THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Lets talk about knives

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 08:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
So the 20 or 30 other reviews I read praising Spyderco knives weren't based on experience?
or they could have been from people who collect them and dont use them. i use knifes for what they are meant for, being used. ive broken three spydercos. hate them.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:41 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jared91
or they could have been from people who collect them and dont use them. i use knifes for what they are meant for, being used. ive broken three spydercos. hate them.
Most were reviewing that as every day carry knives. And what is your definition of what a knife is "meant for"? Any folding pocket knife is meant for small/medium duty cutting such as cardboard, string, rope, tape, etc. If you're sawing on wood or using it as a pry bar, then yes it is going to break.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:45 AM
TECH Resident

Most were reviewing that as every day carry knives. And what is your definition of what a knife is "meant for"? Any folding pocket knife is meant for small/medium duty cutting such as cardboard, string, rope, tape, etc. If you're sawing on wood or using it as a pry bar, then yes it is going to break.
all of the above except for the wood. would use it to pry open cardboard and what not. used to be a technician for retail i would build **** so i was always dealing with boxes
Old 12-01-2010, 08:48 AM
Wearin' da big hat

all of the above except for the wood. would use it to pry open cardboard and what not. used to be a technician for retail i would build **** so i was always dealing with boxes
Your problems were more than likely with the steel chosen for the blade than the manufacturer of the knife. Certain steels are more corrosion resistant, and hold an edge for longer, but are more brittle. While other knife blade steels are stronger, but have softer qualities and lose their edge much faster.

I know the spyderco's use some high grade steel, which is more brittle than cheaper knives. It's all about what you plan on using it for. You might have better luck with cheaper knives if you're wanting a "stronger" blade.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:21 AM
TECH Resident

Your problems were more than likely with the steel chosen for the blade than the manufacturer of the knife. Certain steels are more corrosion resistant, and hold an edge for longer, but are more brittle. While other knife blade steels are stronger, but have softer qualities and lose their edge much faster.

I know the spyderco's use some high grade steel, which is more brittle than cheaper knives. It's all about what you plan on using it for. You might have better luck with cheaper knives if you're wanting a "stronger" blade.
to me, a high quality knife should exhibit all of these qualities, something the spydercos do not. and for the record, it wasnt the blades that broke.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:27 AM
Wearin' da big hat

to me, a high quality knife should exhibit all of these qualities, something the spydercos do not. and for the record, it wasnt the blades that broke.
Unfortunately you can't have all of those qualities. Or at least not for an affordable price. Steel has different qualities, some are better than others in different areas.

What part broke? Was it a cheap spyderco?
Old 12-01-2010, 09:32 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spydercos aren't all THAT bad...just compared to Benchmade. Same goes for CRKT....Knives are a bit like trucks in that people get Brand happy. They are (Spyderco) one of the top production made knives.

Chit, this thread is making me want to spend $
Old 12-01-2010, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
So whats next for your arsenal the Rambo?
Hahaha, i called him the same thing yesterday. With all this knife and gun collecting. Change his avatar to RAMBO!!!
Old 12-01-2010, 09:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You want a real knife. Buy any of the knives from the guys listed below. These guys make benchmades look like junk.

http://chrisreeve.com/
http://www.microtechknives.com/
http://www.arizonacustomknives.com/artists/?artist=587
Old 12-01-2010, 09:44 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Originally Posted by zeake
You want a real knife. Buy any of the knives from the guys listed below. These guys make benchmades look like junk.

http://chrisreeve.com/
http://www.microtechknives.com/
http://www.arizonacustomknives.com/artists/?artist=587
Those aren't production knives though. I'm sure the quality on those is outstanding, but so is the price haha. If I could afford one I would no doubt buy one, but I'd be too afraid to use it.

Quick Reply: Lets talk about knives