THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

A little market research

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 08:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A little market research

If there was a product available that enabled you to check email (Outlook as well as Web based), author / edit Microsoft Office documents, access the internet, as well as serve as an AM/FM/SAT receiver, CD/DVD player and a Nav Unit, would you guys be interested? What if you could run HP Tuners or EFI Live whenever you wanted? If combined with a Road Runner PCM this would enable realtime tuning for whatever the situation (track...upload a file, roadtrip...change the tune...you get the idea). This could also entail the possibility of attaching whatever peripherals you would like...ipod, camera, printer/scanner/fax for you mobile office types.

What would you exect to pay for this type of integration?
Old 05-02-2009, 08:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We talking like a handheld PC like thing? or? draw me a picture lol
Old 05-02-2009, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am talking about an interface that is built into the car. It is a stand alone computer that can do everything you can do on normal computers, plus it controls everything that your current audio system can do. You can plug a PDA or laptop into the system and have access to those files as well. This last option is more business oriented, but still a nice option to have.

Did that clarify it?
Old 05-02-2009, 07:55 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds very cool...seems like we're headed in that direction, the way of the future is here. I can't even imagine what that would cost at first though, a few g's I'd think?
Old 05-02-2009, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

well, I am in the process of developing the sofware that can enable all this...and for alot less than a few G's. we'll see if I can make it pan out.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:28 PM
Tribe Shaman

well if you can come up with something like the hyperpack that can give us the ability to tune with efi or hp, it would be worth a few bucks
Old 05-02-2009, 10:31 PM
13 Second Truck Club

That would be quite a machine, I would imagine $750~$2000.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:46 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

PM me for my address, I'm ready to test the prototype
Old 05-03-2009, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lightbulb

This idea is already being produced, it's called a Car PC! It is normally based on a Mini-ITX motherboard with low power consumption components using an external AC/DC power supply designed for the auto environment. Currently most are constructed in an enclosure that fits beneath a front seat that is about the size of a 400 to 600 watt mono-block amp. Create a "head-unit" with a touch type lcd screen, external DVD drive behind or below the screen, and a blue tooth receiver with auxillary input for an ipod! You're golden! Set up the satellite receiver through the blue-tooth or a USB connection, and run all your audio wires from the sound card installed on the mother board to your amp(s). Run an application like WinAmp or simillar to control your media and sound levels. Viola!

I forgot to add, it would be ideal to set up a battery backup/ alternate power situation (similar to a laptop, wire up a couple laptop batteries with charging circuitry/logic) that will be charged while being powered off of the AC/DC converter, then can be manually switched on (which would electrically disconnect the PC from the power system of the Truck/Car) when you want to tune with it! That way you eliminate the possibility of frying your tuning device or the ECU.

Last edited by ForcedTQ; 05-03-2009 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:49 AM
Where's the Beef?

Kinda on the same line. Doesn't the new dodge have built in WIFI?

I'd think this is only a few years off from being an option from the dealer

Quick Reply: A little market research