THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Honest opinions please.....on job

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honest opinions please.....on job

OK so here is the deal.i have been working at my job for 5 years now building custom furniture, ie entertainment centers, bars, desks ect. I used to love it until about november we went from being 3 months behind to NOTHING to do. We have had some orders come in on and off nothing hard at all and about 3 weeks ago they cut my overtime, in which i lost about 600 bucks a month.

Now usually we are VERY busy during that time but we have been dead from about the first week in november and STILL are dead. i have gotten completly bored with my job and with havin nothin to do so i tend to drift off into la la land and think about how much i am getting screwed. i like workin there BUT the money sucks, the insurance plan sucks and NO retirement options or movment in the company, (small business.)

The more and more i think about it i am thinking it is time to move on and look for a different job. BUT after talking to some people that I know they say i should just stay where i am and be happy i at least have a job. there is nothing in the classifieds looking for anyone in my line of work.

I really don't know what to do....an opinions or other line of work i could use my skill in that you guys know of?

(you can see some of my work here --> http://www.contemporarywoods.com/)
Old 02-20-2006, 10:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Where are you located?

If youre in a good spot go into it for yourself! Work there and start taking off a few days and do work for ppl for cheaper than that place. Ive been in construction all my life and theres a lot of work out there. Just try it and get your name out, then if you want to, quit and keep doin what youre doin.
Just a thought. Good luck.
Derek
Old 02-20-2006, 11:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What other skills do you have? any school?

My dad's business is having about the same luck... no work since about novemeber.. and actually since 9/11/01 we saw a drastic drop in business and its never got back up to its full potential that it was pre 9/11 which is kind of scary.

the going into the business for yourself thing is a good idea... but im not too keen on wood work. Most of those things i see on the web page look like they are made with some type of equipment that could be expensive. Thats a good skill to have, wood working. I know here in georgia there is a huge cabinet making company that does all types of custom in home stuff like that and they are always looking for ppl... but it sounds like your not ready to venture out 1200 miles from anywhere, lol.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by virgils4.85spd
If youre in a good spot go into it for yourself! Work there and start taking off a few days and do work for ppl for cheaper than that place. Ive been in construction all my life and theres a lot of work out there. Just try it and get your name out, then if you want to, quit and keep doin what youre doin.
Just a thought. Good luck.
Derek
Give that a try.

I took a look at the website you listed, is the furniture veneer or solid oak?
I am looking into a new desk soon to replace my tiny desk (4'x2'). I have been looking around but most are laminate or veneer, I want a solid oak.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly man, stay where your at. I have seen people leave jobs many times because they thought they could do better somewhere else. Didnt happen. Not saying it cannot, but if you dont see anything or have anything lined up in definate, stay there. these days you are lucky to even be employed. With the economy etc.... My advice to you is stay for now but keep your eyes open, then if something comes up you know for sure will suit you jump on it. Now if your looking to go into it yourself, think about it its not a overnight decision, I own my own business also, so if you need advice on that end let me know. But thats my take on this situation. If there is something else you want to do besides woodworking Electrician, carpenter or etc..... then just look at a diffrent career. Maybe there will be a bigger demand in a diffrent field, but that then depends on what your knowledge, and skills are.

Good Luck!!!!
Old 02-21-2006, 12:09 AM
TECH Addict

Well, you could always join the military, get out and see the world for awhile. You're the same age as me. There's no reason to be locked into one job for the rest of your life unless you really REALLY like it. (I'm in my career field, but I stumbled into it by pure luck) There's still a lot of things you could do and see bro.

On the other hand, before you make any decisions, think of this. No matter where you go or what you do, there will always be slow times. No matter what. I work for the Dept. of the Army, basically for the Dept. of Defense. You'd think with two wars goin on, I'd be super busy. You'd be wrong. I've been milling around at work since before Christmas, so believe me when I say I know your pain.

And, you also need to remember that it's hard to find a job you like to do and can look forward to doing everyday. Now on that note, you said that the beni's weren't very good. Have you talked to your boss about that at all? You said it was a small company. To me, small company means tight nit, and that means that

a: you should be able to talk to them about virtually anything and

b: they should want to keep as many of their good employees around as they can.

So my advice to you is:

Talk to your bosses to see if they can do anything about the beni's

Think really hard about your situation before you decide to walk away from a job you know and enjoy. Finding a job is easy. Finding one you enjoy, that's an entirely different story.

If all else fails, take a step back and regroup. You've got a job and a paycheck right now, so there's not any rush to make a snap decision. Take advantage of that.

Good Luck

Rob
Old 02-21-2006, 12:56 AM
TECH Resident

Work sucks that is all there is to it i just found out that the company that i worked 4 for the past 5 years is going outa buisness,Oh well time to start lookin again
Old 02-22-2006, 08:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSlow 4.8
What other skills do you have? any school?

My dad's business is having about the same luck... no work since about novemeber.. and actually since 9/11/01 we saw a drastic drop in business and its never got back up to its full potential that it was pre 9/11 which is kind of scary.

the going into the business for yourself thing is a good idea... but im not too keen on wood work. Most of those things i see on the web page look like they are made with some type of equipment that could be expensive. Thats a good skill to have, wood working. I know here in georgia there is a huge cabinet making company that does all types of custom in home stuff like that and they are always looking for ppl... but it sounds like your not ready to venture out 1200 miles from anywhere, lol.
Honstly this is my only skill. did it in highschool for 5 years and i started here 2 weeks after i graduated.

THere are NO expensive tools at all, what so ever. all handheld routers and a tablesaw. NO big computers or anything.

i would go into business for myself, hell i would love too. but i dont have the cash flow to do that.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cbrich
Give that a try.

I took a look at the website you listed, is the furniture veneer or solid oak?
I am looking into a new desk soon to replace my tiny desk (4'x2'). I have been looking around but most are laminate or veneer, I want a solid oak.
ill build what ever you want....seriously. we do custom work all the time and will do about anything you want in whatever kinda wood you want. mostly we do work in MDF veneer trimmed in solid wood. we can do all solid but i will warn you, solid prices are high as hell right now and a all solid desk will be a pretty penny. most of the laminate we use are only on the desk top, helps for high traffic area's. if you are serious about wanting a desk, PM me and i can get ya squared away.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

203CREE--that is a ton of advice and thank you very much. i have actually thought quite a bit of going into the military but with a wife and kid i am a little hesatiant.
i intend on speaking with my boss first about the beni's but i want stuff to pick up first, i think it will help my chances a little.

The one motto i have always gone by is "i would rather work at a job that pays less and totally enjoy going to work than to make a better money and hate going to work." I get up everyday at 5:30 to get the wife and kid up and get everybody ready to get going. doesn't bother me a bit.

I would dearly love to go into business on my own, but i really don't have the cash flow to do it.

Quick Reply: Honest opinions please.....on job