THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Petroleum Engineering?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 06:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with the subsidies being necessary and not coming given the current technology, but the advances are coming faster than most people realize.

For example, they have produced an organic solar panel capable of 90% light conversion into electricity. The best ones on the market now are only ~33% efficient.

Lithium Ion batteries were a great leap forward, but still work on the cathode / anode principle. They recently found that the the anode cracks after recharging (expanding), so they are experimenting with wrapping the anode with graphene (amazingly strong layer of carbon thats only one atom in thickness) that does't hinder electron transfer.

I can't remember the specifics, but there is a fusion process (I want to say Boron-Hydrogen??) that was once thought to produce only one high energy atom and two low energy atoms. That process was re-examined a few months ago and found that it releases two high and one low, effectively doubling the energy output. The problem is that the reaction requires ~1 million degrees to start. They are getting close to being able tot start that reaction with lasers.

The point of all of this, is that while you are correct about the status of renewable tech given the current technology and government, new tech is rapidly approaching.

Personally, i think the future of power will be micro plants. A combination of solar / hyro-electric and electromagnetic generation in a package that small enough to take up only a corner of a basement will be enough to surpass the needs of the average home / electric vehicle. But I tend to be optimistic.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting stuff

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Stephen, WTF do you know about this crap to give advice?

And when are you going to be in Austin to give me a ride in your soccer mom mobile
Haha, I make it up as I go I actually worked in oil and gas consulting for a few years, specializing in commodity trading risk management, derivative valuation and hedge implementation for midstream companies. Now I'm working at an e&p oil and gas investment bank on the finance side with about a dozen geologists and engineers. I'm by no means an expert since I'm not that far into the real world, but thought I would throw in what I've seen as it relates to oil and gas careers in the case someone finds it somewhat helpful

I do need to make it up to Austin, such a fun city