THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Old-Balls TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2019, 12:14 AM
makes children cry

Received 399 Likes on 326 Posts
Default Old-***** TPMS

So I bought some "brand new" Schrader 20131 tire sensors for my wife's H3 from RockAuto last week.
What showed up were individual sensor boxes with printed labels baring various Aug 2019 dates but all the production dates stamped into the sensors themselves were from 2014 & 2015.

I requested a return due to the age & noted I'd like a recently-made set, and the next box came in just a couple days. Opened them up & got the same thing - printed as Aug 19, actually made in 2014 & 2015. I wrote customer service about the problem, and they're being no further help saying that unless I install them & they don't work, they have no reason to swap them because they ain't been used yet meaning they've still got the full expected life in them.

Is this a load of crap, or do the batteries actually have some indefinite shelf life? I wrote to Schrader customer service asking the same but ain't heard back. They advertise 5-6yrs of use as an industry standard, but that's assuming you're using brand new sensors as opposed to ones that have been sitting for that long. I know normal batteries last a few years in storage but then eventually do crap out whether you use them or not, and the old ones don't last as long.

Obviously, installing these just to see if they work means I'm stuck with double mount/balance fees if they don't, so that ain't worth it yet... and the other option he gave me was to pay shipping each way to swap these out... but he never indicated any intent to actually check the next ones that go out (just like they didn't check the second set, even with the return note asking them to), which would also be a waste of money & time.

Thoughts & experiences from the masses?
Old 11-27-2019, 05:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

I can’t help much but my wife’s Acadia is still on the original sensors from 2008.
Old 11-27-2019, 06:25 AM
makes children cry

i believe this truck is, too, and we're about to put on a new set of tires, so we wanted to do this all at once & be done for the next few years.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 127 Likes on 107 Posts

In my experience, emailing big companies (and even most small ones) through their site rarely results in return communication. I think it was VDO I wrote to recently regarding TPMS sensors and got dead silence in return. By the way the sensors their site claimed were compatible with my 2006 300C SRT8 did not work.

Sent those back then ordered some Mopar TPMS through Amazon. They showed up sealed in individual baggies, with the clamping nut (metal stem valves) already installed, and the potting material on the back of the sensors had a fine dusting of black crumbs. It was obvious to me they had been installed already, and were probably take-offs that were "recycled" by some asshead in China or wherever. Returned those..

Ordered same Mopar TPMS from an online Mopar dealer. Cost me more, but they showed up brand new, in boxes, unassembled, very clearly new. And they work.

You'd think RockAuto could be a trusted source but at this point if I were you I'd eat the small shipping amount to send them back, and order some from the best price you can find of actual legit GM dealers online. The tire sensor game is wack and as you already know you run the risk of paying extra mount/balance fees; I went through this myself with those VDO sensors that weren't compatible.

Richard
Old 11-27-2019, 09:13 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Rock Auto Is just an online reseller. They drop ship from big wholesale warehouses. No actual inventory so no Building's and Employee Overhead to make up. That's why they can undercut local parts stores Prices.

This is also why they can not tell you how old the shelf inventory is or if you will be receiving something that may have been returned previously. Some things are worth saving a few bucks on.

Certain Electronic Items like these, I usually buy locally.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:27 PM
makes children cry

yeah... thanks, and that's what i was thinking.
Old 11-29-2019, 12:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Just had to replace the ones this year in my wife's 07 Tahoe. I did make sure to get the GM ones labeled " Made in the USA".