THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Passed emissions on Friday

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 01:57 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Passed emissions on Friday

I love AZ and OBDII.....I come in, truck is loping and almost stalling when I pull in to the booth (don't have my idle tuning down yet), exhaust smells like a "real car"....they plug me in to the computer, no codes, quick visual under the hood, and I'm on my way with my "Pass" certificate
Old 05-07-2006, 02:22 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What do they look for under the hood?
Old 05-07-2006, 03:08 PM
Tribe Shaman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to make sure everything is there to your year model and plugged in.

I have a friend that owns a tire shop / inspection station and he keeps talking about how they keep trying to pass emissions in my county.
Houston sits in Harris county and the emissions testing according to the plan was to be Harris county and the 5 surrounding county's.
it is an inspection on emissions equipment and exhaust gases according to year your car / truck was made.
it looks like California is setting the standard on this stuff.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:03 PM
Launching!

Houston doesn't have emissions yet? We've had them here for about 3 years now. Im about 50 miles north of Dallas and our air quality has never gotten bad. I figured Houston would be one of the first in the state to get emissions testing.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:47 PM
Launching!

Florida doesn't have emissions, woot woot. =P
Old 05-07-2006, 05:23 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I live in TX but my truck is registered in AL where there is NO inspection what so ever.
Old 05-07-2006, 05:32 PM
TECH Junkie

In California they put the vehicle on a treadmill (they call it a dyno but it doesn't measure HP) then they plug into the ALDL, check for codes and put a sensor, called the sniffer, in the tail pipe. Then even if you pass all of that, there is the visual inspection. If you have a home built cold air intake and pass all of the other tests you fail anyways because its not California Air Resource Board approved. Then after all that a large man in a three piece suit tells you to drop trou and grab your ankles and pay the "California smog tax".
Old 05-07-2006, 06:52 PM
TECH Addict

I'm lucky,
I don't have to do the tread mill test because I'm AWD. Just visual and sniffer
Old 05-07-2006, 07:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GoldenVelvet
In California they put the vehicle on a treadmill (they call it a dyno but it doesn't measure HP) then they plug into the ALDL, check for codes and put a sensor, called the sniffer, in the tail pipe. Then even if you pass all of that, there is the visual inspection. If you have a home built cold air intake and pass all of the other tests you fail anyways because its not California Air Resource Board approved. Then after all that a large man in a three piece suit tells you to drop trou and grab your ankles and pay the "California smog tax".
They do that here too if the vehicle doesn't have an OBDII computer. If it has OBDII they just plug into the port and do a visual safety inspection. I don't think we have a fine or tax if you don't pass. But you still have to pay for the inspection. Around $50. I think most places will run it the second time for free if you pay them to fix it and make it pass.

Last edited by skinnyVHO; 05-07-2006 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

It didn't show the MAF fault code???

Quick Reply: Passed emissions on Friday