine powder and take it before and especially right after you lift. if you stay consistent you can easily pack on some muscle quickly. PM me if you need any other pointers. BTW I do what I preach. i'm not just some random skinny guy lol. GL

Quick Reply: Time for me to get serious about working out(need suggestions)