THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

My recent dealings with Bob Howard Buick GMC in Oklahoma City, OK

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 11:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm really not sure what happened to the original engine. I have it at my house. Since General Motors nor Bob Howard Buick GMC want to take care of this matter in a timely manner, I'm forced to take the original engine and the new engine to my machine shop and they're going to try and make two into one. I can't afford for it to be down any longer. It's my daily driver. I had to buy another truck when this one originally broke down. Luckily my dad sold me my new truck very cheap. I'd like to be able to have my Sonoma back so I could sell my '97 GMC Sierra I bought from my dad and recoup some of this money that is now LOST
Old 11-30-2012, 12:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Phantom
Just a little background before I start my rambling.

I bought a BRAND NEW GM crate engine more my 2001 GMC sonoma from the parts store at Bob Howard Buick GMC. It's a 2.2l 4 cylinder. My reason for buying from them instead of a salvage yard was because of the 3 year/100,000mile warranty that the engine was supposed to be covered under. I paid to have a qualified service center install the engine, which was acceptable per the warranty rules. The motor made noise, had a bad misfire, and had significant blow-by on the very first start up.

I then had the truck towed to Bob Howard Buick GMC for them to diagnose. The truck was there for a couple days before the service adviser called to say they had performed a crankshaft relearn and the misfires had went away. I went to pick the truck up and as soon as I started it, I could tell the truck was still missing. As I sat there to let the truck come up to operating temp, the service engine light came back on. I pulled around to the service bay to tell them the light had come back on. The service adviser then drove the truck back into the shop and had a technician scan it. They cleared the code and advised me at that time that the misfire was being caused by spark plug, spark plug wire, or fuel injector on cylinder #4 but it was ok to take home. Unfortunately for me, it was not and it failed. I then had to take it to my local dealership where it was tore down. The warranty was denied by that dealership and eventually by GM stating the issue was caused by workmanship during the install. Saying FOD(foreign object debris) was dropped in the motor. Even though, the vehicle HAD JUST LEFT another dealership where it was said to be fine after doing the crankshaft relearn...

Now comes the lengthy posts. I posted these on Bob Howard Buick GMC's Facebook timeline. They are long and drawn out but I felt it was important to include every detail I could. Please take the time to read. Thank you very much

To Whom it may concern,

The customer service I have received from your dealership this past month is unheard of to myself. I've never been treated so rude by a group of individuals. I purchased a new crate motor from the service department at that dealership and upon installation it was clear the engine was bad. I had the pickup towed to your dealership where it was deemed "fixed". Unfortunately on my trip home the truck broke down and was towed to the nearest dealership in my hometown. The engine has been torn down and warranty has been denied because of a claimed "workmanship issue" during the install.

Since then I've tried to contact various people to try and get a better understanding of why the warranty is being denied. A couple of individuals who stick out in my mind are Derrek Gorrell, who was my initial service advisor and who in our most recent conversation actually hung up on me while I was inquiring more information.

Also, a young lady named Nicole, who apparently thought this situation was somewhat humurous and of no importance who put me on an extended hold and then eventually transferred me to a number which received no answer. After listening to a ring for 3-4 minutes I hung up and redialed only to get in touch with Nicole again who was obviously very perturbed to hear my voice and the dissatisfaction I expressed to her by not being transferred to an individual.

The individual I was supposed to be put in touch with was a Mr. Bobby Lubbers who I believe is the GM of that store who is apparently above Steve Wilson who is the Service Department manager, which is on vacation this week. I eventually reached Mr. Lubbers voicemail where I left a message to please call me back. Three voicemails later and I have yet to receive a return call from Mr. Lubbers.

I'm know Bob Howard has thousands of very satisfied customers. My family could be included in the statistic until recently. The treatment I have received from your dealership is unacceptable and won't soon be forgotten. Facebook isn't my favorite place to discuss matters like this, but hopefully THIS concern won't fall on deaf ears as it has by trying to discuss the matter over the phone.

Your former customer,
Danny Parker
(405) 538-7390
Curious how the service center that installed the engine fits into all this. Did one of their techs make a mistake? Would it have been better to let the installlation center deal with the warrenty and the dealership? Would they?
Old 11-30-2012, 12:14 AM
11 Second Club

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

The individual who installed the engine would have more than gladly taken care of it. I was advised to put the truck on a trailer and take it to Bob Howard Buick GMC so that they could diagnose the issue.

General Motors and Bob Howard Buick GMC have both placed the blame on the person who did the install. No absolute proof to confirm that, but it doesn't matter to them. It seems to be their "out".

But, that shouldn't matter. The truck left Bob Howard Buick GMC and was said to be ok by their technicians. How does it go from being ok at one dealership to being the fault of the installer at another?

It doesn't add up. General Motors and/or Bob Howard Buick GMC need to step up and do the right thing and take care of their customer. Plain and simple
Old 11-30-2012, 05:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Any news station is not going to air this because Bob Howard runs commercials on their channels..
Old 11-30-2012, 07:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is not a GM problem, its a dealer created problem. GM denied the claim because its a dealer created problem.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Phantom
They didn't find anything. Nothing except the broke piston in cylinder #4 with a scarred cylinder wall, chewed up piston in cylinder #3 and the mangled combustion chamber for those two cylinders.

It's a very shady deal. GM not the dealerships want to step up and do what is right and take care of the customer by honoring the warranty
You need to get in writing from whoever told you there was .no foreign debris in the engine. They are telling GM that was foreign debris in the engine, so obviously GM does not want to cover it. They are telling you that there was no foreign debris. That is where the whole problem lays. You should file a civil suit (It only costs like $20), and present all of your info in court. You don't need an attorney, and if they bring theirs who cares. Show you followed the rules for the install, brought it to them, and left after they said it was fine. It broke after leaving the dealership. If they found foreign debris, what is it. It doeant just disappear, it would be caught by the converter if it got out. If an extremely lean injector burned a piston down they should have told you it wasn't safe to drive.